SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Proposed change to Tennessee gun law
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Proposed change to Tennessee gun law Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
Looks like Governor DeSantis may have started a trend.

REP. REEDY FILES LEGISLATION TO ALLOW USE OF DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT REAL AND PERSONAL PROPERTY

Rep. Jay D. Reedy has filed House Bill 0011 which proposes a major change in Tennessee law. The unusual thing is that the bill actually appears to reflect what a lot of Tennesseans already believe is the law but is not. The new legislation reflects a heightened interest in the rights of people to protect their homes, businesses, properties and items from thieves, rioters, looters and other criminals.

Under current Tennessee law (see generally Tennessee Code Annotated Sec. 39-11-614 for example), a civilian is not allowed to use deadly force to a) protect personal property, b) to stop a trespass on real property, c) to terminate an attempted theft of property, or d) to make a citizen’s arrest. Further, under Tennessee law, the use of “deadly force” does not require that a person actually discharge a firearm or cause injury with any other weapon. A person may be accused and convicted of using deadly force merely by “brandishing” a weapon, that is, displaying it in a threatening manner towards another.

Tennesseans have expressed a heightened interest in their belief that they can protect their homes, cars, businesses and property from criminals particularly after the riots and looting events that have occurred across the nation in recent years. Further, the events involving Mark and Patrician McCloskey who stood outside their home in Missouri with firearms to resist a mob have also generated a great deal of discussion in Tennessee about what rights do Tennessean’s have to protect their homes from rioters, looters, violent protesters or mobs.

Rep. Reedy’s bill is the first to be filed this year that touches on key Second Amendment issues related to individual rights to protect their lives, families and assets. As initially filed, it proposes circumstances under which an individually might be legally justified in Tennessee to use deadly force against a specific criminal or group of criminals (e.g., brandishing a weapon or yelling “leave my property or I will shoot”).

In light of the events of 2020 and the increasing trends over the last few years of public episodes of intentional violence, mobs, looting, rioting often with little or no police resistance (particularly in major cities), the rights of individuals who are victims of such planned criminal events is now in the spotlight.

https://tennesseefirearms.com/...d-personal-property/

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Good. I hope this is enacted in more states.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Thank you for posting this. This is good to know. I hope it goes through.
I own property in Tennessee and hope to retire there some day.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2572 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
I kindof like it; but it needs to be very specific in nature. I don't think you should be allowed to shoot someone because they are stealing your lawnmower.

Car? Not sure.

A mob approaching the house with obvious intent ? Brandishing shouldn't be a crime. When are you allowed to shoot ? How many is a mob ? what constitutes "obvious intent to harm" ?

I like the idea, but it has to be spelled out or the wrong folks will die OR the wrong folks will go to jail while the specifics get hashed out in the courts.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Good. I hope this is enacted in more states.

Careful what you wish for.
It needs to be very specific and great wisdom used in crafting this legislation.
Remember, leftist thugs will be trying to use this too.

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Devil's advocate here...
If the number is 7 or more to make up a mob that you can legally ward off. What happens if say a group of 12 breaks up into two groups of 6 are coming at you from opposing directions? Or simply a mob of 200 passing by and perhaps wave after wave of groups of 6 are approaching your location?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Ohio too.
Of course all the articles I can find blather on about how it is such a bad idea.
https://fox8.com/news/i-team/l...es-to-ohio-gun-laws/

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25425 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRIO:
Devil's advocate here...
If the number is 7 or more to make up a mob that you can legally ward off. What happens if say a group of 12 breaks up into two groups of 6 are coming at you from opposing directions? Or simply a mob of 200 passing by and perhaps wave after wave of groups of 6 are approaching your location?

At the end of the day, you still have to justify deadly force. You can’t just go “Five, Six, Seven,......boom”. If you are justified in using deadly force on seven, you’re going to be justified if it’s six. The law is just giving you extra protection if there are seven or more.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Some rules here: I'm using a shotgun because there are very few rifling marks on the shot. When they come to recruit the idiot next door they're going to be pissed to learn he went to the big house 15 years ago. Taking out their frustrations on me will probably get them shot. Real good, as in OO buck. The nearest liquor store is a half mile down the road. It'll get real dry out this way, they're better off staying in town. Can't get a cop here when you need them, sure don't expect one when I don't.

The changes proposed sound like a good first step. There are laws and then there are how things really work. It would seem what the Tennessee guy is proposing is pretty much how things already work. First the cop's got to arrest you. Working against common sense is the police chief and his commie friends in the city government. Then we've got grand juries that often have a few good ole boys who compare how somebody acted against how they figure they'd act. It instills common sense into the whole mix up. Sounds to me like those folks down in TN have some stupid or crazy laws that need fixin'.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Ideally if you put someone down that has it coming it should be obvious to the responding police. Followed by: "Sorry for the inconvenience, someone will be along shortly to clean up the mess."

The end.

Obviously we won't get to that point, but this sounds like a step in the right direction.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post