SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Traeger. Any recipes?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Traeger. Any recipes? Login/Join 
posted
Bought a new Traeger at Costco Friday afternoon. Had them for the grand opening. Seasoned it last night. Bought some burgers today. Gonna try them tomorrow. Bought the Cherry wood pellets since they won't normally carry them.
Any other things to try? Definitely want to try a brisket.

Posts: 258 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: February 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
Before you get too far down the road, calibrate it. I had a tough time getting ribs to come out well done and I turned to Traegertforum. Turns out the thermostat and the probes are not very accurate. I ordered this simple thermometer and found I was off by almost 30 degrees. To hang at 280* I have to float between 300* and 325*

Thermometer

Posts: 1634 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I ordered this simple thermometer and found I was off by almost 30 degrees.
IMO, these simple, $10 oven thermometers aren't much better. I'd go with something from ThermoWorks.

ThermoWorks

Posts: 9058 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was wondering about this. Cooked some burgers and it showed cooking at 500. Took probably 50% longer to get done.

quote:
Originally posted by SHOOTIN BLANKS:
Before you get too far down the road, calibrate it. I had a tough time getting ribs to come out well done and I turned to Traegertforum. Turns out the thermostat and the probes are not very accurate. I ordered this simple thermometer and found I was off by almost 30 degrees. To hang at 280* I have to float between 300* and 325*

Thermometer

Posts: 258 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: February 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Bacon, buy the 4 pack (blue) costco bacon, thaw, set the temp at 275, cover rack with bacon, let it cook and smoke, and pull bacon when it hits the done level you prefer....

Posts: 23576 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of good info shared on the Traeger forum. I really like Matt Pittmans (Meat Church) stuff on You tube.
Smoked my first brisket a couple weekends ago and it turned out great. 14 hours total cook time @225, wrapped it at 9 hours. It was 15.5 lbs before trimming, so about 13.5. Fed 7 people with no leftovers.

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1211 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Rub:

3 tsp black pepper
2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp rosemary
1/2 tsp cayenne

Cover a tri-tip with this rub and smoke at 225 to your preferred internal temp. I go to 135F and use mostly pecan.

After it's sliced, I drizzle a pepper cream sauce over top and slip into a meat coma.

Posts: 20130 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post