SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Carnival Cruise Lines Now Blocking Sig Forum

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Carnival Cruise Lines Now Blocking Sig Forum Login/Join 
Picture of fpuhan
posted
I just came ashore from a week aboard a Carnival Cruise ship. They have the worst Internet connectivity in the world, for which they extract premium prices. At the beginning of the cruise, I was able to log in to SigForum, but connectivity was so bad that I could not post.

Around the second day at sea, I tried to post but found that pretty much any forum dealing with firearms had come under their "net nanny" microscope and I was unable to access this site until today, when I was back on land.

My reason for wanting to post in the first place was the appalling display of CNN -- the only cable "news" channel available on board. I skipped the formal dinner on Tuesday night to watch President Trump's address to Congress, which I thought was well done, if not ground-breaking.

As expected, CNN tore it apart. In fact, every time during the cruise I turned on the TV hoping to catch some news, all CNN seemed to be able to do is tear apart the Trump administration. If it wasn't the speech, it was Jeff Sessions, the immigration policy and pretty much anything else the talking heads could dredge up to throw at the screen.

Of course, CNN is much like something I would scrape off my shoe, but when it's the only news source available, it becomes a pretty loud sounding board. I shudder to think what people who only have CNN for their news of the USA think.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Report This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me like carnival cruise is something to avoid in the future. No thanks.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Report This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
My wife has been on several cruises in Europe and the internet access has been awful on all of them.

Posts: 5609 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Report This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Boycott..... ENGAGED

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37926 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
My wife has been on several cruises in Europe and the internet access has been awful on all of them.

Well yeah,it's satellite internet. it's 36,000 miles each way to the satellite, then if the boat rocks a little bit it throws the dish off and as well as cloud cover etc. So the dish is constantly trying to move to compensate, now with TV it works pretty good because the dish is only recieving, but with internet it's sending too......satellite internet is uber expensive, we have it on yachts, I think it recently has come down to $10 per gigabyte.

I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
I love this place, but pretty sure I could find something else to do on a cruise than surf the web.

Posts: 1803 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Report This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG228:
I love this place, but pretty sure I could find something else to do on a cruise than surf the web.

Amen to that.

Posts: 22845 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Report This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
I think SF blocks Carnival Cruises, don't we? Big Grin

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3757 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Report This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Cruise = No!

Q

Posts: 26192 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Report This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well, I don't drink, smoke or gamble, so that pretty much leaves eating, walking and taking in a show or two.

Since I did this same cruise last year, I've seen the shows (they haven't changed). I did a lot of walking and eating, and my primary goal was to go ashore, take some photos and buy my granddaughter a souvenir. Done and done.

Mostly, I needed Internet because my offer on a new house was accepted and now all parties want tons of documents signed. It was mostly a confluence of events... That, plus I like to upload photos to a photo-sharing site, so quite naturally (for me), a visit to my favorite sites during my post-processing stage is par for the course.

Now, if a cruise line installs and runs a 25-yard shooting range below decks, I'd spend a lot of time there... Smile

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Report This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:

Pretty sure I'd rather surf SIGforum from my own toilet than take a cruise, especially on Carnival.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12930 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Report This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
You need a VPN. I have a subscription based one that works on my iPhone, iPad, and computer. 90% of the time it gets me to Sigforum.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23092 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Report This Post
Picture of ravens1775
posted Hide Post
I've spent enough time at sea to probably never warm up to the idea of paying thousands for a ship ride, anyway.

Posts: 744 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 21, 2015Report This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
We have taken several trips with Royal Caribbean. And they never blocked any of the sites. The speed sucked, but I hear they have really improved recently.

Last cruise they stayed close enough to shore that I was able to use my phone until we passed Miami. So I was able to send a few pictures at decent speed.

Posts: 7387 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Report This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Carnival is bottom of the barrel, according to my wife the cruise expert.

Posts: 26847 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
quote:

Well, I don't drink, smoke or gamble, so that pretty much leaves eating, walking and taking in a show or two.

Since I did this same cruise last year, I've seen the shows (they haven't changed). I did a lot of walking and eating, and my primary goal was to go ashore, take some photos and buy my granddaughter a souvenir. Done and done.

Mostly, I needed Internet because my offer on a new house was accepted and now all parties want tons of documents signed. It was mostly a confluence of events... That, plus I like to upload photos to a photo-sharing site, so quite naturally (for me), a visit to my favorite sites during my post-processing stage is par for the course.

Now, if a cruise line installs and runs a 25-yard shooting range below decks, I'd spend a lot of time there... Smile

20 years ago they used to do trap shooting off of them. It was a ton of fun as the boat rocking added to the difficulty. Unfortunately I don't think any of them offer it anymore.