SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    AMC Now Charging Moviegoers Extra For "Preferred" Seating
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AMC Now Charging Moviegoers Extra For "Preferred" Seating Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
January, 2020. That was the last time I was in a movie theater (Richard Jewell) and it was an AMC theater. The seats were very comfortable. This stuff, however, well, I can't see myself going back to an AMC theater, ever, especially since I'm unlikely to go back to the any theater chain from now on.

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
The premium seats is just location?

Will they be cleaner? Or just as sticky or maybe stickier than other seats?

Will they be isolated somewhat from assholes using their cellphones during the movie?

Are they more comfortable? More legroom / hip room? Nobody behind you to kick your seat? Nobody in front to block your view?

I can tell it's been a while since you've been into a movie theater. Seating, at local theaters, is a lot different than it used to be...it is a lot more like high end home theater seating

The people behind you aren't close enough to kick your seat and the ones in front aren't close enough to block your view. Most seats are grouped in sets of two and you're not close enough for cell phone screens to be bothered. The seats are wider and are power recliners with each seat having it's own cup holder...the last movie I saw was DUNE and they even had a wine/beer bar

I'm also surprised they haven't charged more for preferred seating earlier.

Maybe it's more a West Coast thing. I was in a multiplex (24 screens) in FL recently and they had the older seating arrangement

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14183 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I quit AMC completely about 13 years ago when they posted the Texas '30.06' signs, preventing even legal, state licensed firearms carry. My wife understood that I would not darken the door at an AMC theater.
... and so we walked out of their lives forever...

Posts: 7254 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
And all of this is sad. Wifey and I used to like to go for an early dinner and to a movie. They had reasonable prices, good movies, easy in and out, reasonable concessions. No, none of the recliners you have today but comfortable seats.

No more, and they wonder why theaters are failing.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
I quit AMC completely about 13 years ago when they posted the Texas '30.06' signs, preventing even legal, state licensed firearms carry.

One of the small loopholes of living in a state which doesn't have commonly issued CCW is that businesses don't have the ability to post signs like that...that have any legal weight

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14183 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Google AMC for a laugh; they are getting hammered across the board for this nonsense. Even actors like Elijah Wood are openly saying what a bad idea it is.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/...-corporate-greed.amp

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15571 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
They were all nearly sunk during the "pandemic". Things start to get back to normal and they pull this shit? Bad business if you ask me.

I'm sure the billions they received in PPP money kept them floating nicely.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4832 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lucky to be Irish
posted Hide Post
Just went a few weeks ago, first time in about a year. There were about ten people total.

So, their latest idea is to charge more for better viewing, when I can sit wherever I want now because there are so few people.

Great idea! Increase the price of concessions a little more while you’re at it. Smile

Posts: 1770 | Location: Mason, OH | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Hollywood crowd, the one’s -

* that pushed for covid lockdown’s and harsh punishment for those choosing to not get ‘vaccinated’

* that funded bail money for blm and antifa following their arrests for rioting, burning, looting, raping, murdering and attacking law enforcement

* that live in an obscene world of their creation where children and adults of both sexes are sexually abused and raped, often after their victims are unknowingly drugged

* that profit immensely off of all sorts of extreme violence but then demand that we willingly submit to the whims of their “gun safety” ideas

* that push their “progressive” ideology through the production of their crappy products

CAN. ALL. GO. FUCK. THEMSELVES.

Posts: 3475 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was a pre-teen and teen, I loved to go to the movie theater in our small town. It wasn't particularly clean, restrooms stunk and were just plain dirty, and everyone, who cared to do so, smoked in the theater.

By the time I got out of the service, asking a girl to go to a movie was a little old fashioned and I rarely went to a movie.

Married for nearly 40 years, we very, very rarely have been to a theater and, in fact I only recognized three of the movies on Black 92LX's list that I had heard of or seen. Yup, you're right! I don't get out much. I really prefer the older 30s-thru 60s movies, featuring cowboys like Hoppy (my fav), cavalry and war up to and including WW2. I only find them on my TV, the Westerns Channel, GRIT and MOVIES and that's generally the only three channels that are seen on my TV, at least by me. My wife watches others, like Hallmark (yuck!).

We have every possible channel on our cable system (not my idea, but ...) and there are so many movie selections there as well. I hear or read about some movie, once in a while, and think, "Hey, I'd like to see that," and, sure enough, very shortly it's right there on some channel of my terribly over-priced cable system.

So I haven't experienced the new seating arrangements 9mmepiphany described. And I suppose I never will. It's just me and Hoppy.

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
The last time I was in a theater was to see Bohemian Rhapsody with my daughter. There is no ambiance to theaters any longer. Actually it's not the theaters fault Hollywood can't produce something people want to see. The best Hollywood can do is to continually regurgitate these stupid super hero comic movies.

This pic resembles pretty closely the theater I went to as young kid where we would see the Saturday matinee with a Ma and Pa Kettle or Stooges or Abbot and Costello short followed by the newest John Wayne western. This was theater ambiance!

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8531 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
I quit AMC completely about 13 years ago when they posted the Texas '30.06' signs, preventing even legal, state licensed firearms carry. My wife understood that I would not darken the door at an AMC theater.
... and so we walked out of their lives forever...

As the old saying goes "keep it concealed".

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jupiter:
I'm sure the billions they received in PPP money kept them floating nicely.

How in the world did AMC qualify for billions in PPP money??

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
I love going to the movies, or at least I did. Between rising prices for tickets/concessions and an overall decline (IMO) in the quality of movies, I rarely go anymore. I hated the change to assigned seating in movie theaters, but at least that wasn't a blatant money grab.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
That's cute. Last movie I saw there was 4-5 couples in the whole theater. Good luck.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Becca and I went to see Love Story in 1970. Figured I might get lucky after a chick flick. No dice. Becca was so upset Jenny died, she didn't talk to me for days. Dumped me a couple weeks later but not before I had to buy her a Christmas present. Not sure if it was the movie or the present. (Now that I think about it, maybe it was just me.) Anyway, last time I was in a theater. Drive-ins proved much more rewarding.

Posts: 641 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I can almost count on one hand the number that I've seen in the theater in the past decade-ish, and that was basically just for the fully-immersive experience.

I can count on one hand the number of movies that I've seen in theatres in three decades!

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You're missing nothing. They play commercials- actual TV commercials before the previews, and they BLAST the sound of these commercials and previews at a level tantamount to an assault.

If you do go to a movie theater these days, check the feature time, then show up in the theater 20 minutes after that published time.

And bring ear plugs.

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The last time I set foot in a movie theatre was 1992 . My wife will take the grandkids but I'm holding fast on my boycott . Big Grin

Posts: 4054 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I say bring back the Drive In. I think the technology is there to cool the car, rid the area of skeeters and have good sound quality. I always enjoyed it.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post