SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question about US ICBM launches for those in the know. (Reference to a novel.)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about US ICBM launches for those in the know. (Reference to a novel.) Login/Join 
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
In my uneducated opinion, if the attacker is relatively nearby, launch a IR-guided (heat seeker) missile at the ICBM, being a hot-launch the missile will home-in and detonate if not on the missile close enough to destroy it or, create a mission kill.

You have less than 45 seconds from the time it clears the silo to hit it.

It will be at Mach 1 about 15 seconds and past Mach 5 at about the end of the boost (1st stage)

If you have not had a solution and fired before 30 seconds, you likely will not succeed.

And you better be within 5 miles from the launch site.

Think, Greyhound racing but with a boosted bunny.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44498 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post