SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anybody Else Like Fat Tires on Their Car?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody Else Like Fat Tires on Their Car? Login/Join 
Picture of Accomplice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
I don’t know about you dudes, but I’d like to see more pics of the whole car, yo…..

I don’t have the full set on yet but this is what these wheels looked like on the race car they came off of:

These 355’s are ridiculous (forced perspective in the pic but they’re wide).

Roswell Crash - July, 1947, CIA Formed - Sept, 1947

Posts: 1956 | Registered: September 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
I like tastefully wide (like the OP’s pic) on a car with muscle.
On one that sounds like Mom’s vacuum cleaner, not so much.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3880 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t like them when they go past the fender lip.

Posts: 4010 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
305s for me.

What looks crappy is when the wheel is wider than the tire and the sidewall is stretched out to make up the difference.

Posts: 9423 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Accomplice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
305s for me.

What looks crappy is when the wheel is wider than the tire and the sidewall is stretched out to make up the difference.

Yeah, stretched tires bug the hell out of me. They’ll put a friggin 245 on an 11” wide wheel. Seems downright dangerous.

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
The trend of wides, 12-14”, with spacers on 4x4 diesel trucks is ridiculous and probably not safe. Half the tire is outside of coverage and added to the bros lack of driving ability, makes them hang over the center line or lane divider.
Brodozers don't look good to begin with, but the spacer, wheel, and tire combo essentially sandblasts the side of the truck. The truck ends up looking even worse from being so dull and scratched.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23689 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
That’s a nice contact patch there.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29909 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:

...I used to race SCCA Datsun 510s.

Tell us more!!! B/Sedan? SSS?

My first thought when I saw the thread title was the contrast between the tires on my 1974 Fiat 124 Special TC that I raced in SSS, Michelin 165/13's, I think, and the tires on my Chevy Cruze which are 215/55R17 or slightly bigger. They make make the Fiat tires look like anemic rubber bands.

Today's fatties seem a waste in terms of street usage, but they are fun to look at. And sometimes to laugh at! Smile

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9379 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Those stick out way too far in the rear. Do not like.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2282 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, there’s some basic math involved in managing unsprung weight, turning radius, rubbing at full lock or full suspension articulation, keeping diameters close between F/R (esp on AWD cars) and not too far off from OEM, achieving brake clearance, getting the offsets right for suspension clearance, contact under body roll, appropriate width wheels for the tire size (no tire stretching!),picking rubber conpounds and tread patterns that work for the intended application, etc.

This is the way. Wink

And in your application, they look awesome.

Posts: 10811 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
Other than flinging gravel at windshield, what’s the point?

Makes it stick better in hard cornering.

I'm past driving a car hard now.
I used to race SCCA Datsun 510s.

My dad raced B210s in the 80s & had a very nice 510 coupe just before I was born.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16010 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tire profile is too low. In Michigan that driver would belong to the Wheel of the Month Club. Sixty profile will handle potholes well and ride nice and smoother, Fifty's are tolerable, and less than 50 you'll be shopping for new wheels much too often.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5770 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Accomplice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
Tire profile is too low. In Michigan that driver would belong to the Wheel of the Month Club. Sixty profile will handle potholes well and ride nice and smoother, Fifty's are tolerable, and less than 50 you'll be shopping for new wheels much too often.

Oh, wow. I’ve never gone lower than a 30 profile but almost all of my cars have had 30 or 35 profiles. I even had 30 profiles on a 21” OEM wheel on an X6M.