SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Today's simple pleasure: Home made food
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Today's simple pleasure: Home made food Login/Join 
posted
My lunch today was home made beef stew that my wife prepared this weekend. I believe every single ingredient was fresh, with the exception of seasonings. The flavor was outstanding!

Posts: 9030 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Amazing how excited I can get my in-laws making chicken soup from scratch.

Beef stew is still a mystery, though. The thickening of gravy continues to vex me.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid, my Grandfather was a butcher. My Grandmother used to make Chicken Soup. Everything from the garden, the chicken was running around not that long before it went into the pot.
BEST SOUP EVER!

The only thing that upsets me is that she never wrote the recipes down. She was off the boat from Poland, everything she cooked was always from memory, and "A pinch" or "A little/big handful" of whatever. I've tried to re-create it, I've come close, but never exact.

You're absolutely right, there's just something about good, homemade food.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8548 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
I made homemade Chicken Alfredo and a loaf of homemade bread yesterday. My kids were all over it. So much better than sauce from a jar.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4945 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
The thickening of gravy continues to vex me.

Mix 2T cornstarch into about 1/2C cold water until smooth, then add slowly to the hot liquid.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32052 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rover88
posted Hide Post
quote:
...The only thing that upsets me is that she never wrote the recipes down. She was off the boat from Poland, everything she cooked was always from memory, and "A pinch" or "A little/big handful" of whatever. I've tried to re-create it, I've come close, but never exact.

Reminds me of trying to get a recipe from my grandmother (Italian):
ME: How much, Grandma?
GM: I don't know, some. You'll know.

Posts: 640 | Location: Johnstown, PA | Registered: February 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rover88:
quote:
...The only thing that upsets me is that she never wrote the recipes down. She was off the boat from Poland, everything she cooked was always from memory, and "A pinch" or "A little/big handful" of whatever. I've tried to re-create it, I've come close, but never exact.

Reminds me of trying to get a recipe from my grandmother (Italian):
ME: How much, Grandma?
GM: I don't know, some. You'll know.

Mine used to say, "Until it looks right." Big Grin

And, homemade stew is some pretty good stuff, but it's not exactly stew weather around here.

Posts: 20602 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:

Beef stew is still a mystery, though. The thickening of gravy continues to vex me.

corn starch

Posts: 12950 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
quote:

corn starch

I put milk and flour in a mason jar and shake it up. Then add it until the desired thickness.

Posts: 20602 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thicken beef stew? Don’t y’all use the potatoes that dissolve when stewed?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13112 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Thicken beef stew? Don’t y’all use the potatoes that dissolve when stewed?

This is what makes a great beef stew. No corn starch, no flour.

Posts: 653 | Registered: March 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had the privilege to stay with some "momma's" all over the world and universally they will never tell you the recipe, because they really don't know.

What you have to do is really get in there and learn. A pinch of salt is a different unit than a pinch of oregano...hahaha!

Posts: 653 | Registered: March 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
quote:

You’ve learned well Grasshopper

Posts: 11155 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post