SIGforum
A registered sex offender just moved next door to my granddaughter. What can I do?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/1290043225

September 29, 2026, 05:22 AM
L90814
A registered sex offender just moved next door to my granddaughter. What can I do?
https://law.justia.com/cases/m...hed/2012/303302.html
September 29, 2026, 06:58 AM
a1abdj
quote:
Otherwise I would move. Seriously.


To where? Middle of Alaska?

I can assure you that if you live anywhere near civilization you're surrounded by registered sex offeners.

I just plugged in a random address in Hoover, AL and found 35 offenders within a 5 mile radius.


________________________



www.zykansafe.com
September 29, 2026, 07:24 AM
jljones
^^^^^
I would also guess that 20-25 of sex offenders court ordered to the registry are non-compliant. Meaning that they aren’t reporting to the authorities their whereabouts. Another significant portion are listed as “homeless” so they aren’t reporting to anywhere and every where.

Seriously, the amount of hand wringing in this thread is a bit silly. Be informed and be aware. And go on about your life.


________________
People hate you. Train like it.



September 29, 2026, 08:47 AM
Fly-Sig
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
^^^^^
I would also guess that 20-25 of sex offenders court ordered to the registry are non-compliant. Meaning that they aren’t reporting to the authorities their whereabouts. Another significant portion are listed as “homeless” so they aren’t reporting to anywhere and every where.

Seriously, the amount of hand wringing in this thread is a bit silly. Be informed and be aware. And go on about your life.


Other registered offenders are irrelevant unless your point is "Don't worry, be happy".

In about 5 or 6 years the granddaughter will be entering the target age range, if we presume this guy is not interested in pre-pubescent girls based on his known victim being early teens. He very well could start trying to groom younger girls so that they are willing when they reach his preferred age range, so it would be prudent to not wait to protect younger girls. Plus, there are bound to be girls in the neighborhood right now in his target age range, so it is right for the residents to be protective.

He was in his mid 40's when, as a teacher, he had sex with a 13-15 year old student repeatedly, and continued it over time as she became 16 yrs old. This was no peeing in the park at midnight nor an 18 yr old having sex with a 15 yr old who said she was 17. He's a known threat.
September 29, 2026, 09:01 AM
egregore
quote:
by ruger357, previous page: Otherwise I would move. Seriously.

Why in the world would you move?
September 29, 2026, 09:29 AM
HRK
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
^^^^^
Seriously, the amount of hand wringing in this thread is a bit silly. Be informed and be aware. And go on about your life.


Agreed, much is what people would like to do and most is stuff you should never do. I would not engage him, discuss it, sit on the porch cleaning a shotgun all the old joke tales.

First off, it's the parents that should be having the discussion with the granddaughter, if they want you and grandma present they will tell you.

So talk with mom and dad and tell them if they want you involved in the discussion or, what they want you to help with and they expect of the granddaughter regarding this person.


Cameras: Blinks are bottom level, they react slow, he could walk to your front door and leave before you get the notice, I replaced mine with Ring 4K.

Ring has a better system, faster notification and with a subscription storage of all video from all cameras.

https://ring.com/outdoor-security-cameras

Ring Models include Outdoor, Outdoor 2K, Outdoor 2K Plus and Outdoor Cam 4K levels. Go with the 4K pro, the video resolution is what you want. You'll get immediate notifications and the AI software can even tell you if it's someone you know, a human, a car or just motion ie an animal.

I suggest if you have spotlights on the corner of your home replace them with Ring 4K Spotlight cameras, then turn on the power 24/7 so you don't have to mess with batteries. Set them up so you can see all the action on the street toward your grand daughters home. Advise you daughter to do the same.

Setting up the Ring outdoor spotlight cams is easy, you download the app and setup an account, scan the QR code for the camera, setup is easy, name it, then just wire it up for power like a new spotlight. Turn on the power, let it sync, then move to the next one, same thing.

BTW Outdoor Ring Spotlight Cam is on sale right now for $199 each, that's $80 off, and you can get them from Ring, Amazon, Lowes.... I got mine at Lowes.

https://ring.com/products/floodlight-cam-pro-2nd-gen



Other than that, don't confront him, wear you gun on your hip in the yard, put up signs.
September 29, 2026, 09:52 AM
sigfreund
Whenever I see the advice of “just move,” I can only think that the poster lives in a tent on public land or in their car.




“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
September 29, 2026, 10:03 AM
ruger357
Ok. I wouldn’t want to live on one side of him and my grand daughter on the other side. Better?


-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
September 29, 2026, 10:35 AM
badguybuster
He may have restrictions on how close he can live to children. Check it


"Dyin ain't much of a livin...boy"
September 29, 2026, 04:14 PM
slosig
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
I doubt there is anything you can do about it except to tell them to beware. I have them in my neighborhood and have never had an issue. When we live in neighborhoods we give up the ability to choose who can move in close to us. It can be avoided by living in rural areas but that is not possible for everyone.
And even in rural areas one has neighbors, and rarely any control over who the neighbors are. If you’re fortunate, it may be a good distance to your closest neighbor, but you’ll still have neighbors.