SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who drinks Sake?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who drinks Sake? Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:
I can't post a pic right now, but it's a blue bottle, almost a cube, about 2" each direction. The large text says "Bunraku" and "Forgotten Japanese spirit."

Bunraku = Japanese Puppet Play...

Neat! Thank you for that, kkina.
Now I wonder what Japanese puppet plays have to do with sake. Confused

God bless America.

Posts: 13561 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
And you didn't share with your neighbors.
Booooo. Big Grin

Having never had Sake but once before, I don't know whether this is good Sake or bad Sake. I wouldn't want to tarnish my reputation in the neighborhood by offering them rotgut Sake.. Big Grin

Like wine, one should drink what one enjoys Smile

Did you enjoy it?

Well, then, you done did good ! Big Grin

Yes, it was good, but just alien to me, in terms of taste. I think it would be better with a meal, than alone.

LOL, it convoluted my mind, trying to figure out if it was liquor or wine !

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now I wonder what Japanese puppet plays have to do with sake.

I'm trying to figure that out myself!

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16435 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
And you didn't share with your neighbors.
Booooo. Big Grin

Having never had Sake but once before, I don't know whether this is good Sake or bad Sake. I wouldn't want to tarnish my reputation in the neighborhood by offering them rotgut Sake.. Big Grin

Like wine, one should drink what one enjoys Smile

Did you enjoy it?

Well, then, you done did good ! Big Grin

Yes, it was good, but just alien to me, in terms of taste. I think it would be better with a meal, than alone.

LOL, it convoluted my mind, trying to figure out if it was liquor or wine !

Ahhh, very good point. We were discussing your thought and perhaps sushi or a carpacio or perhaps enjoy whilst snacking on dried squid?

ETA: she just contacted a relative for some input and the response was that seafood is a good way to go.

Posts: 4918 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Sunset - yea, I wouldn’t recommend visiting west of the Japanese alps or north near Hokkaido during snow season.

But during summer, if you visit the alps like Mt Tateyama on a good day, if you can make it to the summit for sunrise, it’s an amazing view especially if you can see the peak of Mt Fuji that day as well.

No matter where you go, there is something uniquely commonly beautiful to see. Lushness of Nikko. Suzuran of Hokkaido. Hotaru ika of Toyama. Riverside of Gion. Countryside onsens of Kyushu.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12804 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I concur with seafood. While sashimi is obvious, I especially like sake with shellfish like (real) amaebi (never really see it here) or abalone or crab or lobster. Also grilled fish like ayu or shishamo.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12804 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Sunset - yea, I wouldn’t recommend visiting west of the Japanese alps or north near Hokkaido during snow season.

But during summer, if you visit the alps like Mt Tateyama on a good day, if you can make it to the summit for sunrise, it’s an amazing view especially if you can see the peak of Mt Fuji that day as well.

No matter where you go, there is something uniquely commonly beautiful to see. Lushness of Nikko. Suzuran of Hokkaido. Hotaru ika of Toyama. Riverside of Gion. Countryside onsens of Kyushu.

Lake Tazawa

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Have you watched the Korean drama Iris? They told a story about that statue. Haven’t confirmed a Japanese version of it yet. Tragically beautiful.

Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Have you watched the Korean drama Iris? They told a story about that statue. Haven’t confirmed a Japanese version of it yet. Tragically beautiful.

I haven't seen Iris. My understanding is, even in dead winter that lake never freezes. The maiden of rhe lake tale is sad.
Found out last year through Helix, I have 15% Asian ancestry. Mother always told me, that my father and I did not resemble my uncles on my father's side. Didn't mean to thread drift.

美しい犬

Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
It's your thread, drift it all you want Smile

Too old of a Cat,
to be licked by a Kitten
Picture of Klusk2
posted Hide Post
When I was in Japan in the 80's, I had some and it was served warm, I liked it Smile I've never tried it cold, looks like I may have to now.

The Working Police.....
"We the willing, led by the unknown, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful."

Posts: 2514 | Location: "Mag"azine Mile | Registered: February 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post

Shibuya Sake / Hachiko Label

美しい犬

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I lived in a Sake producing region for a while in Fukushima prefecture, and had lots of it during that time. I do enjoy it, all ways, up to and including Sake Bombers here in the states, but I rarely ever drink it. I should have brought more back with me when I left.

Consequently, the "Lake Tahoe" of Japan, and it's fourth largest lake overall - Lake Inawashiro, near Mt Bandai, is similarly gorgeous. Mirror like, mountains everywhere.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I picked up a bottle of Dassai 50 - it was on sale for $20 (from $30). The Dassai 23 was $100.

I still have my 23; I'm drinking the 50. It's pretty decent. I just finished a bottle of Watari Bune 55. I prefer the Watari but the Dassai 50 is very nice. I would definitely buy again.

Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear that you are enjoying it.

Just mentioned your post to my wife.

She said there is a large variety at an equally large variety of prices. Also that Amazon is a good place to look at prices and varieties.

We just picked up a bottle of Dassai 39 at the Japanese market, as that is all they have. Looking forward to trying it.

Happy New Year ! Smile

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
If I ever do try Sake, it will be warm sake.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12366 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post