SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Filing an LLC in Texas
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Filing an LLC in Texas Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted
Has anyone here done it?

There are services out there such as ZenBusiness and Legal Zoom who can do it for you. They charge a fee, of course. I'm wondering if it's worth paying someone else to deal with the headache.

I see you can it yourself through the Texas Secretary of State but their website is somewhat confusing and lacking to me.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Posts: 13084 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
We did ours through LegalZoom, IIRC. Only issue we ran into was some invalid recurring fres after we shut down the business. I don't recall if they were from LegalZoom or another entity.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15236 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pay an attorney. Make sure it is done correctly.

Posts: 17216 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
Easy enough to do yourself with the SOS. Just create an account. Make sure the name you want to use isn't taken already.

Posts: 1058 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlackTalonJHP:
Easy enough to do yourself with the SOS. Just create an account. Make sure the name you want to use isn't taken already.

I have created an account and made sure the name I want to use wasn't taken already.

But I can't seem to find the link to where I apply for it.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

Yes, of course.

More than making sure the filing is correct (which is important) a lawyer can help you decide if the LLC is the right entity to set up. Maybe some other entity would suit your purposes better. The lawyer will also guide you to setting the whole company structure up right and make sure you are prepared to maintain the entity correctly into the future and observe the provisions of the Business Organizations Code, thereby being sure you continue to reap the benefits you hope to have.

Will Legal Zoom do that for you? No, it will not.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53119 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get busy living
or get busy dying!
Picture of heathtx
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of LLCs and have two other LLCs with partners. All are in Texas

The local rate for filing an LLC is about 1300-$1500.

I would not risk messing up the formation of an entity vs paying a professional what I think is a reasonable fee.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rockwall County (God's Country) TX | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:
Originally posted by BlackTalonJHP:

I have created an account and made sure the name I want to use wasn't taken already.

But I can't seem to find the link to where I apply for it.

When you login to SOS Direct did you enter in your credit card information?

Posts: 1058 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
When you get past entering your payment information you should get to this screen under the Business Organizations menu. Choose LLC from the drop down menu (highlighted).

Have your completed form 205 and LLC agreement ready. I believe it costs $300 to file the form.

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
BlackTalonJHP,

Thank you very much!

For whatever reason, Domestic LLC wasn't popping up when I had clicked the drop down menu but I got it now.

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

Yes, of course.

More than making sure the filing is correct (which is important) a lawyer can help you decide if the LLC is the right entity to set up. Maybe some other entity would suit your purposes better. The lawyer will also guide you to setting the whole company structure up right and make sure you are prepared to maintain the entity correctly into the future and observe the provisions of the Business Organizations Code, thereby being sure you continue to reap the benefits you hope to have.

I'm not one to drive business to lawyers but when dealing with the government (legal entity and taxes), I would pay the relatively small insurance of getting a lawyer make sure all the ts are dotted and i's crossed. You don't want to go several years down the road before finding out something was set up incorrectly.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19633 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

Yes, of course.

Providing you get a competent attorney, not everyone that hangs out a shield is right for the job, make sure it's one that deals in corporate law.

Posts: 23360 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I'm as tight as they get with a dollar and I'd have an attorney do this plus talk to a CPA first.
Unless this is some simple hobby business and then I'd ask why you are bothering to incorporate at all.
To benefit from this type of business structure that are a number of other things you may need to do both in setting this up and operating it too.

Posts: 9488 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of robbiedog
posted Hide Post
I used an attorney to set up my LLC and 3 LP's. Easier for me to make sure it was done correctly and quickly - and have it be somebody else's headache.

Posts: 136 | Location: East Texas | Registered: December 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post