SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ARES: light attack aircraft that never happened ...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ARES: light attack aircraft that never happened ... Login/Join 
Picture of cjevans
posted
ARES: a light attack aircraft that never happened; it only flew in a movie.

- turn rate of 36 degrees per second at 7G
- low-altitude
- close air support
- long endurance
- field performance to operate from roads.

Intriguing design. Simple. Efficient. Survivable. Armored fuel tanks.

The light jet was built around a Pratt & Whitney JT15D turbofan that provides 2,950lbs of thrust and is armed with a General Electric GAU-12/U 25mm five-barrel rotary cannon.

Engine and the inlet are offset eight degrees to port while the fuselage is offset to starboard of the wing centerline

http://nationalinterest.org/bl...never-happened-19939

It only flew in the movies.

Dave Majumdar
March 29, 2017

While the U.S. Air Force’s OA-X program [3] is once again coming to the fore as an alternative to using high-end jet fighters against poorly armed insurgents, the idea is not a new one.

While the last iteration of the concept came in 2008, in earlier years the U.S. Army led the charge to field a new light attack aircraft under the Low Cost Battlefield Attack Aircraft (LCBAA).

Though the program never reached fruition due to political infighting between elements within the Army and the United States Air Force, legendary aircraft designer Burt Rutan build the Scaled Model 151 [4] Agile Responsive Effective Supports or ARES demonstrator for the effort using his own money.

“A design study was performed by Rutan Aircraft Factory in 1981 for such an aircraft. Its mission goals were low-altitude, close air support, with long endurance, and with adequate field performance to operate from roads,” as Scaled—now owned by Northrop Grumman—notes on its website.

“Scaled followed up with the concept, and ultimately decided to build a demonstrator aircraft with internal funds. The ARES first flew on February 19, 1990.”

The Ares was a highly innovative design that eschewed high technology for the sake of simplicity and maintainability—not to mention cost.

The light jet was built around a Pratt & Whitney JT15D turbofan that provides 2,950lbs of thrust and is armed with a General Electric GAU-12/U 25mm five-barrel rotary cannon.

One of the unique features of the aircraft is that the engine and the inlet are offset eight degrees to port while the fuselage is offset to starboard of the wing centerline.

The reason for the odd configuration is to ensure that exhaust gasses from the GAU-12/U are not ingested into engine. The unique feature also helps to cancel some of the recoil from the gun.

“During November of 1991, tests of the GAU-12/U gun system installed in ARES were performed, with outstanding results,” as Scaled notes on its website.

Rutan designed the canard configuration aircraft to be easy to fly even without complex fly-by-wire controls. Indeed, the Ares’ flight control systems were completely mechanical and the jet even had a backup mechanical fuel controls for the JT15D engine.

“ARES has flown more than 250 hours, and demonstrated all of its design performance and handling qualities goals, including departure-free handling at full aft stick,” Scaled states.

Nor did the jet’s lightweight and simple construction detract from survivability. It was extremely agile—with turn rate of 36 degrees per second at 7G—and it boasted armored fuel tanks.

Indeed, the rugged aircraft proved almost ideal for its stated mission goals of “low-altitude, close air support, with long endurance, and with adequate field performance to operate from roads.”

But what happened?

The answer is internal politics within the Army and the Air Force killed the program. LCBAA was the brainchild of Army aviators Jim Kreutz and Milo Burroughs for what was then the Army’s High Technology Test Bed at Fort Lewis, Washington, with the blessing of the service’s then Chief of Staff, Gen. Shy Meyers.

For a time, the program enjoyed the support of legendary Air Force Col. John Boyd and Chuck Spinney — who was one of his disciples.

But the program fell apart after Meyers’ retirement as the effort faced stiff resistance from the Air Force — which jealously guarded its prerogative to operate all land-based fixed wing tactical aircraft as stipulated by the so-called Key West Agreement of 1948 (Both Boyd and Spinney were considered radical elements in the Air Force hierarchy).

Meanwhile, elements within the Army—fearing that the LCBAA threatened the Hughes AH-64A Apache helicopter gunship program—also worked to torpedo the Ares project.

Ultimately, they succeeded—the Ares never completed development or entered production.

The sole Ares demonstrator continues to fly as a research aircraft. It even appeared in a movie as the secret Nazi-era Me-263 jet in the atrocity that was Iron Eagle III.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Precursor to the A-10?

Posts: 6039 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
Precursor to the A-10?

The A-10 entered service in March 1977. First flight was in May 1972.

Posts: 9256 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
I know how this was developed by SCALED and will find some video we took shortly after the bird was flown. Typical of Burt, it was developed with his own money without a RFP/RFQ - nada. It sat engineless for decades in the SCALED hangar in Mojave, but now that Northrup owns 100% of SCALED it has been returned to flight status.

Found a bad copy - will look for a better version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG9LlHcX8lg

Posts: 1492 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Wow, thats'a great video; SF brains trust is awesome! I can cope with the sound.

Q: the footage includes the GAU firing (@ 1:48 and 2:05); on firing, is the aircraft stepping to port from recoil, or is that pilot input on the rudder?

