SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Man carries gun through TSA Atlanta, flies to Japan
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Man carries gun through TSA Atlanta, flies to Japan Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted
Well well well. How about that!

(CNN) A traveler carrying a firearm boarded a flight from Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport and flew to Tokyo Narita International Airport on January 3, according to a statement from the Transportation Security Administration.

"TSA has determined standard procedures were not followed and a passenger did in fact pass through a standard screening TSA checkpoint with a firearm at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport on the morning of January 3," the release states.

Delta Airlines also issued a statement to CNN, saying that "upon the customer's disclosure, the airline reported the incident to the TSA."

The security breach came two weeks into the government shutdown, during which TSA agents have been required to work but have not received paychecks. CNN first reported on January 4 -- a day after the breach -- that hundreds of TSA agents from at least four major airports had called in sick.

Unpaid airport screening agents to get a day's pay and $500 bonus during shutdown
However, the TSA dismissed suggestions the government shutdown contributed to the security lapse and said a normal amount of staffers were working that day.

"The perception that this might have occurred as a result of the partial government shutdown would be false," TSA said. "The national unscheduled absence rate of TSA staff on Thursday, January 3, 2019, was 4.8% compared to 6.3% last year, Thursday, January 4, 2018. So in fact, the national call out rate was higher a year ago than this year on that date."

The TSA noted that it will "hold those responsible appropriately accountable."

TSA screeners have struggled to detect weapons even in the absence of a shutdown. In 2015, the acting administrator for the TSA was reassigned after a report found that airport screeners failed to detect explosives and weapons in nearly every test that an undercover team conducted at dozens of airports.

About 51,000 TSA agents are among the 800,000 government employees working without pay or on furlough during the shutdown. The Air Traffic Controllers Union, Aviation Safety Inspectors Union and various other groups and air travel experts have issued statements condemning the various consequences of the shutdown, but the TSA and aviation experts have said flying is still safe.

"Security standards will NOT and have NOT been compromised," said Michael Bilello, TSA assistant administrator for public affairs, on Twitter.

In an attempt to ease the financial pain caused by the government shutdown, the TSA announced Sunday that it would provide a day's pay for those who were on duty the day after the lapse in funding, and also award $500 bonuses for work during the holiday travel season.

"While I realize this is not what you are owed for your hard work ... and what you deserve, I hope these actions alleviate some of the financial hardship many of you are facing," TSA Administrator David Pekoske wrote.

Link to story

Posts: 11854 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So it’s not due to government shutdown, it’s just a normal pathetic incompetant job that they do. Or don’t do.

Posts: 1755 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Of course the story is from CNN, so the shutdown is mentioned directly no less than 6 times- the serious safety violation was mentioned only briefly. This was despite even admitting that the shutdown had absolutely no effect on staffing numbers. I hate those reprehensible assholes and their bullshit “reporting”.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15597 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Whomever that passenger is, they are in deep deep trouble. You would have better luck flying into and then out if NYC with that handgun.

Posts: 7076 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Their lack of care caused by the shutdown probably played a very small part, if at all. There was only like a 60% chance of them finding it anyway.

(based on what I was told by a former TSA agent)

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Upon the customer’s disclosure? The first thing I would have done was find a deep lake, lose the pistol, chalk it up to stupidity, and get on with my life.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^

I’m guessing he decided it was better to deal with TSA than Japanese customs.

Posts: 8961 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah. Forgot about Japanese customs. Regardless, his stupid is going to hurt.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spokane228:
Upon the customer’s disclosure? The first thing I would have done was find a deep lake, lose the pistol, chalk it up to stupidity, and get on with my life.

I would have gone through the bathroom trash to find some poopy diapers, stripped the gun, wrapped the pieces in different diapers and tossed them in several different trash cans.

Posts: 3231 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
If it was a domestic flight, I probably would have kept my mouth shut and sweat bullets until I was on the ground and out of the airport. But being an international flight...yikes. In putting myself in that situation, I tend to agree, I think I would have broken the pistol down and tossed it...hoping it doesn’t get discovered in the trash. It’s serialized, so they’re gonna know it was me if they find it.

Being honest and disclosing it is the right thing to do, but I doubt they’ll reward him for his honesty. If you’re screwed either way, I think I’d roll the dice and hope it makes its way to a land fill never to be seen again.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Isn't the penalty for this usually a $1000ish fine and maybe lose the gun? That's nothing to sneeze at, in addition to missing his flight and probably not getting the ticket refunded. But it doesn't sound that bad.

Posts: 3542 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
Isn't the penalty for this usually a $1000ish fine and maybe lose the gun? That's nothing to sneeze at, in addition to missing his flight and probably not getting the ticket refunded. But it doesn't sound that bad.

He was bringing a firearm into Japan in violation of Japanese and international law. He was in Japan. Penalties under US law have little or nothing to do with it at that point.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yeah, wow. I don't care if it was my most expensive or favorite gun, I would've found some way to ditch it.

And I've never before flown into Japan, I've only gone by ship, but I would imagine Japan customs would be similar to others I've been through like in Europe. A bag check would at most be random, no?

Anyway, there should be plenty of places (bathrooms, garbage cans) to ditch the gun prior to going through customs.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:

Handguns are illegal in Japan and the penalties are severe.

Posts: 7076 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Step dad made it to Europe with a box cutter in his bag in 2011. Didn't realize it was in there until we were going through security in Berlin to fly to London.

Posts: 11170 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Kinda raises the question now, doesn't it? How many people have actually made it through security with a handgun and realized it later and just kept their mouths shut?

I'm willing to bet the answer is more than one person.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

And I've never before flown into Japan, I've only gone by ship, but I would imagine Japan customs would be similar to others I've been through like in Europe. A bag check would at most be random, no?
I have only been once, 1994. My luggage was not inspected. I imagine that security has been beefed up considerably in the past 25 years. Maybe X-ray for all luggage?

The article stated that the handgun was in the passenger's carry-on luggage, not checked luggage. The article also states "TSA and aviation experts have said flying is still safe."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30694 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

Yeah, wow. I don't care if it was my most expensive or favorite gun, I would've found some way to ditch it.

Anyway, there should be plenty of places (bathrooms, garbage cans) to ditch the gun prior to going through customs.

As mentioned, handguns in Japan will bring severe punishment. When you arrive in Narita International, you go though a secondary security check once you arrive “if” you are connecting to another flight. If arriving at Narita and “staying” in Tokyo, you go through a medical (kind of a heat detection) scanner, and then go to Immigration/passport check, then you get your checked bag(s)and walk through customs (typically at Customs you just show your passport and answer some questions), although they can certainly stop and And do a security check of you anywhere along the way. It’s a friendly, welcoming, wonderful country but it prudent that you just don’t break any rules there....especially as a foreigner/gaijin.

-

Posts: 172 | Registered: August 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Augen:
So it’s not due to government shutdown, it’s just a normal pathetic incompetant job that they do. Or don’t do.

Yes this... this is the scariest. They are even too stupid to blame it on a shut down or lack of support... Nope its not that, we just suck ass at what we do.

Is there a more incompetent government agency? The last tests they had a 95% failure rate, which is just staggering.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Augen:

I think you have summarized this very well.

Posts: 747 | Location: Vermont | Registered: February 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post