SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Assa Abloy protec2 installation question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Assa Abloy protec2 installation question Login/Join 
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted
Good day, I installed the Abloy protec2 series in my house when we bought it 2 years ago but for some reason I did not install the interior cover disc. I finally am getting around to it but the instructions really don't explain how to? Is it as simple as just pushing (maybe with a bit of help from a mallet Big Grin ) it in?

Anyone have experience with these locks?

Great locks by the way, not cheap but the quality far surpasses the normal Lowes/Home Depot locks.

Only pain is ordering new keys, you have to have the card with the SN#s on it....good luck finding that Roll Eyes

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I don't know what it is, but that's the stupidest fucking name I've seen for a product or service in ages.

Posts: 109158 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
It’s a funny name but they make some solid security solutions.

Assa Abloy was founded as the merger of the two companies Assa and Abloy in 1994. ASSA stands for August Stenman Stenman August. The name Abloy comes from a contraction of the Swedish Finnish bilingual name Ab Låsfabriken Lukkotehdas Oy, meaning literally Ltd. Beste skandinavische Sperrzeit would’ve been a better choice...

Posts: 13861 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I don't even know what the interior disk is. 9 years ago I was trying to figure out what kind of locks I needed and settled on Medeco. Yes, thats the model Assa Abloy makes. Even the keys feel sturdy, kind of like the ones from upscale motels.

Now at this late state in the game, I realize I maybe did some overkill. All my doors use the same key, the big sturdy ones. At the old house I did have a problem. The chincy Yale keys started to twist off. Dual cause, the worst being the "cut" near the user end was a deep cut, meaning less brass to support the torque of locking and unlocking.

The biggest advantage of the Medeco brand is their fanatic adherence to blank control. Meaning you can't just go to a kiosk or hardware and have another made up. As indicated above, you need the serial number of your key. The company doesn't just let your local burglars order up keys at random. If you don't need extra keys, nows the time to start the ordering process. If you need one extra, order 2 or 3 because there is always the outside chance you'll eventually need another and its not a quick trip to the hardware or mall. I bet that really pisses off the local thieves. I've even read that some fools say they can "bump" one of the locks. They're just liars looking for an argument. Easier to break the windows and climb in.

It adds expense because you now need "glass break" detectors on your alarm system. Might as well figure in cell phone dialer for the outbound alarm. This shit can get expensive if you like your stuff.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18394 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Ok...bad description, the disc that covers the screws that hold the cylinder together. The little brass disc that says "ABLOY"

Everything I have read states they cannot be bumped...hell, with the ball bearings inside you would have a hard time drilling them.

HA found the key code so I can order a couple more keys.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Hope yours hold up better than mine.
Bought mine 4 years ago. One striker already broke on my garage door (gets used the most). Replaced free of charge.
I got the rustic bronze finish or whatever all my outside pieces are faded and have like a white haze forming.
Need to take pics and head down to the knob store as I am pretty sure they have a lifetime finish warranty as well.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25701 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post