SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does anyone here have experience with inverter central air conditioning units?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone here have experience with inverter central air conditioning units? Login/Join 
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted
Specifically Daikin Fit systems. Or any type actually. Looking to replace our air conditioning system. Current unit is 11 years old and out of warranty. Just put a $600.00 blower motor in it. The coil doesn’t look that great either. Looking to replace the unit on our timeline not on the units. The last thing we need is to have the AC crap out in the middle of July/August here in steamy NW FL and then not be able to get one for several months due to supply chain issues.
These inverter units are expensive. The one we are looking at has a 12 year parts warranty. With 17 SEER the ROI is supposed to be 10 years. In 12 years I’ll be 79 if I make it that long so probably the last AC I’ll buy, for this house anyway…

Posts: 1299 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few reasons to go with an inverter;
1) efficiency
2) ramps up/down to match load conditions
3) very quiet

17 SEER isn't really that high for an inverter system.

When the payback is out to 10 yrs, I don't consider that to be a good option.

Reasons not to do it;
1) parts availability (would suck to be waiting for parts, especially given your local climate conditions)
2) finding a qualified service tech to do said repairs (hard enough with run of the mill equipment)
3) Daikin Wink

If you really want to go with an inverter system, I'd recommend you look into Bosch.
https://www.bosch-thermotechno...ily-ids--18527266-p/

Posts: 10061 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
Excam_Man Thanks. From what I read so far they are very technical and seem to have a lot of circuit boards and electronics in them to control the variable speed compressor. Lots of electronics is not a plus ASFAIC due to the frequent lightning around here. Not sure how long these have been around but I'm not big on getting in on the beginning of any new machinery.
also, the 12 year warranty will replace the compressor 1 time. WHAT? If the warranty is 12 years the damn thing should be replace every time it fails!
I think Ill be getting some prices on traditional systems with higher SEER ratings. The startup noise doesn't really bother me as I've lived with it all my life, my neighbors are not that close and I am also in tune with the noise my AC makes and that has headed off several issues. (probably comes from being a yacht captain and always being in tune to the noise my engines make)

Posts: 1299 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post