SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    'Thin blue line' flag honoring police removed from Connecticut State Capitol after Dems complain
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

'Thin blue line' flag honoring police removed from Connecticut State Capitol after Dems complain Login/Join 
posted
https://www.washingtontimes.co...es-thin-blue-line-f/

A “thin blue line” flag meant to honor law enforcement was removed from the Connecticut State Capitol this week after Democrats complained it might offend Black Lives Matter supporters.

The handmade wooden plaque depicting a “thin blue line” flag — an altered American flag with a horizontal blue stripe through the center — was recently donated to the Capitol building by a member of the State Capitol Police. Until this week, it hung in the Police Memorial Hall connecting the Legislative Office Building to the Capitol building, a local NBC affiliate reported.

The Office of Legislative Management, which originally approved the piece without it going through the normal vetting process, ultimately decided to take it down after some legislators complained it could be interpreted as anti-Black Lives Matter, ;NBC Connecticut reported.

Similar flags have made appearances in counter-protests during Black Lives Matter demonstrations across the country. In 2017, a version of the thin blue line flag was removed from a courthouse in Oregon after the symbol was displayed by white supremacists at the deadly Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville, Virginia.

“In the context of history behind it, a lot of my members expressed a lot of concerns, especially in this building,” Connecticut state Rep. Brandon McGee, chairman of the Black & Puerto Rican Caucus, told NBC Connecticut.

“We are not anti-police,” Mr. McGee said. “We support our men in blue, but we also know that given the history around black people, people of color with respect to this particular issue, I just think it was necessary for us to share our concerns with our leadership.”

While the artwork sits in storage waiting to be returned to its owner, Republicans are fighting for it to be reinstated.

“This flag intended to honor the work, dedication, sacrifice and lives of our past and present officers,” House Republican leader Themis Klarides told the Hartford Courant. “To suggest that this American flag that was donated by the State Capitol Police is anything other than honorable is categorically false. The House Republican caucus would like to publicly request that the American flag honoring our law enforcement officers here at the Capitol and throughout Connecticut be put back in its rightful and approved location — the Police Memorial Hall here at the Capitol.”

In an interview Wednesday night with a local Fox affiliate, Mr. McGee said he would be open to seeing the flag reinstated after becoming more “educated” on its meaning during a conversation with John Krupinsky, president of the Connecticut State Fraternal Order of Police.

“Having had conversations with John, I was a bit more educated on the differences between the flags,” Mr. McGee said. “I hope that this conversation does not stop today.”

Posts: 12723 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Shaka, when the walls fell.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
If I were a member of the Connecticut state house, I'd be wearing one of these every day for the next month to try and impart my true feelings about Mr. McGee's "concerns".

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:

“We are not anti-police,” Mr. McGee said. “We support our men in blue...."

They keep saying this, but there actions always say something else.

Posts: 6064 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
What’s “black lives matter”? Some kind of racist organization?

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15611 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Yuh know...I wish I had to the time to sit idly day after day and think about all the male bovine fecal matter that offends me. [JSMH]... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
Damn!, isn't there anything that can be done that won't offend someone or some group?

And why the hell do we pander to those that are 'offended',

Posts: 3852 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Replaced with a more politically correct 'Black lives matter" sign?

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
Don't they realize that the Black Lives Matter flags and signs will hurt the feelings of the men and women in Blue?

Oh wait, nevermind........

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1729 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Statewide the Police should not go to work anymore, because seeing that they are the actual police they are probably even more offensive by just existing...

Houston Texas, if the heat don't kill ya, the skeeters will.

Posts: 359 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
If the state police provide any protective details they need to stop. More troopers to fight actual crime ya know.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:

“We are not anti-police,” Mr. McGee said. “We support our men in blue...."

They keep saying this, but there actions always say something else.

totally agree

watch what a person DOES / has DONE --- not what he / she SAYS...

actions not words

--------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig229-SAS:
Damn!, isn't there anything that can be done that won't offend someone or some group?

And why the hell do we pander to those that are 'offended',

because we're not allowed to track them down and beat the shit out of them

yet

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53215 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
It would be nice to see, "Democrats removed from Capitol after police complain".

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I thought Anti-Fa and Black Lives Matter were identified as domestic terrorist organizations.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37992 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post