SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Education: The Homeschooling Option
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Education: The Homeschooling Option Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
Townhall.com
Liam Sigler

Americans have lost faith in the public school system. Only 36 percent of U.S. parents have a “great deal” of support for public schools, according to a 2017 study by Gallup. But despite this dismal reality, more than 90 percent of American children remain enrolled in public schools.

There is, however, a growing contingent of parents who are rejecting government schools and instead choosing to educate their own children at home. Although homeschoolers only currently make up about 3.4 percent of the total student population, homeschooling is a shining example of what education freedom can deliver. When it comes to standardized testing and other educational benchmarks, there is no denying that homeschoolers fare much better than their public school counterparts. After examining a compilation of nationwide studies, Dr. Brian Ray of the National Home Education Research Institute revealed that, “The homeschooled have consistently scored in these studies, on average, at the 65th to 80th percentile on standardized academic achievement tests in the United States and Canada, compared to the public school average of the 50th percentile.”

Another study validates homeschoolers’ exceptional academic achievement. In a poll conducted by Ray, homeschooled students achieved scores in the 86th to the 89th percentile, compared to the standard 50th percentile for those enrolled in government schools. Interestingly, the homeschooled students who had neither parent certified as a teacher performed as well as those who had a parent that was a certified teacher, by a margin of 88 percent to 87 percent.

Furthermore, on college entrance exams, homeschoolers routinely score higher than public school students. On the 2014 Standardized Achievement Test (SAT), homeschoolers on average scored a 567 in critical reading, 521 in mathematics, and 535 in writing. How did the public school students perform on the same test? Quite a bit lower, as the national average for all public school students was 497 in critical reading, 513 in mathematics, and 487 in writing.

Unlike public schools, homeschooling inherently meets the unique needs of each child. Who else, besides a parent, knows what is best for their own children? Certainly not government bureaucrats and teachers, who work at the mercy of state and federal regulators, many of whom have no idea how to educate kids!

Homeschooling accommodates a wide variety of personality and learning differences, a stark difference from the traditional public education system. Thanks to Common Core, much of the classroom time spent in public schools is now unnecessary and pointless. On the other hand, homeschooling allows parents to optimize their schedule and curriculum based on a student’s individual needs. A class of one maximizes customization and minimizes standardization. In a homeschool environment, if a student excels at history but struggles with mathematics, he or she can cruise through the former and slowly absorb the latter.

Some parents might feel intimidated at the prospect of educating their own children, especially if they don’t have a background in education. But homeschooling is more accessible today than ever before. Since homeschooling’s humble beginnings in the 1970s, there has been a wealth of educational resources that have been published for home educators. In fact, there are more than 30 nationally recognized homeschool curriculum providers offering services to U.S. parents today.

Further, parents avoiding homeschooling because they doubt their ability to educate their children should remember that polls show most parents don’t trust publicly certified teachers, either. For example, one study found 75 percent of Americans believe accreditation for teachers does not ensure quality education.

The best evidence for accreditation skepticism comes from a study conducted by Eric Hanushek at the University of Rochester. Relying on data from 113 other educational studies, Hanushek discovered that for 85 percent of the students included in the study there was no correlation between the accreditation of the teacher and the success of the student. Further, educational expert Donald Erickson of the University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA) says accreditation is vastly overrated. “Some of the worst teachers I’ve ever seen are highly certified,” Erickson said. “Look at our public schools. They’re full of certified teachers. What kind of magic is that accomplishing? But I can take you to the best teachers I’ve ever seen, and most of them are uncertified. … We don’t have evidence at all that what we do in schools of education makes much difference in teacher competence.”

Teaching a child at home is not an easy task. It takes time, effort, and, most of all, love. However, the advantages often outweigh the difficulties. If a parent is unsatisfied with his or her child’s public school education and has the ability and interest in homeschooling a child, he or she should feel confident that providing a superior learning environment through homeschooling is both possible and often an incredibly rewarding experience.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I work with 2 home schooled coworkers.
Both are socially awkward.
One is 38, never married, never had a sexual relationship.
The other is 26, exact same boat. Has no idea what to do with women.
Both think they're some kind of "special".

