SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Rise and fall of Sears and Roebuck.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rise and fall of Sears and Roebuck. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Shame what has become of Sears. I worked for them in corporate headquarters a long time ago. It was a good place to work back then. It seemed as though once employed by Sears you never left. I remember working with people that were there for 40 plus years. Stocks were about 125 dollars a share and I knew some people made out real good when the stocks split 2 for one, sometimes 3 for one and when they worked their way back up people were real happy. I left because I always wanted to be a Chicago Police Officer and when I received my letter from the City I had to go. Had that letter never come I probably would still be there.

Posts: 5787 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I have fond memories back in the late 50s taking the bus with my grandmother from Austell GA to Atlanta to go shopping...it always included another bus ride from the Riches department store to the ”big” Sears on North Avenue. As a kid this was always an adventure which included escalators Razz and the awesome popcorn/candy/hot cashews stand that greeted you when you entered from the street...I can still smell the hot cashews Smile. Back in the day if you needed a car battery you bought a Diehard (I rebuilt several engines with kits ordered from their catalog in the 70s). Sears was so much apart of my life (I still have a Craftsman corded drill and belt sander that are still rocking after 30 years) l was sad when our local mall Sears closed here in Cleveland TN Frown

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10592 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
In the early 1980s I used to shop in on of the "original" 1920s Sears stores. Built upon a flood plain on the site of a former colonial era flour mill, the lower sporting good level always had a mildew smell. It was usually empty.

A Craftsman Hardware Store was the most convenient I've ever shopped, however. It always had traffic.

Yesterday I changed the spark plugs in my '08 Subaru. With my Craftsman ratchet. One of the plugs was seized, and with a piece of ¾" copper pipe as a cheater, the ratchet performed admirably. I've got Craftsman tools across the entire spectrum of tool choices.

Eddie Lampert: "Acting in his own self-greed".

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post