SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Please explain why ROLEX?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please explain why ROLEX? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Rolex is a major name brand in the Watch World.

People all over recognize Brands like Rolex, Pepsi, Rolls Royce, Levi...

Rolex makes pretty damn good watches, then again, so does their "Lil Brother" Tudor. Rolex, IIRC, gained popularity because Jacques Cousteau and a Formula One racer back in the late 1960's / early 1970's and have increased in popularity (and price) since.

It's also one of those things that is an "investment"- and pretty much will always hold or increase it's value.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8548 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
A) They built much of their reputation when they cost ~20-25% over the higher end Seikos. (And I just realized that it’s still a somewhat similar spread between the base Rolexes, and the LX/top end prospex Seikos.)

I have a Submariner from that era. Sent it back to Rolex as a zip lock bag of parts, several times, and they always fixed it for a surprisingly reasonable price/survived places other watches didn’t. (Sinn is similar, in the current era.)

My most recent service was absurdly long, absurdly expensive - and it was pointed out that my watch is now lover 50 years old, and they “restored it” to a much higher level than it was, brand new. (Without asking)

The were very accurate, in an era that quartz was not available/reliable/accurate.

B) Their “Brand Ambassadors” did things. Red Adair, etc.
Not play a fictional characters, etc.

C) They have a history of connection to the US Military, which has pretty much lead to their place in Southern, Texan, and Western US culture.

They are, pretty much, part of the professional uniform of many trades/manufacturing. (And it’s a weird vibe. “Blue collar” who now makes millions per year, wears a two tone datejust. If he’s a southern developer, he will wear a Daytona. “Day Dates” aren’t worn, except by the trust fund crowd. (As I recall, Red Adair endorsed a Day Date - and I could see why someone who worked in a 24/7 industry would endorse a watch which shows the day)

The Milgauss/maybe the fun Oyster Perpetuals are for creatives/researchers/some cooks. I cooked for years in a Submariner, which was handy, but unless your work involves the water, I can’t see a maritime watch being professional)

Working lawyer, at work, again, probably a two tone date just. Senior partner is Patek, ALs, other dress watch. (The same guys who wore “limo rider” soled dress shoes, back in the long long ago.)

Posts: 5929 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Low Country, SC. | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wear a Rolex Submariner about 70% of the time, change out on occasion with a couple of Marathons and until recently a Sinn. the Rolex is a tool watch to me not a status symbol, like most examples of tools you can get cheap and you can get expensive.
as expected for the price the fit and finish and performance is highest with the Sub. it's been serviced once at the 10 year mark. I fully expect the watch to outlive me by decades, understatement I'm sure. Then it'll go to my grandson and with a service every 10 years he can wear it every day for his lifetime if he chooses.

the watch is worth more now than when I bought it. just not many every day tool items you can say that about.

Rolex is one of many brands that all of the above is true about. It's just the most famous due to marketing/movies etc.

Posts: 220 | Location: NC | Registered: February 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
Rolex makes a few iconic models that everyone recognizes (Pepsi/Coke GMT, Sub, Paul Newman Daytona, etc.). When you see an old air-cooled 911, you don't mistake it for anything else, even though there are some other makes and models that try to look like it. If you like some of those Rolex originals, you can either buy the real thing or get another brand that makes a similar one, and then still always want the real thing.

I like my IWCs more than my Rolexes. They cost less, and look and run better. But there are a few Rolex models I have always wanted and don't want some other brand's version of those watches. So I worked and saved up to be able to get the real thing.

Piggy backing on the Porsche comparison.
Rolex, like Porsche is a very well designed product but as been pointed out it is not necessarily the pinnacle of the Watch world, just like Porsche (don’t flame me I own several Porsches!).

They are at a price point that is above the sea of average (albeit nice performing) watches, just like Porsche. You can buy a new Porsche for something in the mid $60K range up to maybe $1.5million with most being in the $80-200K range but it is not in the same category as a Ferrari or Bugatti.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6482 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought my Rolex GMT Master in March of 1983. In addition to the watch's reputation for quality and prestige (yes, I place a value on that as well), they were popular in the military as an earlier poster pointed out. A man I highly respected, WWII combat pilot who flew everything in the inventory from P-51's to B-29's, still flying in the 1960's and 1970's, proudly wore one and introduced me to the brand.

One service in the mid-1990's kept it going until about three years ago when it began to lose time. The way I look at it, the $700 I paid for it amortized nicely over 40 years, and another service, which at the moment I can't afford, would carry it to my grave.

It's resting in a hidden place until I can afford service.

I guess it's an emotional thing, but it's lasted longer than anything else I've ever owned except for a pre-war Walther PPK, and more useful.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9379 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
i’m just not watch savvy.

0-0

I am with you 0-0, I just do not understand watches, at all. I do not own a watch, I do not desire a watch.

