SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Grocery pick up in store review
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grocery pick up in store review Login/Join 
posted
Our local grocery has an option to order groceries online and pick up in store after a couple hours. My wife doesn’t drive so for us to go grocery shopping involves loading up 2 toddlers and an infant and dragging them through the store.
My wife and I didn’t want to deal with that and the loads of people this morning. So we ordered what we wanted last night and set a pickup time for this morning.
We got a phone call this morning asking if it was ok for 2 items to be alternate brands which was fine. (Bread and yoghurt). I went and everything was bagged nicely. I inspected the meat and produce and it was all fresh and looked great.
Total experience including ordering took less than 30 minutes. Walked in was greeted by a nice lady inspected my food and walked out.
I think this will be my new method of grocery shopping. I highly recommend it.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our local Walmart offers this, but we've been hesitant to use it because of the issues you mentioned -- meat and produce.

What store did you use?

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9165 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
My wife does this as well. It’s great. $5 per time but beyond worth it with two toddlers in tow. It’s a great service and they make it really easy.

It’s called ClickList and it’s via Fred Meyer stores.

Posts: 5075 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
Our local Walmart offers this, but we've been hesitant to use it because of the issues you mentioned -- meat and produce.

What store did you use?

Our store is called shop rite. It’s a CT chain as far as I know.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Our Kroger has it. Don’t even go in. They have special parking spots. My wife has used a few times. Not even allowed to tip.

Posts: 17901 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our supermarket (HyVee) has it, we always see their people with shopping lists filling carts. It's not for us as we're both retired and going to the store is a social event.

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Just don't have it anymore to go in and shop sadly, so I've been using the Walmart online order and pick up now for several months. IMO, for those with disabilities or just don't have the available time to shop, the online ordering works great. I just do all my online shopping, pick a date and time to drive there and pick them up. They have about seven or eight spots on the back side of the building with a canvas overhang, you call the in-store phone and they roll them out and load them up for you. Out of the way of all traffic and doesn't interfere with normal foot traffic being out on the back side. It's free but I always tip the grocery guy. Works like a charm without any hitches. If you have items that you definitely have to have the brand there is a check mark for no substitutions. The only items they have substituted prior is a few of the sub sandwiches from the deli for one similar. I purchased an aluminum cart for when I get home to get the stuff out of the car and into the house. My only hope is that one of the other local chains like Publix starts doing this. I read that they have a pilot program in place now in Tampa stores.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Uppster
posted Hide Post
We were told HyVee will also deliver it for free.

God,Guns,Cars,& 1Wife, I would say I have it all.

Posts: 1448 | Location: Independence MO | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
One of my daughters shops at Walmart and uses this service for the same reasons and she swears by it.

Posts: 1956 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Way worth the $5 unless you are wanting to browse for very specific items. Our HEB's do it down here.

Posts: 3598 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid, ~50 years ago, in my small town, my mom would call the local grocery store, and a teenager would be by in about 30 minutes with a couple bags of groceries. Delivered. No need to even drive to the store.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Walked in was greeted by a nice lady inspected my food and walked out.
HEB has this but don't have to enter the store. You use the web or their app to order, you select a half-hour time window, you park in designated parking area w/ numbered spots, and you text your parking spot #. 2 or 3 minutes later, a friendly person comes out with your groceries and loads them in your vehicle.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23304 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
My wife tried it, we probably probably won’t do it again. I don’t mind shopping at 6am with no one else around.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried it, but it's not for me. I am also frustrated by the hordes of click list employees pushing carts slowly thru the store, blocking me as I shop. Plus, it's 12 bucks locally. No, I'll just walk thru the store, cursing rude people who block the aisle and the 900 year old woman ahead of me at the cash register trying to fill out a check cause she does't trust debit cards.

Posts: 17147 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Walked in was greeted by a nice lady inspected my food and walked out.
HEB has this but don't have to enter the store. You use the web or their app to order, you select a half-hour time window, you park in designated parking area w/ numbered spots, and you text your parking spot #. 2 or 3 minutes later, a friendly person comes out with your groceries and loads them in your vehicle.

We’ve only used it a few times but seems the couple H-E-Bs we go to locally have seen a ten fold increase in the amount of pick-up business. Enough so that one store completely remodeled the pick up area in the parking lot and holding facility within the store.

We have a new store being built about 4 miles away (can’t wait as the other two are 23 and 28 miles respectively) and you can see where the pick-up area is being built in from the get go.

Like everything else H-E-B does it’s a very efficient and works well.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
A little off the thread track, but Sam's Club has an app that you can scan your items with your phone as place them in your cart and pay for them without going through the checkout line. The app also lets you order for pickup as well.

Posts: 10995 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post