SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gas jumped up $.30 in the last 4 days, what’s it doing in your neck of the woods?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 52
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gas jumped up $.30 in the last 4 days, what’s it doing in your neck of the woods? Login/Join 
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
3.62 Premium at Costco Sterling VA

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2673 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
$3.39 for the cheap stuff here in central Texas.

We don't have to drive that much but try to keep all three vehicles full. Also keep 20-25gal of lawnmower & mixed gas on hand as well just incase.

Posts: 18034 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig 226:
3.62 Premium at Costco Sterling VA

$3.69 today at the same Costco

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2673 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Two weeks ago I filled the tank at $3.34 a gallon. Today it is $3.80

Posts: 53175 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeaCliff
posted Hide Post
$4.75 for Mobil Regular yesterday.
Thank goodness my car only holds 11 gal.

Posts: 1894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
$3.69 100 miles from the Delaware Basin oil fields of western Texas

Posts: 26899 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just paid 4.55 for regular unleaded at an independent dealer here in Costa Misery. A couple blocks away a Chevron was getting 5.09 for the same.

Posts: 756 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
Been holding steady at $3.06/gal for the week. 15 miles to the west it’s $3.39/gal. 30 miles to the north to the town where one of the largest southeastern hubs/distribution centers is located and it’ $3.29/gal. This local disparity in pricing is not new - just odd.

Posts: 1102 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
$3.49 here in NC yesterday for 87 unleaded.

It was $1.99 on NYE 2020. FJB

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Jumped here. Anywhere from 3.49 to 3.69. I knew it would jump once Russia started it.

Posts: 1126 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
3.59 at most stations in West Michigan today.

Posts: 770 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
I get gas in both cars at the same station every week & usually even at the same pump.

Looking back a bit, we've gone from (all 87 gasoline):
$2.599 in Dec
$2.659 in Jan
$2.999 at the beginning of Feb
$3.059 last week
$3.039 yesterday morning

$3.099 today for 87

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15302 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Premium gas $11 here.

Posts: 11320 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
Premium gas $11 here.

Jesus! At that price an EV really makes a lot of sense.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6315 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
At the local Costco it was $3.44 last week, dropped to $3.42 yesterday.

Posts: 1347 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Premium gas $11 here.

Eek
Is that usd/gal or gbp/l ?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15302 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Currently, EPA air attainment areas (plus additional state law required areas) are selling CBOB (normal vapor pressure regular unleaded gasoline that burns easier in the winter) and they'll have to switch to RBOB (reformulated regular unleaded gasoline which has a lower vapor pressure to reduce summer emissions) in the spring to avoid fines (i.e. this drives prices for RBOB always going up in the spring). To make the date for having the right vapor pressure at the pump, refineries have to switch to RBOB production several weeks early and it cascades through everybody in the transporting (e.g. pipelines, ships, barges) and storage business. In other words, the Ukraine invasion is occurring at a really shitty time for gasoline prices.

Gasoline is a fungible commodity traded on NYMEX. The quote I look at is RBOB for historical and future prices. Its displayed price is per gallon without transportation costs, storage costs, and taxes. What I see when I look at NYMEX:
  • currently, RBOB is $2.73 which is $0.76 per gallon higher than last year
  • June 2021 RBOB averaged $2.21 and June 2022 futures price closed Friday $0.60 per gallon higher than last year.
  • NYMEX traders are putting a $0.16 premium on RBOB now versus June.

What can a Sigforumite do:
  • use an app or website such as GasBuddy to make educated decision when filling up. Use the brand filters to display the cheapest "Top Tier" gasoline or diesel. It's not worth driving out of your way for a penny a gallon, but I'm currently seeing $0.20 per gallon difference between top tiers in my area and occasionally I see $0.30 per gallon spread.
  • if you really have a strong opinion of gasoline prices being higher or lower than current future prices you can make an investment since it is a commodity traded on NYMEX. Going long means you're betting on it being higher and going short means you're betting on it being lower.

DISCLOSURES:
  • My employer sells gasoline, but I'm currently not in that portion of the business. However, I am prohibited from buying or selling refined product, crude oil, or natural gas futures.
  • I'm not an investment advisor.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23242 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    half-genius,
    half-wit
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by P250UA5:
    quote:
    Premium gas $11 here.

Eek
    Is that usd/gal or gbp/l ?

Sorry, we only have UK gallons here.

Make it ten bucks even.

Posts: 11320 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Good enough is neither
    good, nor enough
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by sig77:
    3.07 at Sams club and 3.29 at the QT.

Update….$3.49

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of jtedescucci
    posted Hide Post
    The day OF, or the day AFTER Russia invaded I bought the absolute cheapest gas I could find for $3.17 per gallon - KMOWING that I might very well never find gas that cheap again. But then things usually are just a little cheaper here in Tennessee.

"...we have put together I think the most extensive & inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics." - Joe Biden

Posts: 3043 | Location: AC/Clarksville | Registered: February 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post