SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wife wants a Fitbit, not sure where to start
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wife wants a Fitbit, not sure where to start Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted
Anyone have one?

Our neighbor has one that she really likes. She doesn't know much about it as her work provided it to her.

From looking on Amazon, it appears they start at $130 and one model goes up to $250.

Is there a better alternative?

Any help would be great.

Posts: 13314 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got a base model, bought at Kohl's dept store for $125 or so. Fits my needs.

Posts: 174 | Registered: February 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
I prefer Garmin. I started with the 220 several years ago, but moved up to the Vivoactive HR because it lets me log a lot more that running; running (inside and out), biking, walking, etc.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3450 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
I have the Ionic. Holds my music, wallet, etc., and is blue tooth capable, so I wear wireless buds while running. Water proof (not a diver's watch), and gives great info: time, heart rate, sleep amount and quality, etc. I am very satisfied and recommend them to any one who asks.

With tha said, I do favor Apple products and would probably go with their iWatch 4 coming out in te next few weeks. Same capabilities as my Ionic, more expensive, but, reportedly, a much more detailed heart monitor. So much so, I recommended my wife Get the iWatch.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
The biggest question is what does she want it for?
There are so many options need to know what her goal is so give a better idea.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25703 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I've been using the Fitbit Charge 2 HR for about 2 years.
I use it to track the number of steps and my heart rate. Seems to work well.
Syncs with my computer, IPad and phone. Charge lasts about 4-5 days. I plug it into my computer when I'll be at my desk for an hour or so to charge.
They are coming out with a new version soon so I'd probably check that one out too.

Posts: 9834 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are several apps, costing from free to ten bucks, that pretty much do the same thing. You just gotta carry your phone.

Posts: 17261 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Women seem to love the Alta. Holds charge for about 4-5 days. Syncs with iPhone or Droid. Wife and sister have them.

It's not really any fun using it by yourself but perhaps it's better to say it's more fun when you're in a group.

Posts: 4254 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Avoid the Apple watch. Mine holds a charge for less than 8 hours.

Posts: 563 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: February 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with fit bit but I love my garmin vivosport for 160.00. It has built in HR at the wrist so you dont have to wear a chest strap. If she has friends that have a garmin they can do fitness challenges with each other and see each others progress. If its just for the steps get a base model. If she runs, swims, or bikes get a higher end one!!!!

Posts: 7876 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
get her the charge3, it's the "new hotness".
https://www.fitbit.com/shop/charge3

Posts: 8183 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
What does she want and does size matter?

Some have watches and other features and some just track steps/fitness. Some have an LCD screen to steps taken and some don't.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16452 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Inusuit:

Take it to the store and get a new battery. I bought mine, used, a year and two months ago and it generally is down to only 30-50% after 24 hours of use.

When I was working it would go on the charger when I went to bed. So it'd be on my wrist from about 06:00 to 22:30, ±16 hours, each day. I'd generally have 50-70% at the end of each day. Now that I'm retired it goes on the changer in the morning while I have a breakfast bar & coffee in front of the computer. Then I strap it on until the next morning.

I wear it to bed mostly because I get alarm system notifications on it. (Which, quite honestly, never occurred to me until recently. Otherwise I'd have started doing that long ago.) Plus it has a really handy flashlight function.

That being said: While I really like my Apple Watch, there are probably "better," more fitness-oriented devices that are probably a bit tougher. Not-to-mention less expensive. I haven't had any problems with mine, but I'm very careful while wearing it, and I never wear it while I'm wrenching on things.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
is she just using it for walking/running or does she need something to pair to a bicycle computer?

Fitbit only broadcast in Bluetooth.

Mio make activity trackers that broadcast in Bluetooth and ANT+

I have used a Mio Fuse for a couple years now and like it, but I bought my wife the Mio Slice and it has more features.

That said I am saving my dollars for the Garmin as it has a better battery life than my Fuse and tracks a couple more items.

Posts: 3568 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Inusuit:
As ensigmatic said, get the battery replaced.

I have an Apple watch, bought it used from a member here. I was pretty surprised at the battery life, I can probably go more than a day and a half, although I normally charge it in the morning while I'm washing the breakfast dishes and taking a shower. It still has at least 30% the following morning.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31452 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seotaji
posted Hide Post
Be careful with fitbit products. Have had a few and they seem to last about a year and then crap out.

Extended no hassle warranty would be my recommendation.

Posts: 6917 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
I bought the Fitbit Charge HR2, had it a few weeks and I just returned it. The accuracy Seemed off in both steps and activity. For instance, riding my bike I would gets several flights of steps counted on typically flat ground. It would also add extra steps just for turning from the kitchen counter to the table. I also heard they are coming out with one you can swim/shower with.

Posts: 2352 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I had the Fitbit Surge and loved it. But after about a year and a half the battery wouldn't keep a charge more than a day and it got tiresome constantly having to recharge it, so I went back to a traditional watch.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3637 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
The biggest question is what does she want it for?
There are so many options need to know what her goal is so give a better idea.

She wants it to wear to track activity during the day. Heart rate, steps and to also wear at night while she's sleeping to track that.

Is there a model tough enough for her to wear when she does boxing? It's just the type of boxing where they hit bags and not other people.

Posts: 13314 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife was buying fit-bits every year, buy one insure it, get a second one free.

When it fell apart get another one.

they just kept falling apart.

After her fourth she bought an apple watch.

More money keeps on going.

I will get one when the apple watch 4 comes out soon.

She was not doing much with the fit bit but walking the dog miles a day.

Fitbit company peaked in 2016 and has been declining since.

Posts: 4786 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post