SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Staining Oak
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Staining Oak Login/Join 
posted
I just installed new oak doors in my home and now it's time for staining and varnishing. Do any of the forums resident wood experts have any tips or clues as to how to do it successfully ?

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Headhunter
Picture of SPSHOOTER
posted Hide Post
Interior or exterior door?

Posts: 1513 | Location: San Diego | Registered: March 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Take your time. The dark open grain of oak will suck up stain, and sometimes it spits it back out at a later time. Stain and wait to see if this happens for a couple of days before sealing. I've had this happen after sealing and that project was left with little dark dots forever.

Posts: 7526 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
before applying any stain take a damp cloth to the door to raise the grain, and then sand with 120 grit. Repeat a couple times using finer and finer grit.

Then apply stain with a rag getting the coverage as even as you can. Do not be in a hurry.

Let dry, sand with real fine grit paper, apply, repeat, and for a final coat you won't sand after it dries.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Have you considered Rubio Monocoat? It penetrates the wood and protects. I have used it on dining tables to good effect

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Averaging 6.3
posts per year
posted Hide Post
I would consider a grain-filler and or wood sealer before staining.

Rick

Texting.......easier than calling.

Posts: 1367 | Location: P.C., FL - the emerald coast | Registered: September 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Test it out on a similar piece of wood first.

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Test beforehand and you may want to consider a stain preconditioner. With red oak I have encountered splotchy results. I’ve used a lot of Minwax products, they also sell a preconditioner and the are diy recipes on the Internet, usually diluted shellac formulations.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1527 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rubio Monocoat

good points in here. Remember White oak vs Red oak, one is open grained, the other closed. Makes a difference in how to decide to stain and seal. I'd say study up on it before you go to town. I've worked with both in the past making furniture in college. Oak is a lot of fun to work with but those two varieties are different in terms of finishing. Some guys like to fully, or partially, fill the pores of red oak before staining and sealing. Others like to half-fill them, go keep some texture afterward, some don't fill at all, hut then your top will be very open grained depending on the angle of cut and size and length of the tubular wood cells, and their degree of parallel lay to the surface. Some people have very old growth white oak that is quarter sawn showing gorgeous waves of non-porous curves that take the stain at different rates, called "tiger eye" oak iirc. Used to be very popular in furniture. If you're up to it, you may want to study how to seal oak with an oil instead of a fill and coat, but oiling oak is more involved and not always a good idea for that type of wood.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8683 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BGULL:
Test beforehand and you may want to consider a stain preconditioner. With red oak I have encountered splotchy results. I’ve used a lot of Minwax products, they also sell a preconditioner and the are diy recipes on the Internet, usually diluted shellac formulations.

I've never used a stain preconditioner. I've used a sanding sealer, but that product really messes with the color I try to achieve. I usually use 25 % red mahogany mixed with 75% golden oak to bring out the red. With the sanding sealer it yellows out the final color. Could you recommend a preconditioner, and does it effect the color?

Posts: 7526 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
quote:

I've never used a stain preconditioner. I've used a sanding sealer, but that product really messes with the color I try to achieve. I usually use 25 % red mahogany mixed with 75% golden oak to bring out the red. With the sanding sealer it yellows out the final color. Could you recommend a preconditioner, and does it effect the color?

I’ve used the Minwax stain conditioner, in conjunction with their stain - finish combination products. With red oak I did not have any problems with the color or tint yellowing. The intent is to prevent the wood absorbing too much stain in those areas that are susceptible to splotching.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1527 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
quote:

I’ve used the Minwax stain conditioner, in conjunction with their stain - finish combination products. With red oak I did not have any problems with the color or tint yellowing. The intent is to prevent the wood absorbing too much stain in those areas that are susceptible to splotching.

You could use different things for a preconditioner, aka sealer, as long as it's diluted so as not to completely seal the grain (defeating the purpose), and is chemically compatible with whatever's going on top. But if you're looking at a Minwax product, go for it, Minwax is good stuff for anything they sell.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8683 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Thanks gentlemen I'll give it go next time.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIC.45:
I would consider a grain-filler and or wood sealer before staining.

Rick
^^^This. Apply a sanding sealer first (might even take two coats depending on how much the wood sucks up). Let dry and finely sand as the sealer will raise the grain slightly. After that, apply whatever stain you're using as evenly as possible. I loathe large open grain species like oak when is comes to finishing with a stain, but with the right approach, the results can look pretty good.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the advice. I will start the job tomorrow.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post