SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Update p2: 1970 Honda CL350...nay
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Update p2: 1970 Honda CL350...nay Login/Join 
Barbarian at the Gate
Picture of Belwolf
posted
Anyone out there have any experience with these?
Looking at one that's in good condition. Totally rebuilt has some aftermarket parts such as exhaust and most of the frame has been blacked out.
Looking to get it as a commuter, figured it'd be good in that role. Course, I'm 57 and I know that is not exactly going to be a soft ride.
What say you all?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Belwolf,

“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”
― John Adams

"Fire can be our friend; whether it's toasting marshmallows, or raining down on Charlie."
- Principal Skinner.

Posts: 4361 | Location: Thonotosassa, FL | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
It'd work as a commuter but about the same as a 1970 Plymouth Valiant would as a car. In other words compared to a more modern vehicle you're taking quite a step down in regards to braking, ride, handling, and reliability. If in mechanically sound condition it'll work just fine but vehicles of that period that were new required much more upkeep than modern stuff, and the fact that what you're considering is 1/2 century old means even more. I would make sure the brakes are working as they should, tires, air filter, and battery are new or fairly new, it has a fresh tune up with new plugs and points, no fuel leaks around the tank, petcock, carburetors, and the inside of the tank itself is clean with no rust or flacking paint.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7102 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't buy something like that for a regular rider. It would be as a collector item if you're into that type of bike and can work on it yourself. Fun, quick weekend rides.

If you're not planning on working on it yourself, is there an indy shop somewhere nearby that can? Doubt the dealers will be able to.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
For a leisure bike, go for it.
For a commuter, at least for me in Houston, I'd want a bit more displacement/power.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15342 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I bought a brand new CL350 and it was a step up
from my 305 Super Hawk.....of course that was
FIFTY YEARS AGO.....
There's better ways to spend time & money IMHO

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reliability for a commuter would be important to me and I do not think the reliability will be there.

My previous commuter was a 2012 Kawasaki KLR650. I intended to use it on more trails but never really got around to it much.

I bought a 2022 Yamaha MT-09 last July. Since then, I have put less than 1,000 miles on my truck. If I drive nice, I average 54 mpg on the MT-09 and I get reimbursed for mileage.

It is a blast to ride and has more power than I need.

Posts: 1071 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I had a '78 (or so) CB360, which had the successor and slightly bigger motor. It was not a scrambler, like the CL was. The CB was the "road" version. I was in college at the time.

But it is a similar bike. It was the typical smallish displacement universal Japanese motorcycle.

It was simple and very reliable. It was easy to start, even with the kick starter, although it had electric start. Easy to work on. A good around town bike, although a bit small to be fully comfortable on the highway.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I bought a '71 CL350 new when I was 17. Great bike.
Loved that scrambler, thought I wouldn't want to commute on one now.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16524 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
For around the neighborhood, maybe a cruise on the weekend to a bike event/show or back road, sure, but daily transport might be much, especially if you're out in normal AM/PM drive time traffic.

If you are going to do that a 600+cc bike might be a better choice. IF you just like the retro style and really want to commute on it check out the Kawasaki W800, it's a pretty good modern take on the 70-80's import bikes. Plus warranty, and 800CC

Link

Posts: 23481 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Kawasaki also has the Z650RS, if you want something lower displacement.
Shockingly, the W800 is only $100 more, on MSRP. But either way, you're looking at around $10k new.
The Vulcan S starts at $7400

I had a Vulcan S for about a year, fun bike. Bit of a hybrid sport cruiser.
Cruiser body with the Ninja/Z 650 engine. 10k RPM Cool

Posts: 15342 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
If you can accept the non-traditional looks, the Honda Pacific Coast is an ideal commuter bike. While the HP is low at 55, it's got an 800cc engine, plenty of storage space in the built in"trunk", runs comfortably all day long at speeds from 25 to 75 or more, gets over 50mpg, has a full fairing for weather protection, and being a Honda it's bulletproof.

I know as I had a 1994 as my first bike and put 12k miles on it in 12 months. Sold it years ago but when my wife started riding we got her a 1997 for her first bike and we still have it even though she's upgraded to a larger bike (Honda Goldwing F6B).

If you can find one in decent condition it'll serve you well for your commuting purposes. And odds are you can find a nice low mileage one easily for $2500 or less.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6734 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Barbarian at the Gate
Picture of Belwolf
posted Hide Post
We seem to share many of the same concerns and I am also looking at a Vulcan S, Kawasaki W800, and a few Royal Enfield models (Int650, Hunter or Meteor 350). The mid sized are used the last two new. The Kawi cafe is intriguing for sure but may be a little more than I want to spend.

I should add my commute is 9 miles each way over country/suburban back roads so I figured the CL would be OK for that and local convenience store runs. It does have its own old school charm and would be the cheapest but I'd prefer if it was stock. My weekend long hauler is a 2012 Road King Police.

I'll be checking them all out tomorrow.

“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”
― John Adams

"Fire can be our friend; whether it's toasting marshmallows, or raining down on Charlie."
- Principal Skinner.

Posts: 4361 | Location: Thonotosassa, FL | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
With that in mind, the CL might not be bad.
My commute is 19 miles, 95% Houston highway.
The Vulcan never felt underpowered, which I'd assume similar gearing in the Z650/Versys/Ninja.

Also used my FIL's Indian Scout a few times when we had a car in the shop. S&S 88, plenty of torque, but lazier handling.

Came close a couple times on a couple older BMWs owned by a member on here, btu the timing never worked out, and the 2k mile round trip to pick it up.

posted Hide Post
My first bike was a Kawasaki 305 LTD. It was a great little commuter bike for the situation I had then; 25 miles of suburb/city traffic with a max speed limit of 45 in a few stretches. I rode it in to work once a week, weather permitting. The CL should be a fantastic time travel commuter.

Posts: 3223 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IMO, for commuting, I would look for a late '60's to mid '70's Yamaha XS650. Looks like an early Triumph, but does not leak oil and is much more reliable. And, parts are not expensive.

A cheap HD Sportster is another choice, IMO.

but a 1970 Honda CL350, uh no.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
IMO, for commuting, I would look for a late '60's to mid '70's Yamaha XS650. Looks like an early Triumph, but does not leak oil and is much more reliable. And, parts are not expensive.

A cheap HD Sportster is another choice, IMO.

but a 1970 Honda CL350, uh no.

In that vein, a Nighthawk 750 as well

Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
There's a one owner 2012 Suzuki Burgman 650 maxi scooter w/1200 miles for sale near me. Ask is $4900 and I'm tempted. Smile

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
There's a one owner 2012 Suzuki Burgman 650 maxi scooter w/1200 miles for sale near me. Ask is $4900 and I'm tempted. Smile

I have seen people biking cross country on a Burgman 650. I believe there's a Burgman forum on the Internet. Why not check it out?

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
An old 70’s bike itself would be fine, if in great running condition. One thing that jumps out is the carb(s), long time, sits, likely ethanol fuel. I’m sure they had maintenance done to them, still no guarantee.

I had a 1970 CB-750, long gone. I have no idea what’s available parts wise, to keep them running.

Posts: 6170 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admit nothing. Deny everything.
Make counter-accusations.
Picture of rkentm
posted Hide Post
Have one. Was my FIL’s, and he bought it new. As a daily commuter I would say no way. Prone to mechanical issues and nowhere near the power/handling I would need to feel comfortable in even nominal traffic.

"Ladies and Gentlemen - The Fit has hit the Shan!"

Posts: 570 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post