SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Vitamin D level, mine is low/sub optimal
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vitamin D level, mine is low/sub optimal Login/Join 
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I can’t seem to absorb vitamin d from pills, etc. (Celiac’s can cause absorption issues, so…)

I take ridiculous amounts, sub lingually, and sun bathe - which got my levels up to the 20s. My doc is OK with my levels, because I now have some vitamin d.

I’m curious if the standards could be inflated from vitamin D supplementation in most milk/milk has vitamin d in it, to prevent illness in kids, because so many urban youth, had deficiencies.

Posts: 5929 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Low Country, SC. | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Vitamin D is fat soluble and needs to be taken with some fat to help the body absorb it.

My wife makes a smoothie for us every morning that has fruit, leafy greens, a protein (quinoa, pea protein, spirulina, etc.) and some olive oil. The vitamin D supplement is taken with the smoothie.

Posts: 9297 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
My 25-hydroxy was in the 70s last fall. Haven't been outside a whole lot, or sunbathing. I will only take 1 or 2 5k IU softfels (Carlyle) if I feel something coming on. I eat a lot of mushrooms with my steak. Over the last few years I have managed to increase it from the mid 40s to above a reccomended minimun in the 50s.

Posts: 3601 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
The only multi (I take an assortment of vitamins and mineral supplements) that absorbs well for me is GNC’s Mega Mens. They recommend 2 per day and I do that but I take one with a meal, then the 2nd with another meal. And I follow it up with Nature Bounty’s Hair Skin and Nails at night with yet another meal. Works well too, hair/nails grow fast, skin is good, but the confirmation is my annual blood work with my PCP. I eat a lot of protein, and eat a lot of super antioxidant fruits. And drink a lot of water per day. 10 cans of carbonated water per day + whatever I use at the gym, and that is regular old tap but with electrolyte powder mixed in. Usually Gatorade Zero packets or Propel.

What were your T levels? T and Free T? Those are huge to figure out. I started having sports related injuries starting at 45. I’ve studied T for decades and have always done the maximum I could to produce it naturally. Lots of protein, heavy weights, and OTC T supplements that contain things like Korean Ginseng, and various roots to max production for my age. After tearing several tendons over the years, and both labrums I had my T levels checked Q4 of 2023 and I was at 500 T level. Ortho wants me at around 800 so I got on TRT. I’m out of the gym and have been for 6 months due to a really bad tendon tear. Originally I did stem cells, then cortisone and all was good, went back to the gym. Within a month all the pain came back, got a MRI, confirmed the tear, did a PRP injection and it’s finally healing but not myself, nor my ortho, knows if this is more from the PRP or going on TRT. T production is key to mens health IMO. If you are too low for your age it can affect a myriad of things. Only been on a it a few months now and need more time but I’m sleeping better, burning fat better, and the fatigue I was experiencing is starting to go away.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12963 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
What were your T levels? T and Free T? Those are huge to figure out.

Edit 021223:

I got my T results.Total was 259 and 54. From what I can tell it is just above average for my age which was disappointing. My MD said that was on the low end of normal and it probably did not help that my blood draw was 10:40 AM as earlier is better. I have also read multiple reports on Vitamin D and testosterone are linked somehow and that raising of Vitamin D levels when low also raises testosterone levels for many . So I going to work on raising my Vitamin D levels and get both tests done again probably in 4-6 months. Also working on increasing consumption of good fat. Started eating a medium size avocado each day and tablespoon or two of extra virgin olive oil. Will also try to have salmon at least twice a week.

I am still waiting for the results and hope to have them soon. At 72 never had that tested before but I am very curious as what you say is very true.

Sorry to hear about your injury and hope you get it resolved soon so you can get back to business working out.

I just started working out last April and have been doing strength training three times a week plus about 90 minutes of cardio too. I have seen significant improvement and feel better. I use a trainer once every other week and he has setup good workouts for me and educated me a ton on fitness especially in regards to core and lower body strength plus he is a stickler on doing exercises to correct form. Yeah a lot of guys think barbell hip thrusts (using 250 lbs at 15 reps now) are only for girls but my glutes are amazingly stronger. Doing barbell back squats and RDLs too now. Seeing my younger brother deteriorate to the point of occasionally using a walker and his poor posture has scared the crap out of me.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: grumpy1,

Posts: 9850 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I was taking 10k IU even days and 5k IU odd days. That was not helping.
Now I am on a monthly injection and my wife likes that since she now gets to stab me once a month.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25703 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, mine was low because of a health issue. My doctor put me on D3 2000 IUs but he also has me take 2 Tums every night too. My numbers stabilized and went back up to healthy levels and have stayed there. My point is that I don't recall anyone else being told to take Tums with their D3 supplement.

