SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Computer hardware question UPDATE Thanks
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Computer hardware question UPDATE Thanks Login/Join 
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted
My daughters lap to purchased refurbish in 2015 for approximately $250 is a HP pavilion 15 inch model. It has run great and been perfect for her needs.

It will not boot up and when I ran a diagnostic test on it per hp support page I got a hard drive error. Hp says the hard drive needs to be replaced.

There is no data to be recovered this is a straight up swap out. I assume not all hard drives will fit so I have to find a specific model for this lap top. It's a 1 TB hard drive but she could get by with less.

Also will the hard drive have an operating system installed on it or will I need to add that.

For what I have invested and what I've seen hard drives price at I'm not real interested spending a whole lot of money.

So SF computer guys can this be done cheaply. Should I pull the old hard drive and get model information from the old one to purchase a new one?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GA Gator,

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4787 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you can start here for the hard drive. https://www.newegg.com/Laptop-...ry/ID-380?Tid=167524

What operating system did the computer have? If it was win 7, 8, 8.1 or 10 and there is a license sticker, you can download installation disk for win 10 and still use the license.

Good luck
Bill

Posts: 728 | Location: Florida | Registered: October 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Samsung 860 EVO SSD drive, 250gb for $51:

https://www.newegg.com/Product...20-147-676-_-Product

EMCEPPR54 should be able to get you an additional $5 off.

If you need a Windows 7 COA, let me know.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4336 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
for $250.00 you got your money's worth get another 2018 refurb and save yourself the aggravation
https://outlet.us.dell.com/Arb...dzwUovPxLVl%2bFIg%3d

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by side_shot:
for $250.00 you got your money's worth get another 2018 refurb and save yourself the aggravation

^^^THIS^^^

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Its gonna be a 2.5 inch drive, the main thing to check on that vintage is if it's IDE or SATA.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, it's Windows 10. She paid for this with her own money I'd rather change it out than buy her a new one. Its one thing for me to fix it it's another for me to just buy her a new one.

Im going to pul it out then go from there.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4787 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
It will be easier and better to just buy a new refurb rather than try to sink money into the old one.

Posts: 33862 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
My 12 and 13 year old buy their own electronics, lap tops, phone, Xbox, etc. I'll fix them but not replace them. Its worth the $60 and my time. I agree it's likely better to just replace it but she doesn't have $250.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

SIG-Music to my ears!
Picture of synthrob
posted Hide Post
The rest of the electronics in the laptop are probably solid. It's not uncommon for the hard drive to go bad in laptops. Replace the drive (if it's a SATA interface) with the Samsung SSD as suggested by lkdr1989. It's a great deal and 250 GB is more than enough for the OS and lots of data (pictures/videos). And, you will be amazed at the speed of the computer with an SSD drive. It will give new life to it.

Posts: 2853 | Location: NE Ohio  | Registered: April 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
My 12 and 13 year old buy their own electronics, lap tops, phone, Xbox, etc. I'll fix them but not replace them. Its worth the $60 and my time. I agree it's likely better to just replace it but she doesn't have $250.

omg just front her the money then you can make her work it off

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post

Chi Chi, get the yayo

SIG-Music to my ears!
Picture of synthrob
posted Hide Post
Yep, that's a SATA III (6 Gbps) hard drive. Replace it with the Samsung 250 GB SSD and install Windows 10 and the system will be flying. Even though it's a 1 TB drive, that's usually way more than is needed for a laptop computer. 250 GB should be adequate, but if you feel you need more, get the 500 GB Samsung SSD. It's on sale as well for about $87.00.

Posts: 2853 | Location: NE Ohio  | Registered: April 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
You can grab any 2.5" SSD on Newegg or Amazon, install it, re-install Windows and have the issue resolved. I'd recommend a 240/250GB drive given the current pricing on that size SSD. A nice side benefit will be that her laptop will feel much faster with that SSD installed.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Going from 1tb to 250GB etc. on an ssd is a risk if you don't have a clue what's being used.
For sure the SSD will be a performance winner, but overall without anything else to go on I'd just put back what was there if all was ok. They are really cheap.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11012 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Music to my ears!
Picture of synthrob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Going from 1tb to 250GB etc. on an ssd is a risk if you don't have a clue what's being used.

Well, the hard drive is toast, so we don't know exactly what was on it. However, I have a 250 GB SSD in my HP laptop with Windows 10 installed, along with a LOT of other programs and many GBs of downloads, videos, and photos and still have about 175 GB free.

Music is mediator between spiritual and sensual life. ~ Ludwig van Beethoven

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
For sure the SSD will be a performance winner, but overall without anything else to go on I'd just put back what was there if all was ok. They are really cheap.
Read GA GATOR's original post. Doesn't sound as though his daughter had much of anything on that drive. I gave my son a refurb'd Dell Latitude laptop I installed a new 250gb Samsung SSD in when he headed to college four years ago, and he's still hasn't maxed out the drive. The performance benefits of an SSD far out weigh the small bump in its price.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by side_shot:

THIS, The battery and fan are probably shot as well as the hard drive. Just get another cheap lap top.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of }BuLL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by still_bill:
you can start here for the hard drive. https://www.newegg.com/Laptop-...ry/ID-380?Tid=167524

What operating system did the computer have? If it was win 7, 8, 8.1 or 10 and there is a license sticker, you can download installation disk for win 10 and still use the license.

Good luck
Bill
I upgraded a Win7 laptop to Win10 during the free upgrade period. The hard drive has since crashed, and a Microsoft rep said I would need to purchase a Win10 license to reinstall that OS. So are you saying I can just key in the Win7 code on a new Win10 installation and it will authorize?

Posts: 131 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
$6o for a new 250gb SSD and a fresh install of Windows 10 gets my vote. Plenty of life left.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post