SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How common is tipping appliance delivery/installation people?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How common is tipping appliance delivery/installation people? Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
Paying the dealer for the delivery and install, so is tipping appropriate? I’m not sure if it will be the dealer’s people or a contracted service.

Posts: 17903 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
I do it.

I'm happy to have good work done, and I'm always grateful for a professional install and a good cleanup afterward.

Posts: 15036 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
I always tip if they do a good job and are courteous. I tip tradesmen as well, after a job is done. I never have to wait long if I need a good electrician or a plumber or a carpenter.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Most likely they are a contracted service. If the service was good, I'll give them enough to cover for a quick lunch. Water/Gatorade is always offered regardless of service, that's just decency there, IMO.

Posts: 13148 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Most likely they are a contracted service. If the service was good, I'll give them enough to cover for a quick lunch. Water/Gatorade is always offered regardless of service, that's just decency there, IMO.

This for me as well. I generally always tip people IF they do a good job.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Yes, if they don't damage anything.

Posts: 1975 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
You should..

Posts: 13819 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
If you are asking, then you should just tip. Worst they can say is no.

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4313 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
We deliver safes, and probably get tipped 1% of the time. Not very common, but certainly appreciated.

One of the best tips we received were a few brand new tape measures. We carry them in the truck and use them regularly.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15729 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I tipped the two guys who installed our dishwasher a couple of weeks ago. They were independent contractors and did an excellent job. They also went out of their way to fit us in quickly. I didn't tip the plumbers who installed our hot water heater recently. They worked directly for a large local plumbing company. We paid them a lump sum for the heater and the installation. I didn't feel like they really earned a tip. The whole experience was pretty irritating, and we won't be using them again.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I do it, too. Two guys show up with a truck and bring in a fridge or a washer, they get enough each for a tip to buy lunch.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
In this day and age, it's expected. It's no required, and you'll probably never see them again. So it's up to you, but it is something that's very often done.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I had appliances delivered I tip with cash and bottles of water.

Provided they didn't break anything, moving guys get a take out meal and/or cash.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

agree

a small appreciated gesture for guys out busting their ass

-----------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s usually contracted if it’s a big box store delivery. I just replaced my dryer from Lowe’s. Their three contracted guys come out and between the three of them you had the IQ of a cereal box. They couldn’t figure out their moving straps so they scraped up the front. They didn’t screw on the leveling feet. Lowe’s told me to give them new ducting for the install. I bought what I thought was overkill, 8 feet worth. Upon reading 5he label it was 20. Well ok, I’ll have extra. Turns out they can’t cut ducting and apparently won’t tell you that. So I go up to find the ducting TAPED on with hvac tape, the clamp is on the dryer output pipe but not on the actual ducting and ALL 20 feet is serpentined around my laundry room. Final kick in the nuts? They threw away the electric power cord restraining collar and just attached the power cord by the electrical screws.

Dumbest mother fuckers I’ve ever ran into. No tip. And 20% off. And a new dryer was delivered and installed properly 3 days later. Those guys got a tip.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It never occurred to me to tip a delivery man for furniture or appliances.

I offer them a drink, of course, as I would almost anyone.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
If I ask them to do something extra, like move something unrelated, then yes.

Extra service = extra pay.

For just the usual, usually not.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17471 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
We deliver safes, and probably get tipped 1% of the time. Not very common, but certainly appreciated.

If I get a safe delivered, I'm sure as hell going to tip. That's not easy work there. Between the weight and the bulk, it's something I can't do myself. Delivering safes cannot be an easy way to make a living.

Posts: 13148 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
It never occurred to me to tip a delivery man for furniture or appliances.

I offer them a drink, of course, as I would almost anyone.

This is what I do.

quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
If I ask them to do something extra, like move something unrelated, then yes.

Extra service = extra pay.

For just the usual, usually not.

Again, same as I do.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always tip. I used to be a delivery person until I got a better job. You have NO idea how disgusting people are. We used to make minimum wage unless you owned the vehicle then, it's minimum plus $1 a mile. Heck yeah, tip these guys.

Posts: 507 | Registered: February 14, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post