SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thoughts to Ponder
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Thoughts to Ponder Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
* What if my dog only brings back the ball because he thinks I like throwing it?

* If poison expires, is it more poisonous or is it no longer poisonous?

* Which letter is silent in the word "Scent,” the S or the C?

* Do twins ever realize that one of them is unplanned?

* Why is the letter W, in English, called double U? Shouldn't it be called double V?

* Maybe oxygen is slowly killing you and it just takes 75-100 years to work.

* Every time you clean something, you just make something else dirty.

* The word "swims" upside-down is still "swims."

* Intentionally losing a game of rock, paper, scissors is just as hard as trying to win.

* 100 years ago, everyone owned a horse and only the rich had cars. Today everyone has cars and only the rich own horses.

* Your future self is watching you right now through memories.

* The doctors that told Stephen Hawking he had two years to live in 1953 are probably dead.

* If you replace "W" with "T" in "What, Where and When," you get the answer to each of them.

* Many animals probably need glasses, but nobody knows it.

* If you rip a hole in a net, there are actually fewer holes in it than there were before.

* If 2/2/22 falls on a Tuesday, we'll just call it "2's Day." (It does fall on a Tuesday.)

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

* Why is the letter W, in English, called double U? Shouldn't it be called double V?

“Wynn” still works.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wynn

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2708 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Report This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
It feels like Steven Wright just posted on this thread.

Posts: 4505 | Registered: January 01, 2004Report This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
If water is clear, why does an object appear darker when it absorbs water?

If you dig a hole then fill it half in, isn't it still a whole hole?

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5488 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Report This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Why do you drive on a parkway and park in a driveway?

Posts: 6065 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Report This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
If you’ve got 24 odds and ends on the table and 23 of them fall off, what’ve you got? And odd or an end?
- George Carlin

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Report This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
if Teflon is non-stick, how do they get it to stay in the pan?

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53240 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Report This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why is the letter W, in English, called double U? Shouldn't it be called double V?

In French it is pronounced "double veh".

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31485 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Report This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by italia:
If you’ve got 24 odds and ends on the table and 23 of them fall off, what’ve you got? And odd or an end?
- George Carlin

An odd.

Because there is one on the table and one is an odd number.

Conversely looking at the 23 that fell you have an odd because 23 is an odd number.

Odd, isn't it?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31485 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Report This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Many animals probably need glasses, but nobody knows it.
I put my eaders on my dog's nose, and he walked around looking at stuff very close up, and with great interest. It sure seemed like they improved his near vision.

Posts: 6514 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Report This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
If water is clear, why does an object appear darker when it absorbs water?

What you see is the light reflected off of the object, not the object itself. An item being wet reduces the reflected/refracted light as more of it is absorbed.

quote:
If you dig a hole then fill it half in, isn't it still a whole hole?

No, it is a pit 'till you dig far enough to see a lot of fish or a small Chinese dude looking back at you from his factory floor.

quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
Why do you drive on a parkway and park in a driveway?

Because you need a permit and a license. If you kept driving down the driveway, eventually you'd run into a house. Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
if Teflon is non-stick, how do they get it to stay in the pan?

Thermal expansion and a molecular bonding agent.

quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:
Originally posted by italia:
- George Carlin

An odd.

Conversely looking at the 23 that fell you have an odd because 23 is an odd number.

Odd, isn't it?

Yeah, but that would be the end.

quote:
Originally posted by architect:
quote:
Many animals probably need glasses, but nobody knows it.

I put my eaders on my dog's nose, and he walked around looking at stuff very close up, and with great interest. It sure seemed like they improved his near vision.

You could take him to an animal optometrist. They can check and see if a lens replacement surgery is needed. Then you'll have to monitor his eye pressure every six weeks or so. (didn't see that coming)

So...

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if the woodchuck didn't give a fu darn?

Posts: 9171 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Report This Post
32nd degree
Picture of roarindan
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Why is the letter W, in English, called double U? Shouldn't it be called double V?

"do blah vay "

"the world doesn't end til yer dead, 'til then there's more beatin's in store, stand it like a man, and give some back"
Al Swearengen

Posts: 4588 | Location: East Overshoe, second buckle from the top. | Registered: January 20, 2007Report This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:
If 2/2/22 falls on a Tuesday, we'll just call it "2's Day." (It does fall on a Tuesday.)

It falls on a Wednesday.

Posts: 3666 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Report This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
* Your future self is watching you right now through memories.

We'd probably be better off if we kept that in mind.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
quote:
If 2/2/22 falls on a Tuesday, we'll just call it "2's Day." (It does fall on a Tuesday.)

It falls on a Wednesday.

Sounds like someone forgot about Leap Year or something.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Kinky.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15911 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Report This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
My cousin in Athens says his 535 is a Bee Emm Vey.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Report This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
If you lost your left arm, your right arm would be left, right?

Olives have a pit when the pit has been removed.

Posts: 4820 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Report This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
When you step on the brakes your life is in your foot's hands. - George Carlin

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2020 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
An odd.

Odd, isn't it?

Odd AND PRIME!