SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cast Iron - Before and After Thanks Sig Forum !!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cast Iron - Before and After Thanks Sig Forum !! Login/Join 
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted
I grew up with my mom cooking with cast iron cook ware but when non stick came along I down in and just recently surfaced. All we can say is WOW, double WOW !! What a treat to be back cooking on cast iron. A true pleasure to have even heating and nothing sticks if you treat it right, hot skillet, cold oil ( butter in our case ) and nothing sticks.
Even fried eggs that always stick slide right out! I'm not sure about the new cast iron, but the older skillets found at garage or flea markets are perfect choices.

Look what we started with below, we followed the instructions linky perfectly and as you can see in the middle image it worked perfectly.

Start:

After:

Posts: 3865 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
That is some nice work! Great job.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Looks great! I have been looking for a nice Griswold for awhile now.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3645 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Needs more bacon! Otherwise, they look great.Big Grin

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44498 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ Big Grin

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39287 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Time to make some southern style cornbread in one of those pans.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1903 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:
Time to make some southern style cornbread in one of those pans.

You read my mind! That is exactly what I was thinking as well. Already did my biscuits and sausage gravy on Sunday, killer !

Posts: 3865 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you had a southern style cornbread recipe you can share....I am all ears! It’s the request that got this whole thing started. Smile

Posts: 266 | Registered: June 03, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Those vintage Wagners are awesome pans. I use them as well as Griswolds. That old cast iron is smoother than the newer Lodge stuff. Nice work on the restoration.

Posts: 3260 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is the real test: chicken enchilada dip!
Wowza!
https://i.imgur.com/6XFYRmr.jpg?1%5B/img%5D

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I've been cooking in my grandmama's 1950's Wagner 1058 a lot lately. The outside is in really rough shape and you can barely make out Wagner Sidney O but the cooking surface is good to go and much smoother than a modern Lodge. That "nasty" skillet in your video is about what mine looks like on the edges. She passed last year so I'm honored to have it and I'm probably going to leave it exactly like it was, though the video makes it tempting.

The Lodges are ok (I have a griddle, a 6, an 8, and a 10, and a cornbread mold.)

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10594 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
Timely post, as I recently picked up as "as-found" Griswold #6.

Nice shape, but will need to reseason it before use.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Turning_gal:
Here is the real test: chicken enchilada dip!
Wowza!
https://i.imgur.com/6XFYRmr.jpg?1%5B/img%5D

Nice pic, but can you please post the recipe?

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10543 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Those vintage Wagners are awesome pans

I use my 61-98 (Actual age is unknown) year old Wagner on a daily basis.

Here’s a quick and dirty table to aging a Wagner pan.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15833 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice pic, but can you please post the recipe?[/QUOTE]

Here it is:
Chicken Enchilada Dip

1 block cream cheese, softened
1 cup shredded cooked rotisserie chicken
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup mexican cheese blend or Monterey jack cheese
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup enchilada sauce
1 can rotel or diced green chili and tomatoes
2 tsp taco seasoning
1 tsp cumin
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro plus more for garnish
Sliced green onions, for garnish

Directions:
Heat the oven to 350 degrees. In a mixing bowl combine all ingredients, taste and add salt and pepper if needed. Bake in a medium cast iron skillet for 20-25 min until bubbly. Serve with tortilla chips, carrot and celery sticks.
Enjoy!

My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
that's a beautiful thing

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6064 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
In the before pics, why were they in such rough shape?

Posts: 28692 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post