SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    San Francisco Mayor Asking For Her Brother's Early Release From Prison
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

San Francisco Mayor Asking For Her Brother's Early Release From Prison Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
I don't care either way and the "victim" was also an armed robbing scumbag. A 40+ year sentence does sound overly harsh for manslaughter though...our system is out of whack.

yeah you gotta admit 44 years for manslaughter is a long stretch

-------------------------

What about for armed robbery, pistol whipping someone, use of a firearm during a felony, evading police, likely illegal possession of a firearm, and a litany of traffic violations?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20829 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
SFL, do you want to take up the case and free the poor, oppressed, wrongly-convicted saint?

Not really, (I never did appeals anyway), just found this version odd. I was looking it up based on a question in this thread as to why MS and not felony murder, good question. So I looked it up and per the article the "killing" was after the robbery, so that answered that question, but then, you read on and it stated Brown was not even in the car? My assumption is the article from 2000 is wrong. A good guess is that it was Brown that tossed her and Sala Thorn was the one "at large"?

Anyway, just thought it would add to the discussion.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
Throw her out of office for perjuring herself at her brother's trial.
Put her in prison for perjury.

Make him serve out his sentence and add more for suborning perjury.

That would be justice.

Bruce

I like the way you think!

The problem is that perjury is lying and Dims think lying is perfectly acceptable and there are far too many Dims in power there for her to ever face any consequences.

Posts: 6920 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
I don't care either way and the "victim" was also an armed robbing scumbag. A 40+ year sentence does sound overly harsh for manslaughter though...our system is out of whack.

Not for pushing a criminal co=conspirator into traffic... Many places would call that murder... Regardless, what does such a person, possibly, have to offer society?

Posts: 5741 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:

Not for pushing a criminal co=conspirator into traffic... Many places would call that murder... Regardless, what does such a person, possibly, have to offer society?

Well, they say that you can be either a shining example or a terrible warning. This guy obviously offers the latter.

Posts: 4502 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.leagle.com/decision/infdco20140228c01

From 2014:

ORDER DENYING PETITION FOR WRIT OF HABEAS CORPUS; GRANTING CERTIFICATE OF APPEALABILITY

Before the Court is the above-titled petition for a writ of habeas corpus, filed pursuant to 28 U.S.C. § 2254 by petitioner Napoleon Brown , challenging the validity of a judgment obtained against him in state court. Respondent filed an answer to the petition and petitioner has filed a traverse.

On May 10, 2005, a San Francisco County jury found petitioner guilty of murder (Cal Penal Code § 187(a)1), four counts of robbery (§ 212.5) and carjacking (§ 215) and found true robbery and carjacking felony-murder special circumstances (§ 190.2(a)(17)(A) & (L)) and personal use of a firearm and arming enhancements except as to the carjacking count. (Clerk's Transcript ("CT") at 1834-35.) The trial court granted petitioner a new trial on the murder count and he was sentenced to 44 years and fourth months on the other counts. (CT at 2112, 2148.)

Petitioner directly appealed the judgment in the California Court of Appeal. On July 21, 2009, in a reasoned opinion, the California Court of Appeal affirmed the judgment and the order granting petitioner's motion for a new trial on the murder charge. (Ex. 13.2) On October 28, 2009, the California Supreme Court summarily denied the petition for review. (Ex. 15.) Petitioner's state habeas petitions were denied

On November 29, 2011, the prosecution amended the murder charge to involuntary manslaughter and petitioner pled no contest to involuntary manslaughter and was resentenced to a total term of 42 years and four months in state prison on all counts

very detailed account of the incident at the link

Posts: 19584 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
If they had hung him after the initial trial for the murder, this wouldn't be an issue...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11290 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
https://www.leagle.com/decision/infdco20140228c01

From 2014:

ORDER DENYING PETITION FOR WRIT OF HABEAS CORPUS; GRANTING CERTIFICATE OF APPEALABILITY

Before the Court is the above-titled petition for a writ of habeas corpus, filed pursuant to 28 U.S.C. § 2254 by petitioner Napoleon Brown , challenging the validity of a judgment obtained against him in state court. Respondent filed an answer to the petition and petitioner has filed a traverse.

On May 10, 2005, a San Francisco County jury found petitioner guilty of murder (Cal Penal Code § 187(a)1), four counts of robbery (§ 212.5) and carjacking (§ 215) and found true robbery and carjacking felony-murder special circumstances (§ 190.2(a)(17)(A) & (L)) and personal use of a firearm and arming enhancements except as to the carjacking count. (Clerk's Transcript ("CT") at 1834-35.) The trial court granted petitioner a new trial on the murder count and he was sentenced to 44 years and fourth months on the other counts. (CT at 2112, 2148.)

Petitioner directly appealed the judgment in the California Court of Appeal. On July 21, 2009, in a reasoned opinion, the California Court of Appeal affirmed the judgment and the order granting petitioner's motion for a new trial on the murder charge. (Ex. 13.2) On October 28, 2009, the California Supreme Court summarily denied the petition for review. (Ex. 15.) Petitioner's state habeas petitions were denied

On November 29, 2011, the prosecution amended the murder charge to involuntary manslaughter and petitioner pled no contest to involuntary manslaughter and was resentenced to a total term of 42 years and four months in state prison on all counts

very detailed account of the incident at the link

That answers my questions. He got a plea deal from homicide, multiple robbery charges, carjacking and firearms violations and now wants to be released having served less than 1/3 of his sentence.

Sounds reasonable by CA standards.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I suspect that what happened, is that Breed's Democratic friends in high places asked the DA's office to reduce the murder charge, as a preliminary for an early release. Now that she has moved higher up the Democratic ladder, she has more clout and everyone can say that 44 years is too much for manslaughter.

In California, some people are more equal than others.
------------
AZ, the charge was reduced after he was found guilty and any appeals had been exhausted. So it was not a plea deal.

-c1steve

Posts: 4056 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Moonbeam issued hundreds of pardons yesterday, but none for Nappy Slaphappy Napoleon. Guess the mayor's bro will happily grow old in prison.

link

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16709 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anti 2A Newsom will be the new governor in a few days, so she can try with him.

-c1steve

Posts: 4056 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
Throw her out of office for perjuring herself at her brother's trial.
Put her in prison for perjury.

Make him serve out his sentence and add more for suborning perjury.

That would be justice.

Bruce

This.

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1211 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Beautiful Mind
Picture of DetonicsMk6
posted Hide Post
Another article about her petition mentions he was recently tagged for heroin possession at the facility. Roll Eyes

Posts: 4812 | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post