SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    As A Crime Victim, Is It Kosher To Communicate Directly With Prosecutor?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

As A Crime Victim, Is It Kosher To Communicate Directly With Prosecutor? Login/Join 
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted
I was the victim of a felony theft and the police completely dropped the ball. Two months later and I finally have a report number. I have no confidence that they are planning on putting any effort into anything at all.

The officer who provided the report did say that he was going to turn it over to the prosecutor early this week.

I'd like to know that A) He really did this, and B) I'd really like something to be done about it seeing the opportunity to recover my property is gone.

Kosher to contact them directly?

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15862 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sure. They might talk to you and they might refer you back to the agency

Posts: 5203 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Call him, worse thing they can do is refer you back to the PD...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11476 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Absolutely. No harm

Posts: 13861 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
You may check and see if the Prosecutors office has victim/witness assistants. Every District Attorneys office in NC has these folks whos job it is to make sureyou are contacted, have your questions answered andare assisted through the process.

NC also passed a "Victims rights" statute a few years back to guarantee victims of crime a voice in the judicial system. Good luck! Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Absolutely yes. And any prosecutor who would be offended or angry about a victim calling them should be ashamed of themselves.

Posts: 1172 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Thanks everybody. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15862 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
THEY work for YOU. So, yeah.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Yes. The squeaking wheel gets the grease.

Posts: 9833 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I assume that an arrest was made or the suspect was identified for it to be sent to the prosecutor.
You should contact them to see what the status of the case is. If charges are/were filed, you should have been notified.

Posts: 375 | Location: The once great state of California | Registered: November 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
I assume that an arrest was made or the suspect was identified for it to be sent to the prosecutor.

No arrest. I knew who did it and had my stuff tracked down within 72 hours complete with cooperative witnesses.

Took 2 months to get a report number issued. To the best of my knowledge they did get a statement from a witness between then and now, but that's as far as it has gone with them.

www.zykansafe.com

Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
Around here it's very low priority if it's a property crime even at felony-level. Good luck

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
Thanks everybody. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Possibly off for Columbus Day.

Posts: 17944 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
I would encourage it. Sometimes property crimes get low priority and it helps to remind them that it’s not just a file. It’s only bad it turns into pestering which is obvious to most but not all.

Posts: 6960 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Around here it's very low priority if it's a property crime even at felony-level.

That certainly seems to be their attitude about it, and it makes zero sense to me. Especially considering that I did their job for them and handed it all to them on a silver platter.

Is it because they don't want the crime statistics? I would completely understand in areas that are high crime rates with an officer shortage and a lot of serious criminals to deal with. With the drug problems we are facing it doesn't make any sense to me that they wouldn't crack down on it otherwise. Ignoring crime simply perpetuates the situation.

www.zykansafe.com

Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
In a large number of areas the office of prosecutor is an elected position.

For that reason, he or she should be responsible enough to answer questions pertaining to your issue.

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Our prosecutor last likes communication from the victim; it makes their job a lot easier so yes, call away.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15833 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Here we suggest it to all victims the phone number is right on the case card we provide them. In the instance where an arrest is not made that day the victim is required to contact the prosecutor to file a criminal complaint (separate from the police report) or it will go no where in court and the police investigation is generally less prioritized.
It can be some what of a litmus test in regard how willing the victim is to prosecute and testify in court.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25701 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I had a prosecutor call me and ask which of two sentences I'd prefer in the plea bargain he was trying to set up with the guy who broke into my garage and stole a bunch of stuff and got caught trying to sell it.

Option 1:
1 year in county jail.

Option 2:
2 years of probation and 4 years in prison for violation of probation.

He had an extensive record, so I chose option 2. He violated probation almost immediately and spent 4 years in prison.

Posts: 11697 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post