SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Church is pushing me out the door
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Church is pushing me out the door Login/Join 
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
Yes; they WORSHIP him.

This is a common misconception.

Catholics do not worship the Pope, nor do we worship Mary (as some believe we do).

I'm sure that there are some within the faith who do, but they would be wrong to do so.

I'm not trying to imply that Catholicism deifies the pope; just that many of his followers do.

My point was that MANY people in MANY countries go absolutely nuts when they see him. In my opinion, this equates to full-out 'worship' of the man, and even the office he holds. People are amazing critters - we can screw up just about anything when we get involved, and religion is no different. . . Wink

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21921 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
the church pushed me out the door when I was about 16

after asking questions and not getting answers, being asked to suspend common sense and accept unverified tales as 'truth' I decided to punt religion over the fence and call it a day

the current Pope does nothing to make me ever want to come back - I don't even like going to funerals in churches any longer

the last one I went to was my grandmothers - the minister droned on for an hour and never once mentioned my grandmothers name

for me that was the final straw

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53786 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Maybe because of my age but I find it interesting that no one has mentioned Vatican II of the early '60s.

From my knothole that's when the slide started in ernest. Followed by the pedophilia scandals and leftist preaching. And of course now the social justice crap to include wholesale resettling of non-vetted muslims.

There is a reason why many feel, like Mel Gibson to Sedevacantists, that the Church left them.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16517 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Church's have no business getting involved in political things.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rocket72
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
A lot of you guys should check out Missouri Synod Lutheran. You might like it.

https://www.lcms.org/

The ELCA is the 'social justice' Lutheran branch - we disavow them. Wink

----------------------------

Pffft! The Wisconsin Synod thinks you're liberal. Big Grin

Posts: 1537 | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Church's have no business getting involved in political things.

Churches (organized religions)have always been political entities. The notion of separation of Church and State is a relatively modern concept.

Posts: 9023 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
"At the core of every principle taught by Christ is individual agency and personal responsibility. "

as a non Catholic, this is one of the Main Tenets that makes sense to me;

Years ago I read a book titled "The Bad Popes", which was a marvelous history of some of the worst leaders of any faith I've ever read. It had a smattering of just how so much of the accumulated wealth of the Continent came to be condensed into the early Church of Rome.

Posts: 9874 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
I was raised Catholic. At age 10 I essentially told off the local priest as he was still pushing anti-Galileo theories. This was a couple of years after the moon landings. I got responses similar to those related by nhtagmember.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Church is pushing me out the door

I'm not Catholic, or even Christian, but...

For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and produce great signs and omens, to lead astray, if possible, even the elect.
— Matthew 24:24

It seems to me in my limited understanding that the new pope has turned the Church 180 degrees and onto it's ear.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please don't leave. It's not about the people who run the Church, it's about who started the Church.

If you would like to talk personally, email me and we can talk. I would like to discuss here, but people often jump all over each other's ideologies and it's not usually productive.

I will be praying for you and all of the people struggling through tough times in the Church. Just remember that Jesus told us that Satan would try to destroy His Church, but would not prevail.

Posts: 552 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Left about 4 yeasts ago. New commie priest came in. Said people should not say things like "Live free or die". Ripped up or donation check on the spot.

Shook hands with parishioners at the time of peace and said "live free or die" and never returned.

The Catholic Church is infected and run by communists. I do worry about those that stayed behind.

Posts: 57 | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeff_nh:
... The Catholic Church is infected and run by communists. I do worry about those that stayed behind.
Hasn't this always been the case though? Is my assumption wrong that the catholic church, and by extension the protestant church, is affiliated with the worker party?

Posts: 45538 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
The Church is doing a great job pushing me out!

You shouldn't be Catholic because of your priest, your bishop, or the Pope.

I'm Catholic because of my faith and in spite of some of the people running the Church. The Church has survived idiots before, and will survive the current crop.

Posts: 6568 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
A lot of you guys should check out Missouri Synod Lutheran. You might like it.

https://www.lcms.org/

The ELCA is the 'social justice' Lutheran branch - we disavow them. Wink

----------------------------

Agreed! We left the Roman Church several years ago....I was raised Catholic, schools, altar boy, the whole nine yards. Got to the point where I just couldn't stomach the hypocrisy any longer. Walked away from it, and never looked back. After searching for a few years we found a real home in our local LCMS congregation. It feels like the Catholic church felt when I was growing up. Any disinfranchished Catholics ought to give the Missouri Synod a hard look. Eastern Rite Greek Orthodox is a good choice as well, though no real congregations here where I am.

Posts: 1767 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
Organized religion has had strong political ties since the beginning of organized religion, both Christian and non-christian. Also we should not confuse The Church with religion. The Church is the bride of Christ. Organized religion is man made and subject to all of man's short comings and failings.
That's my story and I'm sticking with it.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1727 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
To all those who left:
Where did you go?
Another religion, or simply not practicing any religion?

I left organized religion completely. After every Sunday as a child, to a decade trying to fit in as an adult, I have zero use for it.

Church tries to do a lot of good, but it's a business, pure and simple.

I don't need the guilt or shame pushed on me by anyone, or read some book to tell me what is plain as day by opening my eyes.

95% agnostics, 5% aetheist.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post