SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommendations for cleaning up a gravel spot off my driveway
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations for cleaning up a gravel spot off my driveway Login/Join 
Picture of cooger
posted
I'd like to tidy this up some. This gravel area is at the end of my driveway and was used by the previous owner as a place to park an RV. I'd like to use it for parking my utility trailer/mowing equipment. Any thoughts on how to define the area better and keep the gravel from spreading out?

I'm looking at this: Landscape edging

A friend of mine who does dirt work/excavation said I should bring in dirt and raise the ground around the gravel. This approach seems like a lot of work and the property line is close so I don't know if there's enough room to do that.

Posts: 1516 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
No permission to see the photos.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15233 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
No permission to see the photos.

Figured it out

Posts: 1516 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
There should be an option to "make public" or something. Links give the same error.

Posts: 15233 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Unishot
posted Hide Post
You need some edging. It will hold in the gravel, and keep the grass out of the gravel. Maybe making a stone border.

Insert your favorite gun-related witticism here!

Posts: 653 | Location: TX | Registered: March 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I think I'd use railroad ties or pressure treated 4x4's or 6x6's staked into the ground.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38681 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Edging (the one you highlighted is fine) and more gravel is all you need.

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
I had a similar problem. I used 4x4 treated post, and placed rebar up against the 4x4 ever couple feet to keep them from moving. It provides for a nice clean cut area that contains the gravel, and is easy to navigate around when moving.

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14010 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
railroad ties?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Yes, edging.

I've used treated "landscaping timbers" and railroad ties and while they're functional, they're not very attractive IMHO and over time they WILL rot.

I've replaced everything with landscaping blocks from Home Depot:

Cut the sod out, lay some weed barrier and a couple of inches of stone dust to bed the blocks in. When grass/weeds eventually DO come through, and they will, a little spritz of Roundup on the crushed stone will fix that and still look attractive as you'll have the stone dust and not just a bunch of dead vegetation.

Also, leaving a couple of inches of stone dust bedding around the outside means you can do a neat job of weed-whacking without wearing out your string against the landscaping blocks.

To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Do not use railroad ties.

The house I live in now had lots of railroad ties around it that had been there for years when I bought it. Hated them, they were a farm for slugs and every insect known to man. One summer I started hauling them out. The recycle place for wood and yard products did not want them because they were treated. I ended up having to take them to the dump. That was very costly. Over $2000 worth!

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2x4s on the edge staked with rebar to hold in place. My climate is Mediterranean with no freezing and a similar setup has lasted decades.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
quote:
Landscape edging
https://www.homedepot.com/p/COL-MET-8-ft-Brown-Steel-Landscape-Edging-814B/100137006

cheaper and faster to install and you can weedeat against it.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Most folks in my neighborhood who have gravel driveways (some quite long), use either concrete "landscape" stones, or just bricks, buried just a little leaving most of the stone exposed to retain the gravel. A few even put in concrete borders, like a curb.

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post