SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone know how Venmo flags payments as goods and services?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone know how Venmo flags payments as goods and services? Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted
My wife booked a girls weekend with friends and they are reimbursing her through Venmo. For some reason about half of them ended with the wife getting a fee for “goods and services “. This is not accurate. The people that sent those payments say they did nothing different. Can’t figure out why or how this is happening.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12446 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Nonsense. Some of them obviously clicked the tab indicating that this payment was for a "goods or service."

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30423 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I bet this is the last time she offers to front the loot.

I think there are fees if they use a credit card instead of a bank transfer.

Posts: 45385 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Nonsense. Some of them obviously clicked the tab indicating that this payment was for a "goods or service."

That would be my guess.

quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
I bet this is the last time she offers to front the loot.

At least for *that* group Wink

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
No such button on Venmo. Only the comments but strangely 2 with same exact comment, one fee, one no fee. Not the credit card fee as that is charged to the sender.

Finally found some posts on google and apparently they have some algorithm to decide but it’s not public info. Very strange. Anyhow we are only talking like $3.50 per transaction so not big money but annoying nonetheless.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12446 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
No such button on Venmo.

There certainly is. It was no algorithm. Someone clicked over the "for purchases" tab.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30423 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Hmm I did not see that and the folks didn’t mention it. Thanks. I will let her know.

These go to eleven.

Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Could be wrong of course, but just going by Occam's razor...

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Could be wrong of course, but just going by Occam's razor...

I’m sure you are right. I don’t use Venmo much at all. Maybe twice in my life. I didn’t recall that button and I asked the wife and her friends said there was no choice like on PayPal. But these women may not be the most observant. I much appreciate you correcting me. Now the wife can correct them.

These go to eleven.

Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
The button wasn't there originally, they added it withing the last few years I would say (I don't use venmo too much either). I guess Venmo decided they needed to add some kind of protection in order to grow.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3517 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was added in the last few months. It wasn’t there when I paid for my fall hockey season, but it was when I paid last week

Posts: 186 | Registered: April 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by funnymech:
It was added in the last few months. It wasn’t there when I paid for my fall hockey season, but it was when I paid last week

Thanks. Now I don’t feel as stupid for saying it doesn’t exist.

These go to eleven.

posted Hide Post
Just say no to any of these apps and have her friends reimburse in cash.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
My understanding is It was added recently because of the upcoming/new $600 IRS reporting requirement.
Folks are screaming about it but it only is for business profit making things.
So they added the button to differentiate the two.
I think they are adding or have added some sort of purchase protection as well.

But yes your wife’s friends hit the button.
Or it is possible their app is not up to date and does not have the button and it now defaults to the fee based option on the old app.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25441 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by the_sandman_454:

Why?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25441 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by the_sandman_454:

Why?

Your post 2 posts above?
...new $600 IRS reporting requirement.
Is 1 reason for me.

Posts: 5768 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:

Your post 2 posts above?
...new $600 IRS reporting requirement.
Is 1 reason for me.

Supposedly, that will only apply to "purchases" or for vendors, not payments between private individuals.

Now, whether to trust that assertion is another matter.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Did they all send her the same amount of money?

That might look to someone / some computer that it's sales.

Posts: 21121 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Did they all send her the same amount of money?

That might look to someone / some computer that it's sales.

Or it's a group of friends splitting a lunch tab.

Seriously, Venmo doesn't do that, make assumptions about your transactions. Not yet anyway.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Will be interesting to see when those 1099s start rolling out.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2389 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post