SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Alarm System " AC Lost" - Help!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alarm System " AC Lost" - Help! Login/Join 
posted
My home is 20 years old & the hardwired alarm system was installed when the home was built. The outlet the transformer was plugged into has no power. I plugged the tranformer into an extension cord from a nearby outlet and transformer works fine. I replaced the outlet & still no power to the outlet. I checked all the circuit breakers and all worked fine. Before the AC power was lost I had intermitent "AC Lost" messages. The battery was about 5 years old so I replaced it with the same model & the alarm system works fine using battery power only. What could be the outlet wiring problem?

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4275 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
My home is 20 years old & the hardwired alarm system was installed when the home was built. The outlet the transformer was plugged into has no power. I plugged the tranformer into an extension cord from a nearby outlet and transformer works fine. I replaced the outlet & still no power to the outlet. I checked all the circuit breakers and all worked fine. Before the AC power was lost I had intermitent "AC Lost" messages. The battery was about 5 years old so I replaced it with the same model & the alarm system works fine using battery power only. What could be the outlet wiring problem?

Loose ground wire somewhere.

Posts: 2939 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Loose connection up stream. If you have no troubleshooting skills or testers try this.
The easiest way to find it is to plug in a lamp to the non working outlet. Station someone in front of the lamp. Go to nearby outlets starting with ones and check outlets with a 'bug eye' outlet tester. Check for no voltage or lost neutral readings. This is where the second person comes in. Make sure they keep their eye on lamp as you are testing, after testing outlet wiggle and shake the tester in the outlet. The second person will possibly see a flicker either when plugging in tester or while you wiggle it. Also pound on the wall with a flat palm around each outlet. Also it makes most sense to start with outles between the dead outlet and electrical panel. You can also use the palm pounding technique near switches.

If this is located in a kitchen, hopefully you've already checked the GFI, similarly if in a unfinished area, it's likely GFI controlled.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20830 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcereuss:

*Neural is most likely, alarm transformers don't use a ground.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20830 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by bcereuss:

*Neural is most likely, alarm transformers don't use a ground.

I defer to you...I'm an amateur!

Posts: 2939 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Not sure how a loose ground wire is going to cause the outlet to not have power... I'm wondering if it is on a ground fault circuit breaker in line somewhere....

the wiring to outlets in a house are spliced in line at different boxes and so you can lose a connection at one of these and it is often hard to find.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
GFCI Outlet (tripped or faulty) on the same circuit somewhere?

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8921 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
GFCI Outlet (tripped or faulty) on the same circuit somewhere?

Maybe, I checked all the GFCI Outlets with an outlet testor. I reset all GF panel breakers & outlet breakers & all are OK. I called my goto HVAC client & he is sending an electrician.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4275 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post