SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dry Well Question for AC Drainage
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dry Well Question for AC Drainage Login/Join 
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Storm water and (wastewater)sewer systems are isolated. Sewer(wastewater) is closed system.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43902 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pipe it to your main drain and forget about it.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
A lifetime spent in and around the cesspool business, dealing with "pools" and dry wells. I've seen it countless times where people try to make a dry well for their washing machine by burying a barrel and filling it with rocks. (never works very long, too small and the soap kills it fast)

I assume (because I can't think of any other reason to do it), in the old days the idea of the rocks was that once the barrel rusted away, there'd still be something there and it wouldn't cave in. But people still do it with plastic barrels, though I don't know why. The only thing filling them with rocks is doing is taking up space that water could be occupying.

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Your idea will work,I did the 30 gallon hole four decades ago,fill with river stone and a six in layer of soil on top St Augustine grass looks great around that spot

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Pipe it to your main drain and forget about it.

This is how it’s ben in every central air conditioned house I’ve lived in.

Posts: 26914 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kg5388
posted Hide Post
Is this the main drain or the overflow. Condensate drains are supposed to be ran into the drain system for the house. If the main drain stops up there is an emergency drain or pan the furnace sits in that is piped outside. I would check that first.

If this is the only drain and you have a plumbing vent pipe that runs thorough the roof near the ac then Run the drain into a condensate pump and then pipe the hose off it to a hole drilled into plumbing vent pipe

Posts: 1846 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
Most places do not allow any water from A/C or ground water in the sewer system.

Because water condensed from the atmosphere might contaminate the sewage?

Wink

That water is purer than what you get from city water.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20828 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
Most places do not allow any water from A/C or ground water in the sewer system.

Wink

That water is purer than what you get from city water.

A/C water, pure?

Not a chance in hell!

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
A/C water, pure?

Not a chance in hell!

Joking man, you would be ingesting dirt, skin mites, pollen, dust, God knows what else. City water is probably almost as bad.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20828 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

Joking man

Had a guy who tasted the condensate from a high efficiency furnace once. Thinking it was like drinking distilled water.
Yeah, that's the ticket. Roll Eyes

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 41:

Wink

The sewer system will be overloaded during a storm.

At one place, I have to pay a Storm Water Tax to fix the system by taking the storm water out of the sewer system and having a separate system for storm water.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A different approach would be to collect the A/C water in a suitable container, we use the jugs the kitty litter is sold in. Screw top once it's full. We use it on our landscaping, flower beds and gardens. We figured we've paid for it once with our electric bill might as well use it on our plants. We've been doing this for about 20 years or so and works great.

Posts: 782 | Location: KC Metro MO | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
You can get a condensate pump unit that collects the water and then pumps it outside when the container is full.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Diver...sate-Pump/1000614463

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:

Groundwater , yes . A/C drain ? Every one I've ever seen is piped into the sewer system .

Posts: 4062 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post