SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Electric Water heaters - educate me
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electric Water heaters - educate me Login/Join 
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted
Well the Rheem 52 gallon water heater that was installed when the house was built in 1978 has given up the ghost.

It isn't a matter of replacing elements or thermostats as it now leaks.

I am sure I will get one from the plumbing supply company and not Home Depot, but what do I need to look for other than dimensions and capacity?

I want to buy one that will last another 20 years or more as I believe in the theory of "buy once; cry once".

Posts: 3568 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
52 gallon water heater that was installed when the house was built in 1978

You got your money's worth, average life is 12 to 15 years.

Go buy a new one, most are all made by a very few so they are all pretty much the same.
Nothing wrong with Home Depot units.
No rocket surgery here.
YMMV

Posts: 23227 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Get one with a fiberglass tank!!!!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25656 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5218 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bradford white and AO smith tend to be the 2 best ones. The lifespan you got was highly unusual and way over their expected lifespan of 12-15 years.

Posts: 21417 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
See if your Electric company Leases them.. Ours does it costs us $12 a month.. But they give us a $10 credit on our bill each month because it only runs on off peak hours. I have never run out of hot water. Best part is they have 24>7 support that will replace it if anything goes wrong.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9089 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
You'all must have the magic water there in O-Land. Or maybe the electrolysis is in Goldilocks Balance. Another thing I've been pondering (I do this a lot) is that well water will be a constant temperature, which would be good for the tank.

I've seen, literally, 40 year old tanks running perfectly. No sediment build-up. And new tanks fail at 5 years 50 weeks ...

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
You'all must have the magic water there in O-Land. Or maybe the electrolysis is in Goldilocks Balance. Another thing I've been pondering (I do this a lot) is that well water will be a constant temperature, which would be good for the tank.

I've seen, literally, 40 year old tanks running perfectly. No sediment build-up. And new tanks fail at 5 years 50 weeks ...

I have changed the valve on this one from a cheap plastic valve to a 3/4 inch brass ball valve with hose fitting a few years ago, and you should see the chunks of calcium/minerals that I have blown out of this tank.

I started to hear it filling, and thought I was hearing pressure relief a week or so ago. Today I saw water in the drip pan, and a little overflow on the closet floor.

I don't have water damage on the floor as I think I caught it in time.

I want to thank all of you for your advice. I think a 50-65 gallon tank is what I am looking for with the idea that bigger gives more hot water.

Posts: 3568 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A new 50 gallon should provide twice the hot water you have now.

Posts: 21417 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
went to the Plumbing supply and got the best they had a Pro-line commercial grade. $400.00, and then had it installed.

We now have hot water.

Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Ain't it grand? Piped hot water is one of my favorite inventions.

Bradford White told me a few months ago their 6- and 10- year warranted products are exactly the same. But in general, you get better hardware - valves and such - on the better product lines.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post