I think there's something to be gained by learning social interactions with large groups.
And learning how to deal with assholes and interact with women.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39765 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
If home schooling is done right no one has to wind up maladjusted. The home schoolers around here have all kinds of social activities, field trips and such. On top of all that there are all sorts of church youth group activities.
Sounds like someone’s idea of home schooling is keeping a kid under a tub in solitary confinement.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are more and more co-ops and other groups that gives social interaction and support for the parents. Our 4H group has a large contingent of home schoolers for instance. We have shooting teams, science teams, camps and many other activities over and above the cliche of just raising animals. Boys and Girls club offer sports.
The weird homeschoolers come from weird parents who kept their kids in a bubble, it is not indicative of the types of kids as a whole
We are still in the Catholic schools in our area, the public schools suck ass, are dangerous, and offer us and others like us nothing. We can afford the tuition but not all can, especially those with larger families. What we have found is that the home school families are college educated, two parent, and are looking for the best options for their kids to get a great education and avoid the government indoctrination bullshit.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cut and plug
posted Hide Post
I would say that the “social” interactions you are advocating for are severely over sold. While I agree there are socially awkward homeschoolers there are also socially awkward public school and private school kids.

Posts: 1145 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I think the biggest counter argument to home schooling is the massive financial burden it places on the parents. Parents who home school their kids could be negatively affecting their retirement by taking on such a commitment.

I think my family is a decent example for this. My wife and I are both college educated and work white collar jobs. My wife is licensed to teach in Colorado, and was an elementary school teacher for her first 3 years out of college. She decided teaching wasn't for her and got an MBA in accounting. She now works in corporate accounting. We send our kids to public schools, they are in first and second grade.

We save approximately 15 - 20% of our salaries for retirement. We have pretty good sized retirement accounts. Our goal is 2 Million for around age 60. Not sure if we'll make it, but we should be close. If my wife stayed home and home schooled our kids we would not be in the good financial position we are in now.

When we had the discussion about home schooling a few years ago I told her, in no uncertain terms that I was not working until I was 70. We both work hard and I want to have the financial means to enjoy an improved lifestyle when I quit working. We live below our means now, and I want to do things when I retire than I do not do now.

Are homeschooling parents, in essence, mortgaging their future by not saving more now?

Posts: 5764 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
All four of my kids were homeschooled through grade school and high school.

The only socialization issues we had was where to draw the line with all the social activities they were involved in. They were involved in sports, science club, music lessons, language classes, Irish step dancing, field trips, etc. It got to the point where the wife and I said "no more".

They are grown up now and doing great. One is a Captain in the Army and served a tour in Afghanistan.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6418 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:

Are homeschooling parents, in essence, mortgaging their future by not saving more now?

I'm not sure there's a black and white answer for that as there are a lot of factors that go into when and if one can retire.

But, it wasn't an issue in my case. As I mentioned above, we homeschooled all four of our kids through grade school and high school. I retired last January at age 58.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6418 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
quote:

I'm not sure there's a black and white answer for that as there are a lot of factors that go into when and if one can retire.

But, it wasn't an issue in my case. As I mentioned above, we homeschooled all four of our kids through grade school and high school. I retired last January at age 58.

Too many factors to list.

I have known people who make well above average money, are constantly running two steps ahead of the bill collectors, don’t seem to live extravagantly, and others who seem to do very well on below average incomes, travel, retire, entertain, etc.

In some cases, of course, I don’t know everything about someone’s resources, but often I do. Some are raising kids, some are not.

Some people are good money managers, don’t waste, avoid extravagances. Others, not so much.

Closing the public schools would level the playing field somewhat.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I guess my point is, I don't think it's as easy as "close down all the public schools and start over". When you have only 1 of 2 working age adults earning income, you are at a significant disadvantage when it comes to finances. You have many more options when both parents are working.

I am not saying it can't be done, as clearly it can. However, there is an opportunity cost associated with not working and using that time to teach your children. We plan on paying for college if both of my boys choose to go. If my wife stayed home during her peak earning years, say age 30 - 50, I don't think that would be an option.

Posts: 5764 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Same old socially awkward home school kid garbage. I work with two mechanical engineers in their 20’s that are socially awkward, have difficulty talking in front of groups and they can’t look you in the eye. Should we assume they represent every university grad? People are going to be socially awkward whether they are home schooled or in public school.

Posts: 4122 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:

How people spend and save have more to do with that. My wife has never worked since we’ve been married, we decided we wanted her home with my daughter while I worked and from grades 5-12 my daughter was home schooled. I will partially retire at 55 and fully retire at 60. Our house was paid for in our mid 40’s, we’ve been contributing to our 401 for 25 years and our only real obligation besides normal food, taxes and utilities is a home improvement loan we will pay off in a couple years. I think home schooling has nothing to do with saving for retirement.

Posts: 4122 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:

And why do you care?

I guess you would rather they have 5 kids with 5 different women?

