SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question for aircraft pilots
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for aircraft pilots Login/Join 
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted
This afternoon talked with a passenger (business class)(unknown type of aircraft) said he as relaxing layed back by way of "ham Radio 146.52fm simplex" mode while I as reclining in my chair 15miles east/south east of Baton Rouge, La. Flying from Flordia enroute to Colorada at approx 500mph. Do not know if this as commercial or private business jet. Question = Doesn"t a "ham operator" need pilots permission to be able to "transmit" talk on the radio while in flight?? Just wondering... ..........Over the years have made contact with pilots of commerical aircraft while they flew across country on several accasions as well as military aircraft pilots.But these pilots were liscened "ham Radio operators" And once while driving made contact with the Russian space station (R0MIR) .These contacts normally only last for seversal minutes at the best.
-...................................................... drill sgt/KL7JIU

This message has been edited. Last edited by: drill sgt,

Posts: 2089 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
This is probably one of those questions that would need to be settled by case law. I'm sure there's a whole mess of different statutes that probably conflict.

It's pretty doubtful the flight crew knew he was transmitting, although I doubt some would care especially depending on the nature of the "business class" flight. Best bet would be to shut down immediately if asked by the flight crew though, that's gonna be fight I wouldn't want to have.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3586 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I'll leave the legalities alone.

Seems rather odd. At 500 mph at altitude and using simplex there would be be a few seconds, at best, of contact, especially with a standard rubber duckie antenna.

I'm of the opinion the other guy was like a Christmas Turkey (too full of shit to fly).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: OKCGene,

Posts: 11994 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
‘Meatball, lineup, angle of attack’ or is it ‘aviate, navigate, & communicate’?

Besides ‘be the ball’, one needs to prioritize tasks at hand. One of my specialties is to disregard.

Sorry, but sometimes it takes to much time to explain everything.

‘Class 18-85 marching into chow’.

Posts: 6423 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
This is probably one of those questions that would need to be settled by case law. I'm sure there's a whole mess of different statutes that probably conflict.

No case law needed; no use of personal electronic devices beyond that specifically approved for that operator. Transmitting on anything that sends a signal outside the aircraft, absolutely not.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
technically yes, if he was transmitting

he would need permission of the aircraft captain

if he was simply listening, then no big deal

Posts: 53850 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
FAR's say it's not allowed. I'm sure we'll get a more expert opinion here soon.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10994 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:
FAR's say it's not allowed. I'm sure we'll get a more expert opinion here soon.

If I know aviation threads on SF, we'll get several, some may conflict, an argument week ensue, devolve into a good old fashioned dick measuring contest, and eight pages later, will have nothing to do with the original question.

I look forward to it.

Posts: 5203 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
I'll leave the legalities alone.

Seems rather odd. At 500 mph at altitude simplex there would be be a few seconds, at best, of contact, especially with a standard rubber duckie antenna.

I'm of the opinion the other guy was like a Christmas Turkey (too full of shit to fly).

I'm going with this. If he was on a plane, it was likely a private jet as I'm guessing legalities aside, you wouldn't get away with talking on a portable radio for very long in a commercial airliner. If nothing else than for the rudeness factor.

Maybe it was Joe Walsh on a private jet to a gig. He's noted for replacing his love for booze and drugs with ham radios once he got clean.

Posts: 6400 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Slight thread drift: Does anyone else miss the in flight channel for cockpit communications? United used to offer that on most flights (channel 9, IIRC), they ended it a year or two back.

Posts: 16019 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post