SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Nashville Mayor Megan Barry resigns, pleads guilty to felony theft
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nashville Mayor Megan Barry resigns, pleads guilty to felony theft Login/Join 
No double standards
posted Hide Post
From the article
quote:
...She enjoyed approval ratings topping 70 percent before the scandal and 61 percent weeks after she announced the affair....

So 61% of the people willingly support a liar and a cheater in public office.

I had one of those learning moments when a coworker took no exception to Slick Willy's affairs, commenting "he didn't do anything I wouldn't do if I had the chance". And it is open knowledge that Mass Senator Warren has been a liar and a cheat for decades, her constituents don't care.

Maybe too few Americans today care about honor and integrity. Roll Eyes

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
From the article
quote:
...She enjoyed approval ratings topping 70 percent before the scandal and 61 percent weeks after she announced the affair....

So 61% of the people willingly support a liar and a cheater in public office.

I had one of those learning moments when a coworker took no exception to Slick Willy's affairs, commenting "he didn't do anything I wouldn't do if I had the chance". And it is open knowledge that Mass Senator Warren has been a liar and a cheat for decades, her constituents don't care.

Maybe too few Americans today care about honor and integrity. Roll Eyes

As you have seen me claim quite a few times, cheating has become the national pastime, not baseball.

The rules don’t apply to me, there is a loophole, I can’t be bothered or slowed, why should I have to wait/pay more? Everybody does it.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
I'm sure the local Democrats are crying over losing her. A friend worked on Barry's campaign; I believe that she and a lot of other Democrats saw the mayor as a future candidate for governor of Tennessee.

Depending on what happens with the transit vote, this makes David Briley, the acting mayor, the odds-on favorite in the upcoming special election. His grandfather Beverly was the first mayor of Metro-Nashville when I was a kid and would have been relected again except for term limits, so a lot of the older crowd (can't believe I'm part of that now) still remembers him with respect and will probably be willing to give David a chance.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2109 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by italia:
quote:
Originally posted by satch:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sourdough44:
What’s next with husband Bruce? What does he think of all this affair stuff?[/QUOTE

And the wife of her toy boy.

Her husband Bruce had tweeted out after the news of the affair became public a few weeks ago that he stood by her. No word since yesterday if that is still the case.

The security cop that she was having an affair with - his wife filed for divorce a week or two ago.
Well, at least somebody has some integrity.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2098 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
And it is open knowledge that Mass Senator Warren has been a liar and a cheat for decades, her constituents don't care.

That's called the "Edwin Edwards Effect" named for the infamous corrupt Louisiana Governor of many, many years. When Libtards were queried about said Governor's morals and ethics, they simply replied, "At least he's honest about his corruption".

They. Didn't. Care.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
The only indication in the article that she was a democrat was this "...seen as a rising star nationally and at the city-level for Democrats." Roll Eyes

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4338 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
For people will love only themselves and their money. They will be boastful and proud, scoffing at God, disobedient to their parents, and ungrateful. They will consider nothing sacred. 2 Timothy 3:2 NLT.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5488 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:
And it is open knowledge that Mass Senator Warren has been a liar and a cheat for decades, her constituents don't care.

That's called the "Edwin Edwards Effect" named for the infamous corrupt Louisiana Governor of many, many years. When Libtards were queried about said Governor's morals and ethics, they simply replied, "At least he's honest about his corruption".

They. Didn't. Care.

As one of his predecessors once said, “One of these days, the people of Louisiana are going to get good government.............. and they ain’t gonna like it.”

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jodel-Time
Picture of Mboroman
posted Hide Post
Last night on the local Fox affiliate, they were questioning a Nashville defense attorney about her plea deal. One of the anchors asked him why she never apologized to the citizens of Nashville for what she had done. The attorney, never missing a beat, told them that she had apologized - she plead guilty and that's the apology. A leftist definition by any means. Even though I consider this affiliate to have a liberal bias in their reporting, I thought the female anchor was going to kill that attorney for what he said.

Posts: 566 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mboroman:
Last night on the local Fox affiliate, they were questioning a Nashville defense attorney about her plea deal. One of the anchors asked him why she never apologized to the citizens of Nashville for what she had done. The attorney, never missing a beat, told them that she had apologized - she plead guilty and that's the apology. A leftist definition by any means. Even though I consider this affiliate to have a liberal bias in their reporting, I thought the female anchor was going to kill that attorney for what he said.

For a Dem, using taxpayer money for illegal personal gain isn't something to be remorseful about. It's just standard operating procedure. She probably struggles with understanding that what she did was wrong. Thus, no apology.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mboroman:

What’s the big deal? Office holders have had affairs with secretaries since Roman Empire days, and maybe even the Greeks, makes her work late, and nobody apologizes or repays the salaries.

These days, she keeps her salary, sues for sexual abuse in the work place, and gets her pension as well.

Something like this happened in San Diego. Two city managers had a long running affair. When it was revealed, they were fired. She sued, received a very generous settlement, both had city pensions. While this was sorted put, they divorced their spouses, and when the arrangements for money were in place, they married, retired to live off the proceeds.

Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Embarrassing.........for our city.............

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
Two points...

1. Cheating as a national pastime - isn't that what got Greece into the position it needed a bailout? Cheating on taxes is their national pastime.

2. I was listening to NPR yesterday on the way home. (I know, I know... but I'm not a sports fan, so whenever my other local radio station has anything sports-related, it's automatic/ immediate change the station time.) The story was about too few women in politics, talking (whining) about not having the right amenities for child-bearing women (nursing rooms, free time, etc.). Aside from the whole entitled mentality that the world should bend for their choices, one female politicialwas describing how she coped (paraphrased):

"I went off privately and pumped breast milk, then sent it with a page back to my office."

"And how did the page feel about it?"

"The pages never knew."

So, you took time on the clock away from your job, and you mis-used government resources for personal reasons, and you just admitted it nation-wide. And you feel you're entitled to this and it makes you a good person? Were pages or other taxpayer-paid staff also babysitting your child? You never said, but I could guess.

I'm sorry, I'm a government contractor, and I feel guilty when I use the government printer to print out my airplane boarding passes for a contract-related trip!

SMH....

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3302 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IntrepidTraveler:....Aside from the whole entitled mentality....

I'm sorry, I'm a government contractor, and I feel guilty when I use the government printer to print out my airplane boarding passes for a contract-related trip!

SMH....

I think the whole entitled mentality has and will cause significant damage to America. Entitlement mentality is a parasite. Parasites, if unchecked, will in time kill the host. And paraphrasing CA Senator Kamala Harris, California represents the future. Roll Eyes

You should feel guilty printing your boarding pass that way. What you should do is go to the nearest FedEx store, print your boarding pass there, and properly charge the contract for your labor, fringe benefits, overhead, G&A, and fee. Smile

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post