SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    BMW Motorcycle Folks - I've been offered an interesting trade.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BMW Motorcycle Folks - I've been offered an interesting trade. Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Price seems a bit lower than similar R11xxR that I've seen on CL around here.
They seem to hover in the low 2 to mid 3k range with moderate mileage.

A few R12C for what seems below average prices, but a bit of an oddball model for BMW.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15322 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a similar idea to Tacfoley - older is better. I wouldn’t buy a 1995 as a first Beemer. Older is simpler to maintain and often cheaper. The exception is when you get to 1969 and older - then the parts start getting expensive again.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Tac, you don’t like the tele-lever suspension? It surprised the hell out of me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris42:
I have a similar idea to Tacfoley - older is better. I wouldn’t buy a 1995 as a first Beemer. Older is simpler to maintain and often cheaper. The exception is when you get to 1969 and older - then the parts start getting expensive again.

I'd move the date forward a little bit, at least for something like a wiring harness.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Moot point now, folks.

I must have underpriced the DRZ, I got a herd of replies within 24 hours and one guy ponied up the asking price plus delivery charge.

Trucked it 150 miles down state this morning and he handed me a pile of nice crisp hundies. Everybody is happy, especially the toy fund.

I think I feel a case of 5.56 and a case of 9mm coming on...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
If I ever decide to get back on a motorcycle it will for sure be a BMW...

I Read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" 3 times....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:

I loved my R24, 25 and 26, R50 and R50S and R69s...

Had over 100,000 miles on them, all added up, of swift, near-silent joie de vivre.
The classics! My first BMW was an R50, bought it new in 1960. The going price for these, back then, was right around $1,000.00, new. It was my commuter in New York City traffic. The bastages stole it one evening while I was in class.

It was maybe 15 years later that I bought an R69S.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rock Paper
Scissors
Lizard Spock
Picture of James in Denver
posted Hide Post
Looks like the OP conducted a deal...

But to add to the R11R discussion...

My 99 R11R had the fuel "siphoned" from one side of the tank. While the tank is just over 5 gallons (I believe), in reality, you only got 4 +/- gallons of fuel due to the "lobe" on the right (?) side not being siphoned by the fuel system.

BMW Riders Association bulletin board (yes, that long ago), had a work around where you would put a cross hose in the gas tank to ensure both sides got drained, giving the total 5+ gallons.

In addition, there was a guy somewhere in the southeast (SC maybe) that would take the tanks and expand them to 9+ gallons. Much longer cruising distance!!!

The one good thing I liked about the R11R as opposed to my K-Bike (and even the R12 if you can believe it) is that the suspension could be set really low for "short guys" like me. I'm only 5'6" and I could flat-foot it.

One other quirk worth mentioning... the R11R (and other R-bikes of similar vintage I think) had the exhaust pipes come UP in the rear, which interferes with the hard-case saddle bags. So, you have a full sized (right) and an half-or-less-sized (left).

The solution was to put an RT exhaust on it to lower the exhaust and allow full sized bags.

My 2 cents...

Congrats to the OP on the sale!!!

James

----------------------------
"Voldemorte himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!"
Book 6 - Ch 23

Posts: 4484 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I had a 1993 R1100RS. Problems from thie era were the box 'O rocks gearbox with bad shifting and shifter dog issues, and surging at constant mild throttle settings. My transmission was replaced under warranty, but by 1995 the problems had been sorted out. It still never shifted as well as the Japanese machines, but the shifter dog issues were fixed.

The surging was real, but could be all but eliminated with careful throttle body synching. You could also substitute the GS air inlet runners for the stock parts, which gave you a boost of low end at the expense of top end. Also, there is the ever present transmission output shaft spline issue, which is really nothing more than a periodic maintenance issue.

Overall a very good bike if you like what BMW was offering, which I do, so I give it two thumbs up.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
They didn’t smooth the gearbox out with the 1150 motor. Compared to Japanese bikes it’s very clunky. I will say it’s 6th gear is TALL as hell. My big old GS rarely sees 6th gear because unless you are going 70-75+ the revs get so low it feels like it wants to stall. I understand why people like to road trip on these machines.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I don't know what the current BMW gear boxes are like, but my 2005 R1200GS is still a bit balky compared to just about any other motorcycle. And yea, that tall 6th gear is nice on the super slab.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post