SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Two negative points about carrying a BUG
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two negative points about carrying a BUG Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
I watched a video on youtube by Paul Harrell about carrying BUGs, the pros and cons and so forth. But at 9:30 he says two things about BUGS that I think one might want to think about before carrying one:

1) The extra scrutiny from LE and the Justice System for carrying a BUG

2) It may actually be illegal, or a gray area in your state, to carry a BUG.

Anyway if you don't want to watch it from the beginning, start at about 9:30 into the video to get to the meat of his two points above.

I trust the Sigforum on this one, lots of good wisdom is on tap for this subject I believe, both from those who do and don't carry BUGs, and also from our lawyerly bretheren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXtzu0bJmb8

So what say you ?

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8721 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
If you are legal to carry concealed, I don't see why you can't carry 3 if desired?

Posts: 6195 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It may, in fact, be illegal in some areas. As far as "extra scrutiny" goes, KY allows just about any weapon to be carry concealed with the permit, specifically including switchblades, numchuks, daggers and clubs. I doubt if a second, third, fourth or fifth gun would cause a stir. Of course, there's not a lot of violent crime here, in part due to the liberal concealed carry laws.

Posts: 17153 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
I watched a video on youtube by Paul Harrell about carrying BUGs, the pros and cons and so forth. But at 9:30 he says two things about BUGS that I think one might want to think about before carrying one:

1) The extra scrutiny from LE and the Justice System for carrying a BUG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXtzu0bJmb8

So what say you ?

2) should be easy, look it up for your state. If the usual sources don't have the scoop a chat with a friendly cop or knowledgealbe lawyer should get you on the road to legal.

1) No body wants to get scrutened much less extra scrutened. But if you think you need it, then as Ayoob would say (maybe, I'm not him) anticipate the attack and prepare your defense. Get your mind and mouth in synch before the question gets asked. If the prospect of getting exta screwed,excuse me, scrutened is too much then reconsider if you need it, if you need it see above.

My personal choice is to always have one on me and always have another locked in the truck (220) or immediately accessible at home (870), but I don't carry a back-up on me.

Posts: 6407 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
there are many more reasons to carry than there are not to carry ,
what you do will most likely cause way more trouble than what you have on you .

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54717 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They tried to make that the law in IL when they finally got forced to allow Concealed Carry. No BUG, not even spare mags or speed loaders for your primary. The law got so ridiculous and expensive that I gave up on it, so I don't know how it ended up, but yes, it's possible that a BUG would not be allowed.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9187 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen the video yet, but I would agree that those are a couple of concerns to consider if carrying a BUG. I don't normally carry a BUG, but have in the past. As far as addressing those concerns...

1. How often is it recommended for LEOs to carry a back-up gun?

On the non-LE side, one can refer to Massad Ayoob's advice regarding the subject. One question he suggests posing is to ask how many people would go on a cross-country drive without a spare tire? If you can articulate a valid reason for carrying a BUG, that can go a long way towards mitigating any issues.

Similarly, depending on jurisdiction, authorities may not look positively on non-LE carrying guns for self-protection, with or without a BUG, even if legal. Another item to consider.

2. As always, know your state and local laws, as well as the laws of anywhere you may travel. FYI, NM is the only state I'm aware of that prohibits carrying a BUG.

Just my opinion.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
My state is pretty sane when it comes to gun laws. I don't think his two points pertain to my state. But I am going to look into it

his assertion that 40 out of 50 don't allow it seems wrong to me. He could have cited one case or state law that does not allow for 2 guns.

Posts: 7806 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Is this guy legit?

40 states? I call BS.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6220 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
Is this guy legit?

40 states? I call BS.

Based on what ? Is a BUG legal in your state ?

Posts: 8721 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
henryarn and wishfull, I had never heard those points by Mass, I'm gonna look that up. Good points when I think about it.

Also to be fair, this Paul Harrell was involved in a SD justifiable homicide protecting his wife from a guy running her down with a pickup, so there's that. He did what he had to do and delt with it, and feels, probably justifiably so, that the DA and police tried to make him out as the BG, even the while knowing he was justified, according to him. I tend to believe him. Lots of areas of the country don't "believe" in SD justifiable homicide. Why ever the hell not I may never understand.

Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
we've had folks in this state try to maintain you can't carry a backup because it's a "Concealed handgun permit", not a "handguns" permit. Doh.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
we've had folks in this state try to maintain you can't carry a backup because it's a "Concealed handgun permit", not a "handguns" permit. Doh.

That's kind of like saying it's illegal to open carry, even if open carry is legal in your state, because someone standing on the left side of you can't see the holstered pistol on your right hip.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17010 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Not legal in NM.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17309 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:

So what say you ?

Well, I say that I'm not concerned even in the slightest on that point. Not in my state anyway.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30449 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Not legal in NM.

Do you actually have a source to the law that prohibits a BUG? I'm curious how it's actually written.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30449 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did carry a BUG daily as an LEO. I no longer carry one. Why? Because as an LEO I had a greater risk than an ordinary citizen. And the chances of losing my primary (or it becoming disabled) was greater too.
Now my risk level is greatly reduced so I don't feel the need for a BUG.
I know of no law that prohibits them.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16133 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Snipped from the Tennessee statute.

snip:
carry permit shall entitle the permit holder to carry any handgun or handguns the permit holder legally owns or possesses
Snip:

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4131 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Not legal in NM.

Do you actually have a source to the law that prohibits a BUG? I'm curious how it's actually written.

From the third page of the New Mexico page on handgunlaw.us (Thanks Gary!):

10.8.2.16 Terms and Conditions of License:
A. Carrying only handguns listed on license. No person shall carry a concealed handgun of a different category or higher caliber than is indicated on the license issued to that person by the department. A licensee shall only carry one (1) concealed handgun at any given time.

Posts: 6926 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
When Michigan went from a Concealed Pistols License to a Concealed Pistol License, we had some jurisdictions trying to say that you could only carry a single pistol. We got an AG letter stating it was singular OR multiple firearms.

Still pisses me off that I can carry my AK pistol and as many mags as I can hold up, openly or concealed but I can't carry a double edged knife, a dagger or a sap.

Posts: 11235 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post