SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Griddle vs Grill
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Griddle vs Grill Login/Join 
Picture of Pyker
posted
I'm in the market for a new grill. Seems like griddles are pretty popular and competitive on price. Anyone use one?

Ps. Spare me the Kamado Joe and BGE recommendations, there's no way I'm paying 1k or more on a grill/smoker/griddle.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
I added this to my gas grill and feel I have the best of both. And it fits in the dishwasher.

Griddle

Posts: 1634 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
I wish I'd gotten a griddle/stovetop instead of a grill/stovetop. Griddles are WAY more useful for me.

If you are getting a SMOKER, then use it to smoke stuff. IMO.

A "BBQ grill" with burners and an add-on griddle might be the best of both worlds, though.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3223 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Mrs. Flash and I looked at them at ACE hardware and realized it just wouldn't work for us.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After drill I stopped into the Krogers here in Greenwood, IN for a few items.

As I entered the store they had a nice display of grills and griddles.

It is funny that this discussion was posted because I have been debating about them for since yesterday.

We are in the market for a new grill but I am wondering if a griddle would not be a better fit for me.

I was also looking at getting a counter top griddle to take with me when I travel.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
I haven't used my grill a single time in the two years since I got a griddle. It is so much more versatile, it's perfect. I love being able to cook a whole pack of bacon at once, then follow it up with eggs and pancakes. I can do regular burgers or "smash" style. Steaks come out great, I can do stir fries, etc. Honestly I can't see going back to a normal grill.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SHOOTIN BLANKS:
I added this to my gas grill and feel I have the best of both. And it fits in the dishwasher.

Griddle

Just ordered.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20839 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I just bought a new grill yesterday that has a 4 burner grill & a griddle on the side. Still learning the griddle side, tonight was the first time using it.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15369 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter01:
Just ordered a cast iron griddle 19x19 that covers 1/2 of my new Recteq pellet smoker. I haven't used it yet but I think separate add on griddle is the way to go. With a gas grill it Gives you the option of direct sear or griddle cooking or both.

Unless you are spring for a new grill in which case the combo unit in the post above is really nice.

quote:
Originally posted by SHOOTIN BLANKS:

Griddle

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
Mrs. Flash and I looked at them at ACE hardware and realized it just wouldn't work for us.

I'd be interested in knowing why that was.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Two different animals with different uses for me. I love my griddle for veggies, bacon, onions, breakfasts, and occasional smash burgers. I hate stinking up the house when frying some bacon or onions and much prefer doing it outside. I use the grills for most proteins.

Posts: 3468 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter01:
Just ordered a cast iron griddle 19x19 that covers 1/2 of my new Recteq pellet smoker. I haven't used it yet but I think separate add on griddle is the way to go. With a gas grill it Gives you the option of direct sear or griddle cooking or both.

I have a Lodge Cast Iron griddle/grill plate that I use on my gas grill.

Griddle side is great for all things, the grill side is awesome for veggies/fish (or anything delicate).

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lo...iddle-LDP3/301056282

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3356 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
I used our electric griddle to cook pancakes for my bride (of 52 years) this morning. That's all we use it for now; bacon in the oven and most other meats on the grill.

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1976 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can buy an electric, plug in the wall griddle for $30 at Target. A griddle ISN'T GRILLING, it's like cooking in a bigger frying pan.

A grill OTOH adds flavor to the food and transforms it into something else. Plus the food doesn't cook in it's own grease.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
You can buy an electric, plug in the wall griddle for $30 at Target. A griddle ISN'T GRILLING, it's like cooking in a bigger frying pan.

A grill OTOH adds flavor to the food and transforms it into something else. Plus the food doesn't cook in it's own grease.

Thanks for that. I already have one.I'm not talking about an electric griddle. I know the difference between a grill and a griddle.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

Thanks for that. I already have one.I'm not talking about an electric griddle. I know the difference between a grill and a griddle.

The outdoor griddle is the same thing, just bigger.........It's a far cry from a grill. Just like a Mcdonalds cheeseburger is a far cry from a good cheeseburger.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I agree with a lot of what's been said here. They are not the same thing; a grill will add that nice smoky flavor, especially if you are using charcoal like a decent human being.

A griddle, on the other hand, can do lots of things a grill cannot. I use mine for smashburgers, stir fried rice, pancakes/bacon/sausage, and a whole bunch of other stuff.

If you can swing both, I'd do that. Even if you get a separate grill and a cast iron griddle for the stovetop, I'd call that a win.

My griddle is built-in (under the cutting board) and I have a large Big Green Egg for grilling.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17298 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
So, is anyone actually using a LP griddle outside to cook in preference to a 'normal' LP or charcoal grill?

(Thanks, Mark, Kozz, and Straightshooter)

Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
So, is anyone actually using a LP griddle outside to cook in preference to a 'normal' LP or charcoal grill?

(Thanks, Mark, Kozz, and Straightshooter)

I have a Weber lp traditional grill and a lp blackstone griddle. They have different uses but found myself using the griddle more often

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just bought a CampChef 4 burner flat top grilL. I got the portable one for fishing trips, etc. It’s a ton of fun experimenting with, and you can make a lot of food really fast. Had a great time with a smash burger bar. I’d highly recommend.

Posts: 281 | Location: Outside St. Louis | Registered: June 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post