SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help me help my dad get a credit card, please and thank you.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me help my dad get a credit card, please and thank you. Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I'd probably just take a card out on my and give it to him, and let him pay me/the bill.

Posts: 11357 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
The 'cash-back' cards are always better than equivalent 'miles-earning' cards, as you can buy miles anytime you want them but the cash back reduces the cost for everything else you might buy, in addition to travel. Wink

He needs to build a credit history. Part of a credit rating is 'does he have assets' and 'does he pay his bills' but part of it is also 'will we make money dealing with him' and if he's not used credit before, this last bit is an open question.

And don't worry about the interest they charge. You just need to pay the bills in their entirety on or before the due date, and no interest applies. Done correctly, interest doesn't enter into the calculation.

Since building his own credit-use history is important, I wouldn't just rely on getting him a card on your account, but that can be part of the getting-started plan.

What I would do is have him get the largest-limit cash-back card he qualifies for, and then if that limit doesn't do it, do what rOgue suggests above, and also have a card issued to him on your account that you and he settle up.

Have him use his own first, to build that credit history, and only use yours when that's tapped out.

After a couple months of both active use, and timely payment, the bank will be more than receptive to upping his credit limit on request.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cash back is the way to go. Please talk him out of airline miles at his age and no plans to travel.

Citi card has a 2% cash back card I have been happy with. No restrictions. 1% when you purchase and 1% when you pay the balance.

Check out nerdwallet.com they have cards you can search by reward type.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SeaCliff:
Help him online with the Wells Fargo 2% Rewards Card. I think it starts at 4k.

Seriously?

Of all of the credit lending sources available, doing business in any capacity with Wells Fargo is quite possibly the worst advice you could ever give anyone. And for a senior citizen? Please.

Why would you recommend Wells Fargo ?

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post