SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Navigation System in Jeep Wrangler..Pros and cons
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Navigation System in Jeep Wrangler..Pros and cons Login/Join 
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted
Looking at a used Wrangler that has the Navigation system built in. For the cost, ($2000.00) compared to a similar one without the navigation system, is it worth having? We have our phones/iPad for navigation now and we don't plan on traveling the Country to need it in unfamiliar areas.

This Wrangler is spot on for what we want otherwise, just costs 2K more. Does anybody have the good and bad on having/using this system?

Thanks

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1376 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I will never intentionally buy a car with factory navigation again. The interfaces suck, they get outdated, updates are a pain, etc....

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
All my vehicles have built in GPS units. I carry a Garmin with me on trips.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Uconnect is widely considered amongst the best systems available today installed as OEM.

And congrats on the Wrangler....you'll smile everytime you get behind the wheel.

2017 JKUL Recon

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
If you research, you'll find that people that do take their Jeeps into the great unknown usually get aftermarket navigation systems anyway.

The only true benefit is the ability to hook up an aftermarket reverse camera system more easily.

Unless you're talking about a JL, which all models have the backup cameras.

I'd never pay 2gs for an in-car GPS system. Too many other options, starting with Google Maps on a phone. I've never had a stock navigation system that worked better than Google Maps.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pass.

If it's got the connectivity package, you can turn on your GPS on your device, connect it to the radio and you're good to go.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8338 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
The Uconnect system is very good.

I plug my iPhone into the USB and use Waze, Apple Maps, or Google maps with CarPlay. Android phones have a similar system. It might be worth it just to interface with your phone.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I'm looking at upgrades for my '12 Wrangler, AM FM Sirius CD with steering wheel controls. At 82k my AM is out, VF radio display is burning out. I've been looking at Crutchfield but would like some real world experience.

Don't want pop up screen, would like nav. Also keep Sirius, the CD and steering wheel controls.
Anybody done this and have suggestions?

Just started shopping, have some time as I just found out that I need a bridge and an extraction next week, that's number one.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
I'm looking at upgrades for my '12 Wrangler, AM FM Sirius CD with steering wheel controls. At 82k my AM is out, VF radio display is burning out. I've been looking at Crutchfield but would like some real world experience.

Don't want pop up screen, would like nav. Also keep Sirius, the CD and steering wheel controls.
Anybody done this and have suggestions?

Just started shopping, have some time as I just found out that I need a bridge and an extraction next week, that's number one.

wranglerforum.com has pages and pages of discussion on different options. I always consult there before making any purchases.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
As a JK owner these last 10 years, I've often visited various Jeep.forums to check out the various chatter about such equipment/options as OEM GPS.

On an informal basis of reviewing such install, my impression is about 3:1 bitching about some performance issue with the OEM.

I use a separate Garmin that suits my needs very well, and it's way easier/cheaper/faster to deal with them than any Jeep dealer repair.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
No integrated infotainment system is as good as a stand alone Garmin with lifetime map updates. And those suck in comparison to having an internet connected Smartphone.

I wish cars would stop putting giant infotainment screens in the center of the stack and go back to real buttons and switches for functions.

No matter how good it looks today, it will look outdated in no time.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
We work on lots of Jeeps-doing a speaker and amp upgrade on one tomorrow. You absolutely don't want to spend $2k for factory nav. I wouldn't spend $200. You're much better off with the most basic stereo they put in them, as it's easier and cheaper to upgrade.

As said, factory nav is soon out of date-even if in a brand new vehicle, the data is probably 6 months old.

If you want nav, you have to decide if you need a dedicated GPS based system, or just an interface for your phone nav to be controlled and displayed on the radio screen, either Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. The only advantage to the built in Nav is that it will work anywhere, even if you don't have your phone or phone service. Most people don't need that.

Apple CarPlay works very well, and you can get directions by voice command. And can send and receive texts by voice. Android Auto is similar, but not as smooth or polished.

If you want great sound, I highly recommend an Alpine sub that fits under the passenger seat, and a five channel amp/speakers of your choice. That Alpine sub does not fit in the new JL I don't think.

Again, for the money and the quality, I strongly suggest you find one without any premium sound or stereo features.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 2015 rubicon with the basic stereo. My plan is to install a Dasaita head unit (10.1" android based) and to use Gaia and waze for my navigation. I'll link it through my phone via bluetooth and just forget about all the uconnect bs. This also gives me the ability to get a Bluetooth ODBII dongle and get into the canvas to add backup and forward cams as well as modifying the toms sensor thresholds.

Check out wranglerforum to get all the details. Lots of knowledgeable folks over there.

Having full android oreo opens up all the apps I could ever want in the jeep.

Ken

Posts: 1049 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post