Posts: 7401 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think there's something to be gained by learning social interactions with large groups.

On the other hand especially these days, you can keep your kids out of the indoctrination that public schools feel is their priority and responsibility, to make sure that the streamlined conservative views they may hear at home are squashed.

I know plenty of odd ducks that went through the public schools system. In fact, I’m pretty much fed up with most kids these days, the entitlement generation and I’d take someone socially awkward over that.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12933 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Having worked as a tutor for an education company and followed several home schoolers. Here’s my take.

What the parent gives into the education is what the student gets out. I had one studentthat came in for an hour three times a week. Really a good kid but way behind. Talking I learned that he slept in, watched Tv, etc. and maybe cracked a book. Seemed m6 time with him was the only time someone sat with him to make him work. Mom worked so he was really home alone.

Another spends all day with her child. They follow a curriculum, complete projects and spend time in the field. Her child loves animals and a lot of education is linked to the. Cost of raising a goat covers math, accounting and budget. The child is scary smart and very social. Just how much “play with other kids and get muddy” stuff she gets. I don’t know.

A neighbor raised her two boys in homeschooling. They would house sit when we were out. The mom always commented about how much time they spent over there playing with the animals. I never told her I always found the TV set to HBO and similar channels. At 11th grade the transferee to the high school I worked at. This was to take advanced courses in computers and such. They were social, and seemed adjusted. I think they had a trace of rebellion that really helped them.

Would I have homeschooled mine? No. I knew the role of teacher is separate from that of being a parent. Mine got much of their education in the Fairfax, VA school district and it was superior to anything I could do. My wife and I gave Then a good grounding in responsibility and ethics. They knew when the BS started.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
quote:

And why do you care?

Because I get stuck training them.
No one else want to be around them so I have to suck it up and deal with these social retards.
I have one now that has a degree in Molecular Biology. Freaking molecular biology!
Hey SC this kid is BRIGHT! You can train him even though he has ZERO experience!
Lets call him Matt Damon. Hey why aren't you interning for a medical research facility?
What, it's too far from home you say?

Oh and then there's the other knucklehead I've had for the past 2 years that thinks the world revolves around his head.
Yet has zero social skills. Christonnastick, do NOT tell the women your hair looks awful today!
Oh, and "if you'd shed a few pounds..."
This retard has NEVER been laid either!
So far every homeschooler that's been dumped on my has had some quirk.

Hell my best employee is a homosexual neanderthal that has excellent social skills and does exactly what I ask.
I don't have to supervise him at all.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39765 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:

You are misinformed. Both of mine are home schooled. One is a college graduate and the other is a professional EMT and joined the Army as a Medic. And neither of them has any problem with men or anyone else. That whole social thing is simple ignorance. They were plenty socialized, and in the best possible ways, both organized, and as they grew up not so organized, like all normal teenagers learning about life and people both good and bad. I've noticed that in all cases people who say that have not been around home schooled children or adults. The people at your workplace, has somewhere between little to nothing to do with home schooling. If done correctly, or even not so correctly, they generally turn out pretty damn good, like lots of people with varied backgrounds.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8696 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
quote:

And why do you care?

Because I get stuck training them.
No one else want to be around them so I have to suck it up and deal with these social retards.
I have one now that has a degree in Molecular Biology. Freaking molecular biology!
Hey SC this kid is BRIGHT! You can train him even though he has ZERO experience!
Lets call him Matt Damon. Hey why aren't you interning for a medical research facility?
What, it's too far from home you say?

Oh and then there's the other knucklehead I've had for the past 2 years that thinks the world revolves around his head.
Yet has zero social skills. Christonnastick, do NOT tell the women your hair looks awful today!
Oh, and "if you'd shed a few pounds..."
This retard has NEVER been laid either!
So far every homeschooler that's been dumped on my has had some quirk.

Hell my best employee is a homosexual neanderthal that has excellent social skills and does exactly what I ask.
I don't have to supervise him at all.

Curious, what is the field you're training them in ? Molecular Biology and Neanderthal sounds interesting. If I should know by now I apologize in advance.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8696 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
I get the concept, but kids the social interaction not offered at home. They need to see the good and bad of society/people to form their own opinions as they move through life.

Posts: 1964 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So many folks think that being home schooled means that you have no contact with the outside world. In our area, which has a significant home school population, I've found that home schooled kids tend to be much more able to interact with others of various ages. I find it odd that the solution to the "problem" of socialization is to put the kids in a classroom full of kids just like them.

Posts: 706 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post