SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need help ID’ing spider that bit the wife **picture warning”
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help ID’ing spider that bit the wife **picture warning” Login/Join 
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
That is clearly not a Black Widow or a Brown Recluse. It could be a funnel or ground hunting spider but without a clearer pic it’s difficult to determine. Any spider venom can cause a reaction, some serious, depending to a persons sensitivity. A lot of bite reactions are rapid and most reverse fairly quickly. If her symptoms are continuously subsiding, I’d keep a close eye on the bite site to decide if a visit to a practitioner is warranted.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Do not think that is a black widow. The ones I have seen (a lot) have a more bulbous abdomen, and are pretty shiny.

No idea what that one in the picture is, but in any case, take it and wife to the hospital, ASAP!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
Thanks guys! This happened this morning, I’m just getting home. Her finger is still swollen, but the color (discolor?) is back to normal. I’ve seen black widows when we had a house in the outer banks, I didn’t think we got them up here though

We had them in North Idaho!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
USA Spider Identification Chart

This site will send you a free spider identification chart. Just ordered mine.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Now that your wife is out of danger, I'll tell you about my friend who is a landscaper. He picked up a bundle of leaves and felt a pinch on his hand. Didn't think anything of it.

When he left work his hand was slightly swollen and tender. He woke up in the middle of the night and his hand was ballooned out, discoloured, and his whole forearm swollen. He went to the ER and they put him on a 6 hour infusion of anti-venom and anti-bacterials-- and told him that if this didn't work, they would have to amputate his arm to save his life.

Eek

He was bitten by a Brown Recluse.

Luckily, the antibiotics and other drugs worked.

I had no idea, before he told me his story, just how dangerous a spider bite could be-- other than a Black Widow, which everybody knows about.

If you are bitten by a spider, and you get swelling and discolouration, get your ass to an ER asap. Suppose you are overreacting. How much better is that than being told that you might need an amputation!

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:
Now that your wife is out of danger, I'll tell you about my friend who is a landscaper. He picked up a bundle of leaves and felt a pinch on his hand. Didn't think anything of it.

When he left work his hand was slightly swollen and tender. He woke up in the middle of the night and his hand was ballooned out, discoloured, and his whole forearm swollen. He went to the ER and they put him on a 6 hour infusion of anti-venom and anti-bacterials-- and told him that if this didn't work, they would have to amputate his arm to save his life.

Eek

He was bitten by a Brown Recluse.

Luckily, the antibiotics and other drugs worked.

I had no idea, before he told me his story, just how dangerous a spider bite could be-- other than a Black Widow, which everybody knows about.

If you are bitten by a spider, and you get swelling and discolouration, get your ass to an ER asap. Suppose you are overreacting. How much better is that than being told that you might need an amputation!

Happened to me the 2nd week of July. Never saw the spider, but based on the injury to my left foot, the ER staff said it was a Recluse. They kept me overnight and gave me all sorts of meds. There were 2, 60cc syringes of antibiotics given over 12 hours that I still feel the effects. My foot was so swollen they took x-rays to make sure it wasn't broken. Took 6 weeks for the swelling to go away. I'm lucky the wife made me go to the ER. Same as your buddy; all I felt was a pinch after looking for material in a woodpile, didn't think anything of it.

Posts: 78 | Location: South Florida | Registered: April 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
That isn't a black/brown widow. Wrong shape and legs. It's also not a fiddleback. It may be a hobo spider, the picture isn't detailed enough to make out the markings, but blurrily, looks like a hobo.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife didn't feel the bite at all. She saw the spider and I squashed it. We posthumously named it "Smush". She spent 14 days in the hospital fighting a resistant infection. At one point told her to get her will updated and affairs in order as they were down to one IV antibiotic she wasn't allergic to. Took over a year for the wound to heal. Spider bites are nothing to treat lightly.

Posts: 1314 | Location: Gainesville, VA | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
I have seen lots of black widow spiders, and they don't look like that here in south Georgia.
I don't know what it is.
I was bit by a spider of unknown type, and it took three weeks of antibiotics to cure the infection. Immediate medical attention is the correct answer.

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7210 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Update from the OP would be welcome. Just sayin

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Squishing spiders is sort of satisfying. But about 30 years ago I was doing something on a junk IH rear end and there was the biggest and nastiest black widow I'd ever imagined. But I had a cutting torch in my hand so I gassed the oxygen to fry the spidy. He gave off the most pleasant "pop" when he toasted. Better than stepping on them or spraying them with poison. Other methods work, but then so does seeing them explode. A dead spider is a good spider.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
My wife lost a silver dollar sized chunk out her arm due to a MRSA infection that developed at the site of a spider bite, not the bite itself. Three days in the hospital on IV antibiotics about 5 years ago and surgery to remove the affected tissue.

I guess I have just been lucky, Black widow and Brown Recluse are plentiful here. I have had too many spider bites to count, mostly from working under old houses including one that is just now healing, but I never had any that required medical intervention.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
I agree that an update from the OP would be good.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On a humorous note, back in my early policing days my partner and I were BSing late one night with another officer who had parked next to us, his drivers door next to our passenger door. Other officer handed my partner a glass jar with with a beautiful (if ever such a thing) black widow spider. It was HUGE and had the bright red hourglass on abdomen. I was driving and after examining the spider, I turned off the interior light with my partner holding the glass jar in his lap while we talked with the other officer. I reached across the seat, touched the hair on back of my partner's neck and let out a small squeal. He screamed like a little girl and almost kicked out the interior of our police car. He couldn't get out as car next to us was too close. His passenger door sounded like a machine gun against the other officer door, ha.

Posts: 265 | Location: Weatherford, TX | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post