Posts: 12583 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
Unfortunately, mine was low because of a health issue. My doctor put me on D3 2000 IUs but he also has me take 2 Tums every night too. My numbers stabilized and went back up to healthy levels and have stayed there. My point is that I don't recall anyone else being told to take Tums with their D3 supplement.

Hmm. Tums has a lot of calcium. Maybe your calcium was a little low or he thought it would be good to sooth your stomach or both? Good to hear your level is back to normal. Smile

Posts: 9850 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Well I heard back from my doctor via messsage he left on the portal:

"vitamin d is low; start 50,000 IU weekly x 12 weeks then 2000 iu daily over the counter after that."

Also sent a prescription of Vitamin D to my pharmacy for that.

No Comment
posted Hide Post
Vitamin D is a hormone not actually a vitimin and you have to take vitamin K2 with it unless you are on blood thinners. Last year at my physical they told me my vitamin D level was to high at 120 I have ignored them. I have found I feel better when taking D and K2. The three books I read are listed below

High-Dose Vitamin D Therapy
by Tiago Henriques, Miriam Henriques

The Optimal Dose:
by Judson Somerville MD

THE MIRACULOUS RESULTS OF EXTREMELY HIGH DOSES OF THE SUNSHINE HORMONE...
by Jeff T Bowles

Posts: 35 | Location: Springfield MO | Registered: January 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoney180:
Vitamin D is a hormone not actually a vitimin and you have to take vitamin K2 with it unless you are on blood thinners. Last year at my physical they told me my vitamin D level was to high at 120 I have ignored them. I have found I feel better when taking D and K2. The three books I read are listed below

High-Dose Vitamin D Therapy
by Tiago Henriques, Miriam Henriques

The Optimal Dose:
by Judson Somerville MD

THE MIRACULOUS RESULTS OF EXTREMELY HIGH DOSES OF THE SUNSHINE HORMONE...
by Jeff T Bowles

Good for you! My primary MD does not share that view but I agree a lot of compelling evidence. I want to get my level to into top third of "optimal range" of 30-100. I also just read that gallbladder removal can affect absorption of fat soluble vitamins like D. I had mine removed in early 2021.

Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well I heard back from my doctor via messsage he left on the portal:

"vitamin d is low; start 50,000 IU weekly x 12 weeks then 2000 iu daily over the counter after that."

Also sent a prescription of Vitamin D to my pharmacy for that.

Just an update. I had my Vitamin D level tested again a couple days ago and it is up to 56 now from 25 on February 8th which I guess is pretty decent after finishing my prescription from my MD

Not sure what my problem was before. Maybe the vitamin D I was taking before was of poor quality or not taking on empty stomach makes a big difference. I have changed brands to Now brand Vitamin D and will be taking 5000iu a day with a meal and an extra 5000iu three times a week. That is what my wife does on advice from her on endocrinologist and will get tested again in 4 months.

The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
The only things which get mine up are sun exposure and sub lingual drops - and it takes a really large dose of the drops.

Sun exposure does a lot.

I’m not sure if a tanning salon will work, but I know they used to have sun lamps to increase vitamin D

Posts: 5929 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Low Country, SC. | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I read tanning beds only work if they have UVB bulb and supposedly not many do any more. Yeah I plan to get extra sun exposure (doing it safely) this year to get my level up even more before fall.

Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished
posted Hide Post
I'm 58 and just had my D25 hydroxy measured last week at my annual physical at 78 ng/ml. This is after taking 7000IU with K daily for about a year, I was taking about 5000IU daily for the year before. Two years ago it was 39 ("normal" on this scale is 30 - 100). Since starting supplementation I feel generally better and it seems like I shrug off the common cold rather easily or just don't get one anymore. I'm probably good but I'm thinking of going to 10K IU daily. Make sure what you're taking is D3. Most foods that have "Vitamin D" contain D2 which is essentially useless.

Posts: 4090 | Location: NC | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Good to hear. I am taking K2 daily also. My doses will average 7000IU D3 a day also.

Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I was taking 10000 iu of D3 for a while but my doctor told me it was too much and to drop it down to 5000, which I have been taking now for years. There seem to be a lot of different doctor opinions on dosage.

Posts: 6738 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post