Find
Notify
Tools

More Gear Login/Join 
Picture of armme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Well, the training industry is very saturated right now...

Yeah, I would think this would lead to some kind of pricing wars, as well. I imagine they are all just taking care of each other by not going cheaper than their buddies. In my opinion, most classes are too expensive. Particularly with some of the ammo requirements factored in.

YMMV

Posts: 273 | Location: NC | Registered: August 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
And it gets worse. From the time I stepped on the range till the time I left, I was recorded. Even when we were loading magazines, there was at least one camera on us the whole time. Very creepy and off putting.

You're just salty because you weren't cool enough to make it onto their flashy YouTube sizzle reel.

Posts: 33109 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is always the club, not my swing

Posts: 198 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
The cartoon applies to many so-called photographers also.

Posts: 4061 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
And it gets worse. From the time I stepped on the range till the time I left, I was recorded. Even when we were loading magazines, there was at least one camera on us the whole time. Very creepy and off putting.

You're just salty because you weren't cool enough to make it onto their flashy YouTube sizzle reel.

Meh, I told them I was undercover anyways. Told them my name was Mike Honcho.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37195 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxxpower:
This absolutely applies to guitar gear.

Buy more amps and guitars hoping something will magically make you better.

I'll let Mark do my talking for me on this one.

quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
You know? I don't expect to come here and be attacked like this. Mad

Posts: 17675 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Eureka! Comes the dawn! Until I checked out the better schools and the cost of attendance. Sold off the fly gear. Now I bank fish with spinning gear and catch a shitpot full of fish!
Fly fishing is the golf of fishing.

You know, I have to agree with that Big Grin. When I went out to WY last year, some fly guys looked at me like I was some kind of neanderthal, but I was catching as many fish as they were with my little spinners, and I had way less money into it (and a lot less weight to pack in!).

I also bass fish. I'm a fair weather fisherman...I fish when it's warm, and they're biting, and I use cheap spinning gear. And you know what? I catch a lot of fish! My buddy is one of those guys who can go out in March when there's still chunks of ice in the lake and still catch fish...but who really wants to do that? It's cold and it's miserable, and the bite is slow. He's got more money in rods and tackle than I do in cars, and a loan on his boat...and he enjoys it and is really good at it, so good for him, seriously. Me, I'm happy to wait till June and float around lazily in my little 30 year-old john boat and catch 'em when they're easy, and it's fun to relax and be out on the water.

When it comes to guns, I try to be balanced. I like to be able to shoot everything I have, and tell myself that everything in my safe needs to have some kind of practical purpose. I don't own anything that hasn't been shot, but some of it admittedly doesn't get shot very much. And I am probably heavier on the "acquisition" side than I am on the training side overall. I spend a lot on reloading components, though, and try to get out and shoot at least once a week.

Part of the problem that I have is that I enjoy a wide variety of different guns. I appreciate the mechanics, and enjoy learning how they work. And some of the stuff I like isn't necessarily the most practical from a duty or defensive perspective. As a result, my shooting time gets spread out across a lot of platforms. Over the past 2 years, this has gotten worse, because components have gotten expensive and hard to find, so I've been saving most of my defensive calibers and shooting the ones that "don't matter" so much, like cowboy guns and mil-surp.

If my shooting priorities were 100% practical, I'd own 3 guns...a P320, and 870, and an AR, all my ammo budget would go to feeding those, and all my range time would be dedicated to them. I've been down that road in the past, and while you will see results, it's tiring and kinda takes the fun out of it once it becomes more work than a hobby.

You've gotta find that balance. I have been trying to get into some classes lately, but my work schedule coupled with COVID has made that very difficult. I'm hoping I can work something out to get to at least one or two before the end of the year...I'm annoying my boss because I keep pushing, but it's because I feel like it's important. I'm also planning to try and get out some with the instructors from some other local departments and try to pick up on what they're teaching, so hopefully I can glean even more from that.

But I'm still gonna shoot other stuff for fun, too, and probably buy a few more...just because it's fun and I enjoy doing it. Smile

Posts: 9249 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post