SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question for the electricians (and/or builders)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for the electricians (and/or builders) Login/Join 
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted
We're planning for a kitchen remodel.
Right now we have an electric range (gas is not available on our street) with a 220v line.

My wife wants a double wall oven, which will mean a separate electric cooktop. Will we need to run another 220v line?

There's no room in the electrical panel, so I'm hoping that isn't the case, or it's going to get more expensive.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16539 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
The Viking specifications for their double wall oven state only they need 50 amps current capacity. I have no idea what I'm talking about officially, but your question sparked a bit of research as I am also planning a kitchen remodel. 50 amps is a bunch of amps, and I have doubts that the existing oven wiring can handle that.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5080 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you have a full 200A panel? If you only have 100A, you're probably in for an upgrade anyway.

Posts: 3299 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
You’ll need to verify the electrical requirements of the particular unit you want to buy but if it is 50 amp than it will require another 220 line.

Depending on your panels manufacturer they make split breakers to allow you to get more circuits into them but you’ll want to verify that it will not overload your panel.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6335 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snidera:
Do you have a full 200A panel? If you only have 100A, you're probably in for an upgrade anyway.

Agreed. I would not want to add another 50 amp circuit to a 100 amp panel but that’s just me.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6335 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I think it's a 200 amp panel.

When I had a mini-split system installed a few years ago they ran a 50 or 100 amp feed and put another panel on that side of the house.
They could always run off that panel.

I'm going to have to check both of them.

It sounding like it's going to require another line, but as was said we need to decide on the units and check their specs.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16539 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Depending on the panel and breakers you have you may be able to put in some piggy backbreakers. This is where two breakers are built into the normal size of one breaker.

As always check all local codes.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16413 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
You’ll definitely need another 220 feed. If there aren’t any free breaker spaces in your panel you can use tandem (aka piggyback) breakers on a couple of circuits to free up a couple of spots for the new line.

This is the kind you’d need if you have a Square D Homeline brand panel. Just use the same amperage rating as the old. This is a 20 amp obviously. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sq...HOMT2020CP/202353308

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3980 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
An electrician will be doing the work, so I expect it will be done correctly.
I'm trying to estimate expense at this time.

I checked, and the subpanel is 100 amp. That panel has free slots, so I guess we'll have to run from there. It's a little farther from the kitchen, but only about ten feet more.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
The local code may prohibit them, but it is more likely the panel itself might not support them. Before any of that, the real issue with a 50 amp rated one would be heat. They aren't unsafe when installed correctly, but they can't cope with the heat like the full size breakers. So they won't last as long. For 15 amps, eh fine. 30 and up and my electricians won't use them.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27022 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Cook tops and wall ovens require 30-50a circuits for each unit, wall ovens are usually 40a. Either way I would run 50a to both circuits. I would not use the sub, unless it has very little existing load.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20848 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
No one here is recommending using tandem breakers for your oven or cooktop feeds. I only use them for 20A circuits or less. Use full-sized breakers only above 20 amps.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3980 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post