Posts: 2361 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ranger41
posted Hide Post
I think trying to explain why some like Rolex watches is like trying to explain why some like Harley-Davidson motorcycles.

"The world is too dangerous to live in-not because of the people who do evil, but because of the people who sit and let it happen." (Albert Einstein)

Posts: 975 | Location: Rural Virginia - USA | Registered: May 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
A little follow up to something I posted earlier, someone once told me something like " when someone wants a good Swiss Watch but don't know watches they pick Rolex because everyone knows Rolex"

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2639 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
I have no excuse for having worn a Rolex Sub daily for the last 36 years or so. A guy in our group of shooters wore one. I liked it. Gave my Tudor to an old friend, and bought a new Sub. Apparently watches A,B,C,D,E, and XYZ are better. Don't care, still enjoy wearing my old RolexWink

NRA Life

Posts: 1581 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig2392:
I used to have an active lifestyle.

Rolex makes a great watch, but so does Omega. I have two Omegas that I have owned for nearly 8 years- one Planet Ocean and one Seamaster 300M. Both have been diving with me down to about 80 feet. They have also been on my wrist while kayaking in rough surf, as well as swimming and diving in rough surf. Solid as granite and no leaks.

Posts: 8911 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Because Patek Philippe cost money to even dream about.

I think this is really the answer.

There are people who strictly fly first class but that's only because it cost money to charter a private jet, much less buy your own.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20079 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
My best friend has a Rolex. I was talking to him on the phone while he was getting dressed to go out. He asked me what time it was so he could set his watch. I gave him the time from my $25.00 Timex. I loved it. Big Grin

Posts: 13051 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
They also appreciate over time. I bought a new Sub in the late 90s for 2600 and now I could sell it for close to 10K. Most luxury items do not appreciate like that. Kind of like my HK P7M8 Smile

You might also ask why one would spend 4K on an Ed Brown 1911 when a perfectly good 1911 can be had for less than a thousand? Because it is beautiful and you can afford it, I guess.

Posts: 3260 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
To me, they are the Steinway piano of the watch world. High quality and ubiquitous but there are better options of which some cost more and some cost less.

Posts: 12583 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Beautiful Mind
Picture of DetonicsMk6
posted Hide Post
I had a ‘Pepsi’ GMT for about 15 years and fell in love with the looks of the Omega Seamaster ‘Great White.’ Sold the Rolex for enough to pay for the Omega; a nice 1911 and a couple cases of ammo.

Posts: 4842 | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To me , it's an investment and nothing more. I don't know the accuracy specs on a Rolex watch but for my personal situation , I can get what I need for many thousands less . But If you want one , go for it .

Posts: 4272 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
For some it's a status symbol. To others it's recognition of a dream or accomplishment. It can be a way of easy recognition that one has achieved a certain status or level in their life.

To the wearer, there is a certain heft, a feeling of substance when you place it on your wrist. And it you appreciate machinery or well made things, they are a touchable embodiment of them.

Rolex's are durable. I wouldn't subject an AP to the things I would a Rolex.

But it really distills down to what appeals to the individual. Just like art or music or clothes. For me, as a watch lover, I want something that is simple and practical, yet can be elegant. My GShock is accurate, durable and functional. I can flog the hell out of it. But it is not what anyone would refer to as "nice" or "elegant"

I like watches that simple and understated. I don't like lots of complications on the dial. My current favorite is my U1. I'm thinking my next watch will be a GO Senator with date. I'm thinking it will perfectly fill the niche of dress watch. It's a brand that is recognizable to other watch folks, one that will get a nod of appreciation while being just another watch to the masses.

I wanted a two tone Sub for a long time. I think I've changed direction to a Polar Explorer. I'm a sucker for white dials and it's no where's as blingy as the Sub. I need to get one on y wrist though before I'll be sure that's what I want in a grail tool watch.

Posts: 11292 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
A Rolex was a bucket list item for years. After many decades I was able to finally spend the money to own one. So I bought two. I wear the Sub 99% of the time. Batman goes out for special occasions. But if you have to ask why, you probably won't understand.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10994 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
I've never needed any kind of a dress watch, but I do have a Rolex DSSD.

And a Navitimer.

And a Breitling for Bentley that's a bit fancy, and I don't 'love' it much for that reason.

And a Flightmaster.

And a couple of IWC.

And Ebel, Marathon and others of that ilk.

Posts: 11444 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:

To me, they are the Steinway piano of the watch world.
I heard a story about a sales rep who wanted to sell some hardware items to Steinway. He made an appointment with a Steinway purchasing agent, and left some samples for evaluation.

Couple months later he made a follow-up visit. Steinway guy said that they had not finished evaluating the samples.

Salesman asked when the test results would be ready.

Steinway guy said, "Come back in seventy-five years. That is our base for life-testing our components."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31451 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post