SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Rural area, in AZ. Things that look like cameras hanging from power lines that aren’t cameras.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rural area, in AZ. Things that look like cameras hanging from power lines that aren’t cameras. Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted
So I live in the Verde Valley. Cottonwood/Sedona area. APS is the power monopoly here.

There are places all over that have what looks like a dome camera attached to the powerline. At first I thought that was what it was. Now we have three in the same spot, on three lines that cross Mingus ave at Main. No one would put three cameras within a foot of each other in an intersection that has no real accidents. And the placement would be crap for viewing much.

I have failed at getting a picture, but I’m hoping someone knows what these are. Some kind of current monitor? I think the cables are 440/3 phase, if that helps. But that’s just a wild ass guess.

Does anyone know what I’m talking about?

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4029 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those are most likely fault indicators. In the event if a power outage due to a fault/short circuit, these help the line crews locate where the issue is on the line.

Posts: 589 | Location: Alexandria, LA | Registered: April 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many years ago in Phoenix,
Someone asked a similar question.

An installer replied that his company
put devices above high traffic areas to monitor what radio stations were
being listened to by commuters .

The data was sold to radio stations to help
them with programming , commercial and promotions.
But
He did not coment in how the system actually worked.

Your Gizmo's might be something else,but have you tried calling the electrical company?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54682 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
So I don’t think they’re radio station monitors. They have three within a few feet of each other. There are in a lot of places. I’ll try to get a picture this morning.
I haven’t called APS as the hour on hold isn’t worth it.
Barleys explanation makes sense, especially since there is one on each line.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4029 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Woodman, that’s exactly what they are. Thank you. This also saves me from having to try to snap a pic this morning.
Thanks!

quote:
The “lol” thread

Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
Yes as above, those are most likely fault current indicators. They let the line crews or troubleshooters know where the fault is or the direction, and aids in restoration, keeping the outages shorter.

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post