SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kenai Alaska, good place for dinner?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kenai Alaska, good place for dinner? Login/Join 
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted
Grandkids are in Kenai working and will be celebrating their birthday this month. I would like to gift them a good birthday dinner. Any recommendations?

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
A search on Google maps will provide options, check reviews. Then look & see how any gift certificates are sold.

Posts: 6167 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
posted Hide Post
Was hoping for some personal knowledge. Experienced Sig Forum members information is better than some Google poster. Thanks anyway.

BIDEN SUCKS.

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I was off-grid camping with my family along the Monahan.

We're not exactly well known for our culinary genius here in Kenai.

Places that you won't USUALLY get sick eating at:
Louie's Steakhouse (mediocre breakfast, pretty much a local favorite in winter when the tourists staying at the hotel don't take all the seats)
The Flats Bistro (opened recently, the imported chef was good pre-covid, not sure who is there now. This was the only place to find better quality meals, but as with most of our dining establishments...its hit or miss depending on who is working that night)
Playa Azul (not great by lesser 49 standards, but probably the only Mexican food on the Kenai Peninsula where you won't end up with Montezuma's Revenge afterwards)
St. Elias Brewing (Good local family, great beer, better than average pizza at a ridiculous price)
Firehouse BBQ (Seems to move every 6 months to a new location, a local favorite but I cannot figure out why. It's not great, and costs way too much. Also, it isn't BBQ)

Places to avoid: Buckets Sports Grill, Addie Camp, King Salmon, Froso's Family, Siam That, Sushi Exchange, Pizza Boys, Mykel's, The Catch, Kenai River Brewing (due to the very prominent local liberal politics----that goes for Idies, and Everything Bagels), Schnitzel Bomber, The Duck Inn (a local favorite, but I've gotten food poisoning both times I ate there, and the food was not any good. Worst food next to Buckets...which really can't be topped for worst food), New Peking, Charlotte's, Los Compadres, Paridisos, Brothers Cafe (food poisoning again), Veronica's, Don Jose Kenai, New Peking Kenai, Main Street Tap & Grill (Kenai), B&H Pizza.

Homer has several restaurants worth driving to, consider a treat to: Fat Olives, Kannery Grill (only open during tourist season, but excellent food)

Hope this helps. I'm a bit of a foodie, and I've tried nearly every restaurant in Alaska. My company has also appraised many of them, and some of them got on the do not use list due to what we saw. Obviously...I'm not going to say which ones. Trust me on the "Do not eat list".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the outstanding information. I may just send them some money by Zelle to spend as they wish.

Hope you enjoyed your camping trip. Spending time with family is worth the effort.

BIDEN SUCKS.

blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Thank you for the outstanding information. I may just send them some money by Zelle to spend as they wish.

Hope you enjoyed your camping trip. Spending time with family is worth the effort.

$100 will usually allow for a mid-level dining experience for 2 in Alaska at a reputable restaurant. It won't fund 2 plates of the catch of the day or any premium dishes, and I can't feed a family of 4 on a budget typically for less than $100 either.

Keep that in mind. $100 will fund a smaller beef ribeye primal at our local 3 bears (think rural costco), and I can typically cut 8-10 thick ribeyes out of that. If you sous vide them then finish on the grill, it passes for a good steak. Choice ribeyes cost 5x as much.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
posted Hide Post
Thanks again. I'm going to provide them with a "Go" and "No Go" list from your post and Zelle some money to them. They are doing mission work, so we will see how it goes.

BIDEN SUCKS.