SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fortified Roof Program for Coastal MS and AL
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fortified Roof Program for Coastal MS and AL Login/Join 
posted
The drone footage of Gulf SHores, Alabama shows very little roof damage to homes with a Fortified Roof TM. The others have blue tarps. There is some insurance benefit and possibly some grant money. Any members or contractors have experience with this system?? Thanks

Posts: 17258 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23517 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Yep!

I had significant roof damage to our beach house on the Outer Banks of NC after hurricane Dorian paid us a visit.

To “fix” the roof would be just about what our deductible was and in looking into the cause of the damage we quickly found out that the nails that the builder used to nail down the plywood had actually rusted!

So we had to do something about it and in looking at options my roofer suggested going the fortified roof Option. We looked into it and pulled the trigger. We hope that is the last roof we have to fool with.

One thing to keep in mind is that your insurance company may have a program grant for this upgrade so be sure to ask about it (mine didn’t).

If you have any specific questions feel free to email me and I’ll send you some pictures.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6331 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you. That is very helpful information. My current roof was replaced in late 2005 after Katrina so it is long in the tooth. I will check with my State Farm agent. The best time to look for a roof is when there is not an immediate need. I am quite willing to spend a few extra dollars to avoid water in the house and collapse of the walls.

Posts: 17258 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Our hotel in Gulf Shores (Hilton at Gulf State Park) is a Fortified rated property. It took a direct hit 2 weeks ago and held up very well. It's no joke to get Fortified on a commercial building and we had to do a lot of testing on a few roof assemblies that were not already tested.

Obviously, buying a tested and approved roof assembly will get you a very good roof and a nice hefty price with a payback dependent on when the next storm comes through. If the hurricane comes within 5 years or so then you'll be glad.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CF...igshid=1feywexe9ldl4

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10493 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Have a friend on the coast that just went through this hurricane with a bonded hurricane proof roof. He posted pictures of his roof and his neighbors' roofs the next day. His roof looked perfect, while several of his neighbors had large portions of roofing missing. If I lived down there, I would spring for the extra cost of a hurricane roof.

Posts: 8628 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
Our roof had to be replaced due to tornado damage in 2017. We went with a IBHS Fortified roof. Our insurance went down about $250 a year. It hasn't really been tested yet. We only caught the western edge of Hurricane Sally.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Rebuild Northwest Florida is an organization formed with grants following Hurricanes Ivan and Dennis. The additions to our house are built to 150 mph standards but the original house was not.

During Ivan and Dennis I installed 5/8 plywood over all the doors and windows and we had no damage to the house from 135mph winds save a few shingles damaged by falling limbs. But 16 years later at 70 I am not wrestling sheets of plywood like that again.

We signed up with Rebuild a couple years ago and our share was 20% of the costs. The contractor came in and epoxied the roof sheathing to the trusses from inside the attic space, put steel re-enforcements where needed, installed ballistic glass on tall windows and one entry door, accordion steel shutters on upstairs dormer windows, and provided steel and lexan shutters all around. Our house does not creak in high winds and we are confident that our house will withstand just about any hurricane. We received some moderate insurance credit for the improvements but the value is in the peace of mind.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
I looked at this 6 months ago and there is a certified installer near me. Haven’t gone much further than that though.

Following this thread with interest.

0:01

Posts: 4214 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is great info since we are moving to Daphne in January

idem ea dixit

Posts: 1390 | Location: Daphne, AL | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post