January 19, 2022, 04:55 PM
selogic
Shutting down Classifieds. **update, page 12***
Nine pages ...
January 19, 2022, 05:00 PM
P220 Smudge
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
If Para actually explicitly asked for opinions on the running of this forum, I'd consider offering one. Without such a solicitation, I don't even waste time pondering such a thing.

This was not a locked sticky, and he’s been engaging with some of the membership. If he didn’t want discussion, I believe he would have said so.

January 19, 2022, 05:06 PM
parabellum
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
Nine pages ...
I have just completed a thorough analysis of this thread and damn if you ain't right.
January 19, 2022, 05:22 PM
LincolnSixEcho
I was quite sad and sorry to see that the classifieds might be taken away though I understand the frustrations that Para deals with, most of which we all have no clue about I’ll bet. For us it’s just an awesome perk of this great forum, a free forum with free membership and the ability to engage in transactions. I have bought and sold a decent amount over the years here and have never had an issue with anyone, thankfully. I recently got burned on another forum though by a member that I put trust into without thinking it through. This place spoils us and is a wonderful group of like minded individuals that I have seen go well above and beyond over the years for each other more times than I can count. Either way, if the classifieds should go, I will miss them, but I’ll remain an active member here and continue to enjoy all it has to offer as I have for almost 17 years now.
January 19, 2022, 05:36 PM
Genorogers
Just this past week, through the classified, I was able to buy 185 rounds of 32 ACP ammo and some 92 Beretta grips that I couldn't purchase at the LGS or any retail around here. The Classified has been a benefit and too bad the assholes could ruin the section but I'm with Para on what or how he decides.
January 19, 2022, 05:39 PM
6guns
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
Nine pages ...
I have just completed a thorough analysis of this thread and damn if you ain't right.

Love that sense of humor! Love the classifieds too. I've bought and sold a bunch, always with good transactions. But I get the headache! I like the idea of eliminating the WTB ads.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>
January 19, 2022, 05:43 PM
soflaac
There is another site that is having serious scammer issues right now due to a vendor database hack mid-year 2021 and is being used due to members having the same account info on both the vendor site and the forum.

Which is a pretty fundamental security flaw, but obviously people fall into it anyway.

Sometimes the most appropriate action is the hardest to accept.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave
January 19, 2022, 05:46 PM
Lord Vaalic
quote:
Originally posted by Genorogers:
The Classified has been a benefit and too bad the assholes could ruin the section but I'm with Para on what or how he decides.

Very nicely summed up.

I would hate to see them go, I would say most of my collection has come from the forum, and its the only way I sell pistols. It would be sorely missed by me, but I understand if that's not possible.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day
January 19, 2022, 05:49 PM
V-Tail
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:

I like the idea of eliminating the WTB ads.
I have used "WTB" when I'm looking for something unusual -- something that's not likely to turn up in a local store or online source, but might be something that a member here has, and doesn't need.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
January 19, 2022, 05:53 PM
parabellum
Some of you fellas what know how to count past nine, tell me about escrow services. Surely, there is a charge for such a service. Who would pay? Hint: it won't be SIGforum.

Seriously, how would this work?
January 19, 2022, 06:04 PM
slosig
quote:
Some of you fellas what know how to count past nine, tell me about escrow services. Surely, there is a charge for such a service. Who would pay? Hint: it won't be SIGforum.

I haven’t seen such a service, but I’d expect some sort of commission basis. 5%, 10%, whatever it is, buyer send funds to the escrow agent. Once funds “clear”, escrow agent notifies both parties. When the transaction is complete, the escrow agent keeps their share and forwards the rest to the seller. Maybe they have a flat fee, but either way I’d expect that they’re getting paid first, and out of the transaction.
January 19, 2022, 06:08 PM
Mustang-PaPa
I've never understood how the escrow service would really work for both sides. Who would decide on the terms, based only on delivery or would one put conditions on its condition or simply satisfaction.

I personally would not use the services and pay a fee for it. If I can't trust the buyer/seller agreement then I will pass on the offering and go on my way.
January 19, 2022, 06:14 PM
low8option
quote:

Just went through one on a transaction on Ebay. After the purchase I sent payment plus 10% of purchase price plus shipping to the escrow company and they notify seller they had the money. After I received item and examined it then I notify the escrow company and they release funds to seller. This is the Readers Digest version of how it worked. They had a sliding scale of charges but mine turned out to be 10%.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment
January 19, 2022, 06:16 PM
parabellum
That's higher than sales tax. That's off the table.
January 19, 2022, 06:35 PM
V-Tail
quote:

That's higher than sales tax.
Birmingham AL, Chicago IL, Long Beach CA, Seattle WA, Tacoma WA, Fremont CA, and Oakland CA are all at or above 10%. Eek

Surprisingly, NYC is not in this elite group.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
January 19, 2022, 06:43 PM
sleepla8er

For an escrow service to protect both parties from fraud:
1) Buyer sending bad check, using stolen credit card, etc.
2) Seller not sending items sold.

The escrow service must receive the item from the seller and the funds from the buyer to protect both parties.

If the escrow service only receives the funds, then there is no protection to the buyer. Funds are sent, escrow service processes & verifies funds are paid, escrow sends funds to seller, seller sends box containing a brick via tracking to buyer. Transaction is complete, tracking shows item was delivered and the weight was approximately correct.

If the escrow does not verify the item being sent, there is no protection for the buyer.

Before all this started, I was going to post my nearly mint condition Browning BDA .45 cal pistol in the classifieds. I was going to ask for a cashier's check drawn from a major bank.

If I'm sent a Wells Fargo cashier's check and I take the check to a Wells Fargo Branch to be cashed, I will know upon presenting the check that Wells Fargo will honor it and hand me cash or they will refuse the check as being bad.

I will not deposit the Wells Fargo cashier's check into my account where the bank can come back days later and remove the funds from my account if the check is bad.

I will not use a Postal Money Order because my local branch does not keep more than a couple hundred bucks on site to pay out.

January 19, 2022, 06:51 PM
Paulie-SoxFan04
postal money order
3rd party feedback reference
google the sellers phone # and/or address
have a 3-5 minute conversation w someone
that feeling in your gut

I dunno, I bought on here maybe 5-6 times, not once had an issue outside of the usps being slower than normal w payment and or shipment

sure I guess anyone can get ripped off, but I think you can cut down on 80-95% of it if you use the above steps

i was once torn on buying off someone til I spoke with them for 10 minutes, person on the other end of the phone actually helped me diagnose another problem I had free of charge Smile

P232, P239, P226, P229, P365, P365XL, Legions, Elites, SAO, DAO.... it never ends
January 19, 2022, 06:55 PM
Ronin1069
It is literally comical that you can pick out the responses in this thread that are obviously from someone who has not been here long enough to understand the culture, or someone who only participates only in classifieds.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
January 19, 2022, 07:06 PM
recoatlift
I also wish the classifieds to stay but most certainly understand para’s thinking. I’ve never bought or sold anything, and it sure is nice having such another benefit to the sig-forum, terrible loss for decent folks.
January 19, 2022, 07:11 PM
Sauer Kraut
I very much appreciate the Classifieds section. Have sold a few things and bought several items there, including buying a nice P220 just a few weeks ago.
It is surely a pain in the ass to keep it running in a decent manner.
For whatever it is worth, Para, I’m thankful for this forum and the good people that participate. It would be great to still have the classifieds around.