Oh I got it; the blast pressure moves the aircraft to the left by design. Smile

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cjevans:
^^^^^
Wow, thats'a great video; SF brains trust is awesome! I can cope with the sound.

Q: the footage includes the GAU firing (@ 1:48 and 2:05); on firing, is the aircraft steeping to port from recoil, or is that pilot input on the rudder?

No yaw induced by the GAU, but it seemed to slow down 50 knots when fired more than a few rounds. It's an awesome gun that SCALED underestimated the power of on the first ground firing. Ares was tied down with ropes, but broke one on the first firing - it slewed hard over one direction and put a few rounds through the Mojave Fire (sheriff?) Dept shack on the field. Chains ensued next firing :-)

The range work shown was China Lake, but no one at SCALED was authorized to fly there or shoot the gun - so a SCALED investor/Board member who was an ex 117 driver (and a Northrop VP) flew it the short distance from Mojave to the Range. So many crazy stories from SCALED those early days :-)

I recall ARES was slightly smaller than proposed production aircraft to allow use of the 25mm GAU-12 instead of the 30mm GAU-8 used on the A10. Since ARES was a private venture, SCALED had to jump through a lot of unfamiliar hoops to acquire/fire the gun, and had to account for every single 25 mm round.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aileron:
^snip^
Chains ensued next firing :-)

Ha! So it does have a'holey' hysterical history!

Kerry Packer

Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
The Air Force simply doesn't WANT a low cost 'affordable' ground attack aircraft. If we did, we would still be flying something like the Douglas A-1 Skyraider (VERY rugged piston-engine attack plane designed in WWII, seeing service in Korea and Vietnam). There is no prestige involved in this kind of fighting, and the USAF just loves high speed pointy invisible overcomplicated jets that cost obscene amounts of money.

Back in the 70s, Piper built the Piper PA-48 Enforcer. It was basically this same kind of low cost COIN (counter-insurgency) aircraft, based on the P-51 design. It was apparently a decent design that tested well, but the USAF wasn't interested then, just as they aren't interested now in any such aircraft.

They would rather send a $100 million F-35 against a goat-herder in a mud shack than send something costing a tenth that much. It's an institutional hang-up; one of many I have seen in the past 30 years.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21921 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I want one.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29906 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
They would rather send a $100 million F-35 against a goat-herder in a mud shack than send something costing a tenth that much

...which may see the Army with armed fixed-wing aircraft again in the foreseeable future.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
I want one.

... the queue grows!

Kerry Packer

Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanksoldier:
quote:
They would rather send a $100 million F-35 against a goat-herder in a mud shack than send something costing a tenth that much

...which may see the Army with armed fixed-wing aircraft again in the foreseeable future.

I am all for this, but I don't ever see it happening.

IMO, the USAF would fight tooth and nail against the Army having a significant fixed-wing capability, even if it's for a mission the USAF doesn't really seem to care much about.

They don't want to do CAS/close support, and they don't want anybody else to do it, either. That may be an overly-pessimistic assessment of the current situation, but it's the way I see it.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21921 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
This aircraft is so smartly designed and inexpensive to operate, the Air Farce could never accept it into their inventory.

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aileron:
I know how this was developed by SCALED and will find some video we took shortly after the bird was flown. Typical of Burt, it was developed with his own money without a RFP/RFQ - nada. It sat engineless for decades in the SCALED hangar in Mojave, but now that Northrup owns 100% of SCALED it has been returned to flight status.

Found a bad copy - will look for a better version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG9LlHcX8lg

Burt Rutan was a genius, very creative, imaginative, designer of very unique airplanes.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:
quote:

IMO, the USAF would fight tooth and nail against the Army having a significant fixed-wing capability, even if it's for a mission the USAF doesn't really seem to care much about.

They don't want to do CAS/close support, and they don't want anybody else to do it, either. That may be an overly-pessimistic assessment of the current situation, but it's the way I see it.
I would have agreed and bet on this 100% before the last election. Now I'm wouldn't be so sure.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7392 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:
quote:

That isn't overly-pessimistic, it's the sad truth. I think the USMC only got away with insisting on having their own CAS (and everything else) because they are so small (plus the nature of expeditionary ops).

Turning fixed-wing CAS over to the Army would make the most operational sense. AF would stick to strategic air missions and air superiority.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 925 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:

True... BUT: The military branches have to remain mission-relevant.

The Army turned Fort Irwin, where we used to go fight "Russians" into Afghanistan where we now go fight Hadjis.

They lightened up the heavy mechanized forces, they introduced Strykers, they pre-positioned divisions-worth of equipment aboard ships. All this with the goal of becoming more rapidly deployable, and more easily sustainable, and thus relevant to the current conflicts.

The Air Force is NOT doing that. They're repeating Vietnam: Expensive aircraft designed to deliver nukes to Moscow are dropping dumb iron bombs on peasants in a rice field.

We need F22s just like we still need M1A2s... but the AF better find some Strykers to add to the mix.

quote:
AF would stick to strategic air missions and air superiority.

The AF really_should_ become part of the Army again... air superiority and strategic bombing are part of the land warfare mission.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post

Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Returned to flight status? Wonder if they are considering on submitting this back into contention with AF?

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post